Newcastle United 1 - 1 Aston Villa - 02/09/12 - post-match reaction from page 39

Dave

we need to stop using our poor set pieces as excuses.  sure it helps if we can actually beat the first man, but if our game is to rely on set pieces to win games we might as well become more like stoke and west ham.

I don't think it's a case of becoming like those teams, but we had ten corners and numerous free-kicks (they made twenty fouls!). Apart from the Cabaye effort at the end, they were gash. You can't afford to pass up that many opportunities to get unchallenged deliveries into good areas.

you know what even if we had decent deliveries today, ba and cisse were both getting in each other's way.  i saw them talking to each after a decent ball in and they were clearing indicating "hey that should be mine"

yeh it would great if we can have good set pieces, but what wasnt our main problem today.  we were lethargic, hence the spaces we left open between our attack and midfield, and midfield and defence.  huge gaping holes that the villa players could had used to punish us had they been a better side.

Totally agree, but when you're playing shite in open play you need to be able to take advantage of set pieces at least. Think that's what Pardew was referring to; even when we got numerous free chances to create chances we couldn't do so. Could easily have got us two extra points today.

we need to stop using our poor set pieces as excuses.  sure it helps if we can actually beat the first man, but if our game is to rely on set pieces to win games we might as well become more like stoke and west ham.

I don't think it's a case of becoming like those teams, but we had ten corners and numerous free-kicks (they made twenty fouls!). Apart from the Cabaye effort at the end, they were gash. You can't afford to pass up that many opportunities to get unchallenged deliveries into good areas.

you know what even if we had decent deliveries today, ba and cisse were both getting in each other's way.  i saw them talking to each after a decent ball in and they were clearing indicating "hey that should be mine"

yeh it would great if we can have good set pieces, but what wasnt our main problem today.  we were lethargic, hence the spaces we left open between our attack and midfield, and midfield and defence.  huge gaping holes that the villa players could had used to punish us had they been a better side.

Totally agree, but when you're playing s**** in open play you need to be able to take advantage of set pieces at least. Think that's what Pardew was referring to; even when we got numerous free chances to create chances we couldn't do so. Could easily have got us two extra points today.

well yeah and i think we all noticed how fucking slow we were in the first half  whenever the ball went out of play, corner, throwings, or when we were awarded freekicks.  i was like wtf this is not an away game, your at home why take so long, had they had a shit prep of a pre-season?, not that many players went to ukraine or the olympics, why so lethargic?

I'd drop Jonas for Bigi. Jonas needs a kick up the arse.

yep im tired of seeing him putting his foot over ball while shielding the opponent from the ball with his body and basically just standing on the spot doing it not moving, Ba was guilty of doing the same thing. 

if you havent got a team mate to pass to, dribble away from your marker and look for a pass,  what they did today was just lazy standing there all macho with their foot over the ball shielding, whilst backing into their marker almost like waiting to get spooned. 

its fair enough if we were winning and needed to waste some time on the corner flag, dont bloody do it when its 0-0 or 0-1 down ffs.

You mean trying to hold the ball up and retain possession until teams mates are available for pass or would you prefer he ran down a dead end and lose the ball in a less macho fashion ?

what i mean is look up look around team mates arent that far away, try turning, spinning away from your marker,  football is pass and move basic stuff unless you're limited.

I think if the option was on he or Ba would do that.  Villa were closing us down quickly.

ba and jonas were doing it for no particular reason, at times they did it when they could see a team mate to pass to,  other times instead of beating their man who was on them they simply stopped dribbling, stood there and did that foot over the ball bullshit, lack of fitness perhaps, the jonas and ba of last season would have kept dribbling.

Jonas does it week in week out

Just back from an extensive piss up at the Star Inn post-game, so apologies if this is less than eloquent.

Ba and Cisse cannot play together up front, in the centre.  They are too similar.  They don't split defences with different runs, they look lost.  This has to change.

Only at NUFC would we fail to sign a RB, and then lose 3 RBs to injury in the space of 100 minutes.  Anita should provide ample cover.

The team look like they've been kicked for six.  It took Ben Arfa's moment of genius to wake them up to day.  Cabaye in particular looked whiny and less than 100%.

Positives:  Ben Arfa.  Without him, we'd be in serious trouble.  Bigirimana.  This guy is gonna be quality.  The composure on this lad's head for 18 years of age is remarkable.  He spread the ball countless times for us, he'll be a great player.  I'll get him on my shirt when I can afford this season's. 

Negatives:  The transfer window has cost us.  It's plain for all to see.  Cisse and Ba were NOT working today, and we had no option to shake it up.  I could say that will cost us points over the course of the season, but I dare say it already has. 

