Manchester City 4 - 0 Newcastle United - 30/03/13 - post-match reaction from p34

Dave

That's terrible for a manager who sets us up not to concede. Embarrassing tbh.

When you have a midfielder at left back and your third (fourth?) choice right back playing it's not unexpected. Not welcome obviously, but not unexpected.

:lol: That's been the case for 31 games?  Because we're, erm, looking at figures across 31 games.  Jesus.

I wasn't aware the original post was referring to an earlier one containing stats from this season. Please accept my apologies.

And while I am flattered I can categorically state I am not your lord and savior.

:lol: It's OK, we'll get through this.

I'm not sure if I can work you out btw, you seem to be defending/vouching for Pardew, yet some of your posts seem serious and some tongue-in-cheek.

What's your view in a nutshell, you'd stick with him next year presumably?

Yep. I think all things considered he's a decent manager. He has his faults, and we've found ourselves in pretty unfortunate positions this season which have really emphasised them, but I don't see what we'd achieve by chucking him. Chopping and changing managers has never ever worked out well for us. Taking into consideration what he achieved last season I think he deserves to see this year out and (providing we stay up *touches wood*) deserves to be backed in the transfer market in the summer. In hindsight I think it's apparent he got dealt a very shoddy hand in preseason and we really should've spent after such a remarkable achievement. Thankfully the board seem to recognise this.

I know from speaking to one or two of our players they were disappointed we didn't strengthen more in the summer which, coupled with our rather naff preseason, lead to a malaise which has just pervaded the entire 2012/13 season. On top of that we've had loads injuries and really, really badly timed suspensions which have did a number on us. Whatever you think of Pardew that type of stuff is just plain unfortunate and you can't really blame him for that.

Now there are some criticisms I do understand. He's a naturally defensive manager and I know people get annoyed about that because they want to see us play more attacking football. They're entitled to do so - I pay my £500 for a season ticket and have some fairly strong views, why shouldn't other people be able to air theirs? I don't mind defensive managers particularly when being so well drilled defensively was what got us into fifth last season. Some may say we lucked into fifth, but I watched every single minute of every single game last season and we deserved to finish there (I'd argue we were unlucky to finish higher and far from individual bits of brilliance it was individual errors that cost us in 11/12 - see Simpson at Arsenal away). The defensive side of the game is an area we've struggled in this season and as a result we've resorted to that awful sort of long ball football you usually associate with Stoke or an Allardyce team. No one wants to see that and I'm sure Pardew doesn't either, particularly when we're not any fucking good at it :lol:

I think we really need another six to twelve months before judging the man. If we're in the same position this time next season then get rid, but lets give him the chance to construct a team first. He wasn't backed when he should've been last summer so naturally we've regressed. He's made mistakes but he also managed to inspire a side that didn't look anything like a top six team into challengers for a CL place. Anyway, if we did sack him now I just don't see where we could go? We're always going to be looking at the untried or unfancied managers because of the management structure and wages on offer.

We can't afford to keep him for another 6 games let alone another 12 months. Why does he need more time? He's going to have been here for 2 and a half season come the end of the season. What manager needs 4 years to implement his style of football? I'm sorry, but I would love for him to prove me wrong, but unfortunately I'm a firm believer that he sees football in a cowardly way.

It would be nice if we could be patient, but can we really afford to? I know most of our players are on long contracts but if we're as shit next season as this season I'm sure some will be itching for a move, particularly the international players. In an ideal world we could say "no you're under contract" but unfortunately that's not how it seems to work these days.

We can't afford to keep him for another 6 games let alone another 12 months. Why does he need more time? He's going to have been here for 2 and a half season come the end of the season. What manager needs 4 years to implement his style of football? I'm sorry, but I would love for him to prove me wrong, but unfortunately I'm a firm believer that he sees football in a cowardly way.

Yeah, but you've got numbers after your name. What do you know?

Yeah, but you've got numbers after your name. What do you know?

:lol:

Touché

It would be nice if we could be patient, but can we really afford to? I know most of our players are on long contracts but if we're as shit next season as this season I'm sure some will be itching for a move, particularly the international players. In an ideal world we could say "no you're under contract" but unfortunately that's not how it seems to work these days.

I think it speaks volumes that despite our position Pardew hasn't lost the dressing room.

I think it speaks volumes that despite our position Pardew hasn't lost the dressing room.

They don't look like they're playing for him to me.

Agreed, but it has only been one season. Start next season in the same way and it could be a different story.

It would be nice if we could be patient, but can we really afford to? I know most of our players are on long contracts but if we're as s*** next season as this season I'm sure some will be itching for a move, particularly the international players. In an ideal world we could say "no you're under contract" but unfortunately that's not how it seems to work these days.

?

I don't understand this reasoning, I think it speaks volumes that Pardew can't get the team to win games with a good dressing room :p

When you have a midfielder at left back and your third (fourth?) choice right back playing it's not unexpected. Not welcome obviously, but not unexpected.

:lol: That's been the case for 31 games?  Because we're, erm, looking at figures across 31 games.  Jesus.

I wasn't aware the original post was referring to an earlier one containing stats from this season. Please accept my apologies.

And while I am flattered I can categorically state I am not your lord and savior.

