January Transfer Window Latest

JH

Roeder returns empty-handedDec 4 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Glenn Roeder had a fruitless trip when the Newcastle manager travelled to Holland yesterday to run the rule over a potential transfer target.

Reports that Roeder took in the AZ Alkmaar game with Excelsior to watch home left-back Tim de Cler were not correct.

But The Chronicle understands that Roeder feels that the player he did watch is no better than what he already has on his St James' Park playing staff.

As revealed in The Chronicle on Saturday, Roeder paid to watch the game in Holland after taking in Saturday's North London derby between Arsenal and Spurs.

It was also a weekend when United were again wrongly linked with a host of players, including Chelsea superstar Andrei Shevchenko.

This prompted Roeder to say today: "Shevchenko is a wonderful player and a player any club would love to have. But I have not contacted Chelsea about him and I won't be contacting them.

"I am afraid some of the transfer talk over the weekend is pure fantasy."

United were also linked with Preston's David Nugent and Vincenzo Montella of Roma, but neither will be on Roeder's shopping list.

One player Roeder has always admitted he admires is Charlton striker Darren Bent, but the United boss does not see any way he can attract him to St James' Park.

He added: "I have been a fan of Darren Bent from the time I first saw him play for Ipswich, and in the summer we asked Charlton about him and were quoted £15m.

"We have not been back to The Valley for several

reasons one of them being that Charlton would not sell Bent to us because it would send a terrible message out to their supporters.

"Certainly reports saying that we are offering James Milner and Stephen Carr in part-exchange for Bent are not correct, because both these players are very much in my plans.

"And as far as our supporters are concerned, it is important that while they must know we are busy and still monitoring several situations no decision has been made on any player we will be trying to bring to St James' Park."

Meanwhile, despite all the talk coming out of the Albert Luque camp, United say that they have not had any approaches for their Spanish international.

Roeder returns empty-handedDec 4 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Glenn Roeder had a fruitless trip when the Newcastle manager travelled to Holland yesterday to run the rule over a potential transfer target.

Reports that Roeder took in the AZ Alkmaar game with Excelsior to watch home left-back Tim de Cler were not correct.

But The Chronicle understands that Roeder feels that the player he did watch is no better than what he already has on his St James' Park playing staff.

As revealed in The Chronicle on Saturday, Roeder paid to watch the game in Holland after taking in Saturday's North London derby between Arsenal and Spurs.

It was also a weekend when United were again wrongly linked with a host of players, including Chelsea superstar Andrei Shevchenko.

This prompted Roeder to say today: "Shevchenko is a wonderful player and a player any club would love to have. But I have not contacted Chelsea about him and I won't be contacting them.

"I am afraid some of the transfer talk over the weekend is pure fantasy."

United were also linked with Preston's David Nugent and Vincenzo Montella of Roma, but neither will be on Roeder's shopping list.

One player Roeder has always admitted he admires is Charlton striker Darren Bent, but the United boss does not see any way he can attract him to St James' Park.

He added: "I have been a fan of Darren Bent from the time I first saw him play for Ipswich, and in the summer we asked Charlton about him and were quoted £15m.

"We have not been back to The Valley for several

reasons one of them being that Charlton would not sell Bent to us because it would send a terrible message out to their supporters.

"Certainly reports saying that we are offering James Milner and Stephen Carr in part-exchange for Bent are not correct, because both these players are very much in my plans.

"And as far as our supporters are concerned, it is important that while they must know we are busy and still monitoring several situations no decision has been made on any player we will be trying to bring to St James' Park."

Meanwhile, despite all the talk coming out of the Albert Luque camp, United say that they have not had any approaches for their Spanish international.

FUCK!

Werder Bremen ready to consider offers for Klose

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=394607&cc=5901

BERLIN, Dec 4 (Reuters) - Werder Bremen will consider letting striker Miroslav Klose leave at the end of the season, according to club sporting director Klaus Allofs.

The 28-year-old Klose, top scorer at the World Cup in Germany this year, has a contract until 2008 but he has expressed an interest in moving abroad.

Werder have not given up on getting him to sign a new contract but they appear ready to do a deal next year rather than see him leaving on a free transfer 12 months later.

'If he expresses a wish (to go) we will deal with any enquiries,' Allofs said in Monday's edition of Kicker.

'But we'll do everything to convince him to stay. A change would only be possible if the financial details were right and we had a replacement ready.'

