Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa joins AS Roma then Lyon

KaKa

Don't think you have to be either a defender or a footballer though. Yes we need a proper stopper, but Mbemba is absolutely fine physically and has adapted to the league really well.

Agreed it's not an either thing. But for me, a lot of the best parts of both players games aren't in direct defensive actions. John Terry's a good footballer. Good range of passing, two footed(?) but his best attributes in his prime - organisation & communication, reading the game by anticipating danger, strong, few mistakes & aerial ability etc.

The best thing about Chancel/Mapou are on the ball imo. Chancel looks good at intercepting the ball.

Chancel's better.

Agree, although I think they're different. Mapou is capable of some great stuff with interceptions and on the ball. Not that he showed it here obvs.

I think they're more similar than different. Mapou perhaps quicker, Chancel stronger but both seem to be footballers first and defenders second. Both pretty weak in the air for CB's. Neither physically imposing.

Don't think Mbemba struggles with the physicality of the league. His decision making isn't always great but it's considerably better than his predecessors.

He struggles in the air imo. He struggled physically with Igahlo and Deeney but otherwise I haven't seen him beasted physically

IMO Mbemba is stronger, faster (but not by much), better at slide tackling, has an underrated range of passing (he generally passes to the man further up the pitch versus the safe guy next to him). Much better in the air. However I always felt MYM had no ceiling if the belief in him was there, he seemed a better reader and intercepter of the ball.

I'd put it this way - MYM and Mbemba is far better a partnership, and it's not saying much, than Colo and Mbemba. I'd much rather have MYM & Mbemba for pace, youth, etc.

To say Mbemba is not good in the air is stupid - he's been beat by better positioned and experienced CFs in the air or lack of communication around him (maybe language barrier?) where a man has drifted behind him.

• 5 weeks later...

He's obviously struggling but he was quality before he came to Newcastle. Quite weird to take pleasure in the failure of a guy we wasted and forced out even though he was better than anyone else on our books.

TCD is a weird individual.

I was a cheerleader for him even before we signed him, face facts he wasn't good enough at this level. Not just this style as he didn't cut it in Italy and now isn't cutting up rugs in Lyon. Sometimes players fulfill their potential very early then spend years going backwards on their names.