Newcastle United 1 - 1 Aston Villa - 02/09/12 - post-match reaction from page 39

Dave

Guest neesy111

Guzan's save from the Cabaye freekick was rudimentary, made to look better by the fact he dropped his catch

I just thought this, had no pace on it so was quite comfortable.

Guzan's save from the Cabaye freekick was rudimentary, made to look better by the fact he dropped his catch

really? from what i remember earlier it looked like a finger tip save, noway could he catch that in that stretch.

Not only was he not moving particularly quick to get to it, but he also got both hands to it, albeit not comfortably enough to hold it.

Besides a few attempts from Bent, Ireland etc they didn't really cause much trouble. They kept the ball nicely in the team in spells though to be fair to them. The problem is we let them and didn't look bothered. Didn't show up really. They looked much more up for it. Still, pretty awful game with few positives. Bigirimana was fantastic. Excellent throughout imo. Great technique, vision, distribution, tackling, marking, engine. Very pleasing to see. I'd also give mentions to Santon and Anita who looked very good. I'd easily play Anita at RB when Tiote is back. And I'd just as easily replace Jonas with Marveaux or Bigi depending on tactics. And thank f*** for Ben Arfa. Magician.

*Insert customary mention of the 4-4-2/4-3-3 farce*

International break :yao:

Well, I thought we played very well.

Dion is so biased for us, though.

You did play well, but that first goal was from us giving bannan all the space in the world then static defence, still think you're light up top unless Bent wakes up. Your pressing for the ball was very good though, I do rate Lambert and honestly after our first half you would have been good value for nabbing a win off us

These highlights do show that villa had the majority of the better chances.

Absolutely, Pards summed it up very well in his post match on Sky. Said we had most of the play but probably Villa were the team most likely to feel they could've got all 3 points.

Cisse and Ba really need some coaching about how to play together. They both just mince around in front of the back four. Ba ought to drop deeper and cisse needs to run the channels more. I thought Ba was the better of the two today (not a compliment).

I really think its only the inability of the CF's to work together is the biggest hindrance of the 4-4-2. We are left with no purpose to our attacks.

Also the whole 4-4-2 4-3-3 debate thing is becoming a bit of a joke. Today it was the players who let us down they need to take some responsibility. Its interesting how critical a lot of posters are in the Player threads yet don't criticise them anywhere near as much as the system they are playing in.

1 or 2 poor performances you can often attribute to a specific system. 5 or 6 is inexcusable.

Feel Anita, Santon, Bigi, HBA (though often lacking purpose IMO) and Colo were the best of our lot today.

Highlights didn't show how truely awful we were 1st half, it was soul destroying stuff. We let villa play, fuking wrapped it up in a big bow with lots of kisses.

2nd half were better but we looked shaky and a better or more clinical team would have seen us off.p

Ref was a bottle job as well, probably the only thing on par with out shit 1st half.

Was impressed in the first half by them, the workrate was great especially the three players closing down whoever we had on the ball worked pretty much every time. Second half they seemed tired and happy to hold onto the lead.