Werder regained top spot in the Bundesliga on Saturday when Klose struck twice in a 3-1 victory over Hertha Berlin, taking his tally for the season to 10 league goals.

Werder's next game is away to Barcelona on Tuesday, when a point will be enough to send them through to the last 16 of the Champions League while knocking the holders out.

Price tag might be a little too high.  I think I'd rather have Klose than Bent, tbh. 

Werder Bremen ready to consider offers for Klose

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=394607&cc=5901

BERLIN, Dec 4 (Reuters) - Werder Bremen will consider letting striker Miroslav Klose leave at the end of the season, according to club sporting director Klaus Allofs.

The 28-year-old Klose, top scorer at the World Cup in Germany this year, has a contract until 2008 but he has expressed an interest in moving abroad.

Werder have not given up on getting him to sign a new contract but they appear ready to do a deal next year rather than see him leaving on a free transfer 12 months later.

'If he expresses a wish (to go) we will deal with any enquiries,' Allofs said in Monday's edition of Kicker.

'But we'll do everything to convince him to stay. A change would only be possible if the financial details were right and we had a replacement ready.'

Werder regained top spot in the Bundesliga on Saturday when Klose struck twice in a 3-1 victory over Hertha Berlin, taking his tally for the season to 10 league goals.

Werder's next game is away to Barcelona on Tuesday, when a point will be enough to send them through to the last 16 of the Champions League while knocking the holders out.

Price tag might be a little too high.  I think I'd rather have Klose than Bent, tbh. 

Same here!

Guest shaun11177

Roeder sees a player play once and decides he isnt any better than what we have?

How can you judge a player on one game?

Bent is way too Similar to Martins!

We need defenders first and foremost, a LB,RB and CB. Then a Big man CF.

We'll probably sign Cole or SWP on loan though!

Matty Taylor from Pompey (ideally), Dystin and/or Upson would do me. Although very doubtfull I'd love it if we could get Baptista on loan too .

Matty Taylor from Pompey (ideally), Dystin and/or Upson would do me. Although very doubtfull I'd love it if we could get Baptista on loan too .

you are living in a crazy dream world.

Guest TheOrder

They're both black and quick.

They aren't that similar footballers.

That is soooo racist. On too many levels. Scum.

They're both black and quick.

They aren't that similar footballers.

That is soooo racist. On too many levels. Scum.

:roll: :lol:

That's what it is though. People are insanely ignorant. If Bent was white and an inch taller - they wouldn't say that they were similar. Footballing-wise, of course.

Aye, i was taking the piss :lol: :thup:

No - I know you were... I was just saying. People regard Bent and Martins as similar because they're totally ignorant.

I would love it if we got Bent, he'd make an excellent partner for Martins. Martins is more of a playmaker - he isn't a goalscorer. We've seen Martins' best play for us outside the box - working with the ball and creating spaces. He set-up the goal against Pompey. And in his brief appearance in Germany - he was tackling back in the centre-circle and he, the 'centre-forward', put in a fantastic cross. Plus he can hold up the ball well using his head.

He isn't a natural goalscorer in the slightest; he doesn't really know where to go when he's in the box.

Bent is a natural goalscorer. Give him the ball and he'll score.

Martins isn't like that. Obafemi Martins isn't going to be a prolific goalscorer for us, not ever i'd imagine. I'd be willing to bet anything that he'll never score 20 or more goals in one season while he is here - he just isn't that sort of player, no matter how good his finishing is. He needs a partner who will score goals on his own, and using Martins. Michael Owen would be perfect for that. Darren Bent would be great.

We need goals.

Why do i get the impression it'll be Siba-esque buys we make this January. Not that I'm knocking Sibierksi's efforts, but i think that'll be the level of player we get. Simple fact is, Premiership teams aren't going to let go quality players midway through the season.

I'm bracing myself for Claus Lundekvam and Mark Viduka.

Darren Bent would be great.

In my eyes, hed definately be the lowest risk goalscorer we could get our hands on. And for me, he ticks all the boxes we need:

- pace

- natural athleticism

- rarely injured

- decent/consistent finisher

- ability to play on own

- Premiership proven

Would love for us to get him purely because were not then reliant on Owen for goals like we are right now. It also gives us an upper hand when it comes to Owen's position at the club - we can either use him alongside Bent, rotate him, or sell him when he gets fit, and make back much of the money it would have taken to sign Bent - let his injury proneness be a problem for another club.

