Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa joins AS Roma then Lyon

KaKa

Titus would dominate for 89 minutes then lose it. This guy - who, granted, has a laundry amount of mitigation - doesn't even fit that description.

Wow.. I actually miss Titus. He had a lot wrong with his game obviously and SBR's team was very much an "on their day" team - but on his day he had it all. Relatively quick, strong, good in the air, firm in the tackle and fairly comfortable on the ball with either foot.

The perfect word for a good Titus Bramble performance is "dominating". Think Bobby called him a Colossus at one time.

All of our current defenders have massive weaknesses even on their best day.

Put a black mark on a very good 45 minutes by switching off at literally the very last second. It's a forgivable error in the wider scheme of things, but it's the sort of incident that will give Pardew the opportunity to reintroduce Stevie Fistpumps.

I was thinking the same thing, he actually did very well until the last kick of the game. I'd be asking more questions why he switched off if it we weren't desperately trying to flog him and make it clear he's not wanted.

I think the fact he's played pretty much every game this pre-season and he is probably still jet-lagged had more to do with his mental lapses than anything else.

Aye, he was great until he spotted a butterfly or something and the opposition ran past him and scored.

Of course. But those great times (and me being young full of optimism) can give you hope - especially when he was a bairn. Now we have 4 lads - 2 can't run, 2 can't win aerial duels, 3 can't head properly and another can't defend. It's a mess.

When you watch Saylor specifically - you realise he's not actually good at anything except heading, and i'm not even sure he's good at that. You never see him make great tackles, rarely see him poach the ball via anticipation or reading the game like Colo - guess Saylor gets his body in the way when he can. He doesn't know what he's doing. I guess he's a decent athlete when fit and kinda good in the air. Otherwise he's crap.

Guest firetotheworks

Sad thing about Titus is that every error seemed to lead directly to a goal. Guy was cursed man.

Nonsense, the errors he made were fatal because he made them in positions where it was easy for the opposition to score.

Sad thing about Titus is that every error seemed to lead directly to a goal. Guy was cursed man.

Nonsense, the errors he made were fatal because he made them in positions where it was easy for the opposition to score.

I mean, he was a CB, that's generally going to be the case.

You know how a CB can make a mistake, and still get bailed out by another defender, or the keeper, or the striker then goes on to miss the chance? It seemed like Titus didn't have as much luck is what I meant. He seemed to me to have a disproportionate amount of his errors lead to goals. It seemed a rather unfortunate knack.

Guest firetotheworks

I mean, he was a CB, that's generally going to be the case.

Not necessarily. There's losing markers, or playing someone onside, playing loose passes or any number of errors that can be atoned. Generally his mistakes were made when it was pretty obvious that if he made a mistake in the position he was in, it would be catastrophic. It got to the point where it felt like you could predict it happening. I remember against Villa one year when he had been imperious and then for absolutely no reason whatsoever he gave away a penalty. He was naturally talented, but he was thick as fuck.

Guest firetotheworks

You know how a CB can make a mistake, and still get bailed out by another defender, or the keeper, or the striker then goes on to miss the chance? It seemed like Titus didn't have as much luck is what I meant. He seemed to me to have a disproportionate amount of his errors lead to goals. It seemed a rather unfortunate knack.

He made those mistakes as well. :lol: The point is that he made mistakes where it wasn't like it 'lead' to a goal, he would make mistakes that resulted in things like one on ones or penalties where it was pretty obvious that the opposition would score.

I remember one glaring pass back, which was way short and the striker just strolled on to it and scored.

I remember seeing his body shape as he was about to make the pass, and I started screaming "NO TITUS, NO!!!"

As he passed it he actually ended up flat on his back, such was his poor body shape when he went to pass.

Man ... so frustrating. Always looked so sad after each error too. Used to feel for him a bit

He made those mistakes as well. :lol: The point is that he made mistakes where it wasn't like it 'lead' to a goal, he would make mistakes that resulted in things like one on ones or penalties where it was pretty obvious that the opposition would score.

:lol: It was just a total mess.

Guest firetotheworks

Him and Boumsong man. It's only really in hindsight when you think about how bad those two were together. Colo has been the best defender we've had in years like, one of the best I've seen for us. It's just a shame that he's an empty shirt as far as being captain is concerned.

Guest firetotheworks

Pretty shit player if he wasn't scoring, but I rated him as a leader of that 'group of lads' we had.