I'm not sure if I can work you out btw, you seem to be defending/vouching for Pardew, yet some of your posts seem serious and some tongue-in-cheek.

Yep. I think all things considered he's a decent manager. He has his faults, and we've found ourselves in pretty unfortunate positions this season which have really emphasised them, but I don't see what we'd achieve by chucking him. Chopping and changing managers has never ever worked out well for us. Taking into consideration what he achieved last season I think he deserves to see this year out and (providing we stay up *touches wood*) deserves to be backed in the transfer market in the summer. In hindsight I think it's apparent he got dealt a very shoddy hand in preseason and we really should've spent after such a remarkable achievement. Thankfully the board seem to recognise this.

I know from speaking to one or two of our players they were disappointed we didn't strengthen more in the summer which, coupled with our rather naff preseason, lead to a malaise which has just pervaded the entire 2012/13 season. On top of that we've had loads injuries and really, really badly timed suspensions which have did a number on us. Whatever you think of Pardew that type of stuff is just plain unfortunate and you can't really blame him for that.

Now there are some criticisms I do understand. He's a naturally defensive manager and I know people get annoyed about that because they want to see us play more attacking football. They're entitled to do so - I pay my £500 for a season ticket and have some fairly strong views, why shouldn't other people be able to air theirs? I don't mind defensive managers particularly when being so well drilled defensively was what got us into fifth last season. Some may say we lucked into fifth, but I watched every single minute of every single game last season and we deserved to finish there (I'd argue we were unlucky to finish higher and far from individual bits of brilliance it was individual errors that cost us in 11/12 - see Simpson at Arsenal away). The defensive side of the game is an area we've struggled in this season and as a result we've resorted to that awful sort of long ball football you usually associate with Stoke or an Allardyce team. No one wants to see that and I'm sure Pardew doesn't either, particularly when we're not any fucking good at it :lol:

I think we really need another six to twelve months before judging the man. If we're in the same position this time next season then get rid, but lets give him the chance to construct a team first. He wasn't backed when he should've been last summer so naturally we've regressed. He's made mistakes but he also managed to inspire a side that didn't look anything like a top six team into challengers for a CL place. Anyway, if we did sack him now I just don't see where we could go? We're always going to be looking at the untried or unfancied managers because of the management structure and wages on offer.

:thup: pretty much sums up me, fwiw.

Really good post, sums up my opinion pretty well. The only time I've ever swayed into the 'sack him' camp was immediately after Reading (h), because it was utterly deplorable - I can't remember a worse result in my time supporting us. However, when we're still in the PL next season - I'll look to that result as the turning point because it galvanised the board into providing the manager with what he should have had a few months prior.

I think he's made some absolutely batshit decisions over the course of the season and don't think he has performed well on the whole, but... well - see above.

I can't see how sacking him would be anything other than counter-productive. To summarise it in the most primitive manner: his performance at the club has been 50% good, 50% bad imo. Give him funds in the summer to cement exactly what he wants with regards to squad personnel, then judge him by Christmas. If he's going to be sacked before the end of next season; Christmas should be the point of no return.

Guest fraser

Probably better in the Pardew thread but posted here as this is where the conversation is.

Just prior to the New Year we had 20 points from 20 games played. We have bought or acquired several new signings in January, all of whom we think are decent to good, and now have 33 points from 31 games. Hmmm.

Ceteris paribus in terms of injuries, suspensions and opponents that isn't a particularly significant improvement. We've played less Europa League games too pro rata (will stand to be corrected on this).

Really good post, sums up my opinion pretty well. The only time I've ever swayed into the 'sack him' camp was immediately after Reading (h), because it was utterly deplorable - I can't remember a worse result in my time supporting us. However, when we're still in the PL next season - I'll look to that result as the turning point because it galvanised the board into providing the manager with what he should have had a few months prior.

I think he's made some absolutely batshit decisions over the course of the season and don't think he has performed well on the whole, but... well - see above.

I can't see how sacking him would be anything other than counter-productive. To summarise it in the most primitive manner: his performance at the club has been 50% good, 50% bad imo. Give him funds in the summer to cement exactly what he wants with regards to squad personnel, then judge him by Christmas. If he's going to be sacked before the end of next season; Christmas should be the point of no return.

Likewise. I'm sure someone can drudge up my posts on here where I said as much.

People saying he's been a bit of a mixed bag must only be fussed about results and nowt else then I presume?

FWIW me, the man with number in his name agrees with you. I've seriously not been more bored of a footballing side than Newcastle United Football Club at the moment. I just hope Pardew can steer us clear of relegation...Feels a bit like it us, Norwich, Sunderland and Villa whow ill be seriously fighting for that spot. If Sunderland gets a revival from a new manager we might be going into the last day of the season with a chance to go down...

People saying he's been a bit of a mixed bag must only be fussed about results and nowt else then I presume?

Results are the ultimate determiner though, as Icke said.

Right, but he isn't getting any results this season. 31 games, 33points..

Results are the ultimate determiner though, as Icke said.

Right, but he isn't getting any results this season. 31 games, 33points..

Aye, last season being 65 from 38, hence the 'mixed bag' summary. (:anguish:)