Hate to harp on about this, but it still applies - I still think Anelka is the one realistic signing that would solve all our striking problems, and he ticks all those boxes like Bent does, and then some. He can play as the main forward or as a support striker, hes got better movement, and without a doubt he has alot more ability than Bent. I know Bolton signed him for 8mill, and therefore a sale is pretty unlikely, but hed still cost less than Bent, who imo will fetch upwards of 12mill - which would surely have Bolton selling. Question is, would it be better to spend 12mill on a younger and less problematic but inferior forward, or 12mill on a significantly better forward? Considering the gap in ability/class, I would go for the latter, despite his "baggage". Would be delighted with either though.

Why do i get the impression it'll be Siba-esque buys we make this January. Not that I'm knocking Sibierksi's efforts, but i think that'll be the level of player we get. Simple fact is, Premiership teams aren't going to let go quality players midway through the season.

I'm bracing myself for Claus Lundekvam and Mark Viduka.

:yawn:

Same old boring and obvious shite.

In my eyes, hed definately be the lowest risk goalscorer we could get our hands on. And for me, he ticks all the boxes we need:

- pace

- natural athleticism

- rarely injured

- ability to play on own

- Premiership proven

Would love for us to get him purely because were not then reliant on Owen for goals like we are right now. It also gives us an upper hand when it comes to Owen's position at the club - we can either use him alongside Bent, rotate him, or sell him when he gets fit, and make back much of the money it would have taken to sign Bent - let his injury proneness be a problem for another club.

Hate to harp on about this, but it still applies - I still think Anelka is the one realistic signing that would solve all our striking problems, and he ticks all those boxes (1) like Bent does, and then some. He can play as the main forward or as a support striker, hes got better movement (2) , and without a doubt he has alot more ability than Bent. I know Bolton signed him for 8mill, and therefore a sale is pretty unlikely, but hed still cost less than Bent (3), who imo will fetch upwards of 12mill - which would surely have Bolton selling. Question is, would it be better to spend 12mill on Bent (4) , or 12mill on a lazy, problematic, moody, inconsistent, non-goalscoring forward? (5) Considering the gap in ability/class, I would go for the latter, despite his "baggage". Would be delighted with either though.

1. Does he really? Less than 100 career goals in around 350 career appearances, and although he's Premiership proven, he's never scored 20 goals in one season - which is what we are crying out for. And the natural athleticism, yes i agree, but it's seen periodically.

2. Martins has better movement than Anelka anyway. We don't need another striker/creator - we need a goalscorer.

3. 5 months after Bolton paid £8.5m? Really? And his wages would be enormous. And he wouldn't come here anyway.

4. Yes. Because we know what we are getting. A player who is already capable of scoring 20+ goals in the Premier League, and also with a big future infront of him. And would also work very well with Martins. Anelka probably wouldn't work well with Oba.

5. No.

;-)

*Official Anelka Hater*

- pace

- natural athleticism

- rarely injured

- ability to play on own

- Premiership proven

Hate to harp on about this, but it still applies - I still think Anelka is the one realistic signing that would solve all our striking problems, and he ticks all those boxes (1) like Bent does, and then some. He can play as the main forward or as a support striker, hes got better movement (2) , and without a doubt he has alot more ability than Bent. I know Bolton signed him for 8mill, and therefore a sale is pretty unlikely, but hed still cost less than Bent (3), who imo will fetch upwards of 12mill - which would surely have Bolton selling. Question is, would it be better to spend 12mill on Bent (4) , or 12mill on a lazy, problematic, moody, inconsistent, non-goalscoring forward? (5) Considering the gap in ability/class, I would go for the latter, despite his "baggage". Would be delighted with either though.

1. Does he really? Less than 100 career goals in around 350 career appearances, and although he's Premiership proven, he's never scored 20 goals in one season - which is what we are crying out for. And the natural athleticism, yes i agree, but it's seen periodically.

2. Martins has better movement than Anelka anyway. We don't need another striker/creator - we need a goalscorer.

3. 5 months after Bolton paid £8.5m? Really? And his wages would be enormous. And he wouldn't come here anyway.

4. Yes. Because we know what we are getting. A player who is already capable of scoring 20+ goals in the Premier League, and also with a big future infront of him. And would also work very well with Martins. Anelka probably wouldn't work well with Oba.

5. No.

;-)

*Official Anelka Hater*

If by better movement you mean by standing there then I agree with you.