The real question is, why do the team look so disinterested when starting a game?  They couldn't string two passes together.  We need to get this fixed asap.

On a side note: the referee was the worst referee I think I've ever seen in over 50 games at SJP today.  Biased to the extreme.  Ba should have had a penalty, Obertan practically got assaulted down the right, and the ref just blew for fouls to them.  Never seen such flagrant bias, it was a disgrace.  I've maintained for a while that you cannot be that bad at your job and not get fired, and I think with the Premier League we have a real concern that referees can be bribed on occasion.  It's the only way I can explain such horrendous decision making.  Thank goodness we had Ben Arfa to rifle a stunner into the net.

yep im tired of seeing him putting his foot over ball while shielding the opponent from the ball with his body and basically just standing on the spot doing it not moving, Ba was guilty of doing the same thing. 

if you havent got a team mate to pass to, dribble away from your marker and look for a pass,  what they did today was just lazy standing there all macho with their foot over the ball shielding, whilst backing into their marker almost like waiting to get spooned. 

its fair enough if we were winning and needed to waste some time on the corner flag, dont bloody do it when its 0-0 or 0-1 down ffs.

You mean trying to hold the ball up and retain possession until teams mates are available for pass or would you prefer he ran down a dead end and lose the ball in a less macho fashion ?

what i mean is look up look around team mates arent that far away, try turning, spinning away from your marker,  football is pass and move basic stuff unless you're limited.

I think if the option was on he or Ba would do that.  Villa were closing us down quickly.

ba and jonas were doing it for no particular reason, at times they did it when they could see a team mate to pass to,  other times instead of beating their man who was on them they simply stopped dribbling, stood there and did that foot over the ball bullshit, lack of fitness perhaps, the jonas and ba of last season would have kept dribbling.

Retain possession and hold the ball up?

It's his default play, stand on the ball and shield it. It's fine sometimes, it doesn't make sense when there's no-one to shield it from, just buys the other team time.

It's his default play, stand on the ball and shield it. It's fine sometimes, it doesn't make sense when there's no-one to shield it from, just buys the other team time.

Cant say ive ever seen him hold the ball up shielding it from no one.

Ill have to watch for it.  :dontknow:

Guest neesy111

Just back from an extensive piss up at the Star Inn post-game, so apologies if this is less than eloquent.

Ba and Cisse cannot play together up front, in the centre.  They are too similar.  They don't split defences with different runs, they look lost.  This has to change.

Only at NUFC would we fail to sign a RB, and then lose 3 RBs to injury in the space of 100 minutes.  Anita should provide ample cover.

The team look like they've been kicked for six.  It took Ben Arfa's moment of genius to wake them up to day.  Cabaye in particular looked whiny and less than 100%.

Positives:  Ben Arfa.  Without him, we'd be in serious trouble.  Bigirimana.  This guy is gonna be quality.  The composure on this lad's head for 18 years of age is remarkable.  He spread the ball countless times for us, he'll be a great player.  I'll get him on my shirt when I can afford this season's. 

Negatives:  The transfer window has cost us.  It's plain for all to see.  Cisse and Ba were NOT working today, and we had no option to shake it up.  I could say that will cost us points over the course of the season, but I dare say it already has. 

The real question is, why do the team look so disinterested when starting a game?  They couldn't string two passes together.  We need to get this fixed asap.

On a side note: the referee was the worst referee I think I've ever seen in over 50 games at SJP today.  Biased to the extreme.  Ba should have had a penalty, Obertan practically got assaulted down the right, and the ref just blew for fouls to them.  Never seen such flagrant bias, it was a disgrace.  I've maintained for a while that you cannot be that bad at your job and not get fired, and I think with the Premier League we have a real concern that referees can be bribed on occasion.  It's the only way I can explain such horrendous decision making.  Thank goodness we had Ben Arfa to rifle a stunner into the net.

Good post.

it makes sense if were winning by a decent margin, yes retain the ball all you want

it  doest make sense when 0-0 and you should be chasing the game, you're at home and you're playing a team in a game that is actually quite winnable.

It doesn't actually happen - so you'd be waiting a while.

:lol:

Like I say, I cant say Ive ever seen it.

So you've never seen him receive the ball or run onto a ball that's gone astray and decide to shield it in anticipation of being closed down rather than look to pass or move with it? He does it quite regularly.

Far too many smart arses on here nowadays. I'm not slagging him off, I like Jonas but it's a clear feature of his game.

So you've never seen him receive the ball or run onto a ball that's gone astray and decide to shield it in anticipation of being closed down rather than look to pass or move with it? He does it quite regularly.

Far too many smart arses on here nowadays. I'm not slagging him off, I like Jonas but it's a clear feature of his game.

Well im gonner watch out for it, see if it happens.  :lol: