Loïc Remy

Guest bimpy474
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Haris Vuckic

Reductio ad absurdum tbh - just because we're spending literally FUCK ALL why do people keep bringing up Liverpool to defend it?

Nobody is saying spend £150m but £15m might be nice.

Reductio ad absurdum tbh - just because we're spending literally FUCK ALL why do people keep bringing up Liverpool to defend it?

Nobody is saying spend £150m but £15m might be nice.

Yep.

It is as simple as spending money, really. You need to make the right purchases, obviously, but you need to actually make money available and be prepared to pay the going rate for the players that you so desperately need, not just hunt around the bargain bin in the hope you can find a gem.  I'm entirely grateful for the likes of Sissoko, Cabaye and Mbiwa on the cheap, I really am, but when these deals are all you rely on every window you're never going to realistically build a proper squad, you'll always be left short.

If Liverpool committed such a cardinal financial sin, how come they haven't gone out of business? How come they're still spending and spending? The Premier League clubs are swimming in money, some people haven't quite grasped this. They can afford to spend big money with very little consequence.

Ian, funny how you agreed with TT saying that spending doesn't bring success, yet also claim we can't compete with Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, because they've got more money than we have. It's one or the other, you can't have both.

If we don't trust Graham Carr's choices enough to spend the asking price, why is he employed?

Liverpool bring in a lot more money than us, they can afford to make mistakes to a point. Big mistakes like they've made won't put them out of business but they have pushed them further away from the CL and certainly any title ambitions. Had they spent that money wisely they'd be much better off. We can't not with our owner. Any mistake we make we are saddled with until the end of his contract, see Xisco or Smith, and since we nearly went down, any big mistake could cost us dearly.

We are over cautious and it is frustrating but i was more frustrated at seeing Smith pick up £60kpw for doing nowt or even worse on the pitch being a liability.

End of the day we all want us to sign more players, we all want a better team but spending money doesn't automatically equal better results and mistakes made we are lumbered with while spending over the top means we can't or simply won't spend next time round. You've got to consider this before saying oh aye, just chuck and extra couple of million at Gomis to make it happen...its nonsense even without our tight arse owner.

It is as simple as spending money, really. You need to make the right purchases, obviously, but you need to actually make money available and be prepared to pay the going rate for the players that you so desperately need, not just hunt around the bargain bin in the hope you can find a gem.  I'm entirely grateful for the likes of Sissoko, Cabaye and Mbiwa on the cheap, I really am, but when these deals are all you rely on every window you're never going to realistically build a proper squad, you'll always be left short.

Had we paid full whack for those players we wouldn't be signing anyone for the next 2 windows.  :lol:

Ian, funny how you agreed with TT saying that spending doesn't bring success, yet also claim we can't compete with Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, because they've got more money than we have. It's one or the other, you can't have both.

Think you've simplified what I was saying there.

Money obviously does help to achieve success, but there is a sliding scale. For example, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs can spend a fortune but are still miles off winning the title. If Spurs lose Bale then they might not even make the CL. Same with Liverpool and Suarez. I'm assuming we're talking about the kind of spending you can do without infinite wealth (i.e. an oligarch or a sheikh).

Spending can bring success, it would be stupid to deny that. I'm not making any judgement about whether we "can" compete with Liverpool or Spurs et al, the fact is we have a transfer policy and I think it's fairly sensible.

If you're looking to achieve rapid jumps in league position (from where we are) then the point is that you would have to take some pretty serious risks financially. Otherwise you can go for more gradual improvement through aquiring good players for reasonable money, like we're doing.

We've kind of been through this discussion a hundred times before. The most important thing for me is that we're bringing in good signings... albeit not as often or always as fast as we would like.

Liverpool do bring in more money but not to the proportions they spend more than us, not even close.

They beat us 6-0 on our own patch with Downing and Henderson in the team, the latter scoring twice. Yet certain people on here think they're the mugs and we're the dead clever ones. Absolutely embarrassing.

Liverpool do bring in more money but not to the proportions they spend more than us, not even close.

They beat us 6-0 on our own patch with Downing and Henderson in the team, the latter scoring twice. Yet certain people on here think they're the mugs and we're the dead clever ones. Absolutely embarrassing.

Downing and Henderson playing is kind of irrelevant... does that make them good signings?

FWIW I don't believe what you've ascribed to me there, if you meant me. If Liverpool think they can afford to risk £30m flops then that's fair enough, I'll laugh at the individual signings but they're entitled to whatever strategy they can support.

I do wish we actually had a list of strikers to buy that went beyond Gomis and Bent.  That in itself seems a bit strange.  One would hope that if we are asked to pay 10 million for Gomis and we don't think this is acceptable and we don't think 6 million for Bent is acceptable... there must be some other options?

I do wish we actually had a list of strikers to buy that went beyond Gomis and Bent.  That in itself seems a bit strange.  One would hope that if we are asked to pay 10 million for Gomis and we don't think this is acceptable and we don't think 6 million for Bent is acceptable... there must be some other options?

I agree with this. In practice I don't know how possible it is to pursue multiple players right to the point of singing them, then pull out of all but one. But we should definitely be prepared with a couple of fallback options.

FWIW we did get Gouffran as a fallback from Remy, apparently.

Who is saying we are dead clever? I think most people see the positives in our dealings as well as the pitfalls, right now those pitfalls are unfortunately shining through, in Jan it was very different.

Liverpool are mugs for what they spent and brought in, or are they mugs to let Downing go for £6m now since he played in a match they won 6-0? It's one or the other.

Who is saying we are dead clever? I think most people see the positives in our dealings as well as the pitfalls, right now those pitfalls are unfortunately shining through, in Jan it was very different.

Liverpool are mugs for what they spent and brought in, or are they mugs to let Downing go for £6m now since he played in a match they won 6-0? It's one or the other.

This is basically all anyone has ever claimed. I've never said our approach is the only one, I just see the positives in it. Certainly beats spunking money on the shite players we used to buy.

This is basically all anyone has ever claimed. I've never said our approach is the only one, I just see the positives in it. Certainly beats spunking money on the shite players we used to buy.

Does it beat spending money on good players?

Again, why is Graham Carr still in employment if we don't trust his judgement on even an £8m striker, which by Premier League standards is below average?

Yep. It seems the Remy injury has tipped a few over the edge today, proper panic mode has set in...just pay whatever and buy whatever that's all that matters...spend spend spend. Like a bunch of women in a shoe shop. Oooh sparkly, two sizes too small but i've got to have them, now all i need is to buy everything else to match them.

Had we paid full whack for those players we wouldn't be signing anyone for the next 2 windows.  :lol:

:lol: I think we did really well with those signings like and I hope we continue to make similar purchases going forward. I just think (actually I know) we need to splash out and actually build a proper squad first capable of competing at a high level, not just in the league but in Europe and the cups too. We add our bargains afterwards.

I think we need to spend about £40m personally. We need a top quality winger and central midfielder as well as another striker as back-up for Cisse and Remy, the defence needs experience back up too, especially at centre back and right back, and obviously another keeper. We'll probably get those things paying £2-£7m here and there over the next 2-3 seasons by which point we'll be needing to plug up more holes :lol:

Again, why is Graham Carr still in employment if we don't trust his judgement on even an £8m striker, which by Premier League standards is below average?

Which striker is that? Gomis?

I think that one got a bit more complicated than the asking price.

Course not, as I said if it was simple to always sign the right players and move up the league there would be no risk at all.

I think we were prepared to pay £8m for Gomis, weren't we? The wrangling seems to be over shadowy agents fees etc.

In January, Ashley looked like he might be losing a lot of money, now it doesn't. I don't think that is coincidence.

:lol: I think we did really well with those signings like and I hope we continue to make similar purchases going forward. I just think (actually I know) we need to splash out and actually build a proper squad first capable of competing at a high level, not just in the league but in Europe and the cups too.

I think we need to spend about £40m personally. We need a top quality winger and central midfielder as well as another striker as back-up for Cisse and Remy, the defence needs experience back up too, especially at centre back and right back, and obviously another keeper. We'll probably get those things paying £2-£7m here and there over the next 2-3 seasons by which point we'll be needing to plug up more holes :lol:

That's dream stuff mate. Until someone else buys the club its not going to happen. And yeah, it might happen over about 6 windows, its the way the club does its deals.

You've just got to hope right now enough has been done behind the scenes and it really is about waiting for the selling clubs to fall in to line. If that happens and we get Gomis, a winger or take advantage on the Ajax CB for £5m then we get closer to that squad everyone wants. The club will still be criticized for leaving it so late, and i buy in to that as well, however just buying anyone or paying over the odds is something i've not bought in to for a long time, that died with Shepherd and those with short memories will do well to remember the hidden debts and the direction the club was going under the free spending idiot.

Yep. It seems the Remy injury has tipped a few over the edge today, proper panic mode has set in...just pay whatever and buy whatever that's all that matters...spend spend spend. Like a bunch of women in a shoe shop. Oooh sparkly, two sizes too small but i've got to have them, now all i need is to buy everything else to match them.

I have it on good authority that some shoes > no shoes.

I have it on good authority that some shoes > no shoes.

Zola Budd disagrees with this.

What the fuck are you on about man? We nearly got relegated and yet haven't bought a single player.

How does it matter to you in the slightest whether a player costs £7m or £10m? Either is peanuts to a Premier League club in 2013.

:lol: I think we did really well with those signings like and I hope we continue to make similar purchases going forward. I just think (actually I know) we need to splash out and actually build a proper squad first capable of competing at a high level, not just in the league but in Europe and the cups too.

That's dream stuff mate.

That's the point though init? It shouldn't be dream stuff, it should be the bare minimum at the minute as it's what we desperately need to perform in the competitions we're in/should be hoping to be in.