Why no playoffs?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yet another reason why the 'Other Sports' board should become a reality. This thread is now nothing about football.

:lol: It's 100 percent about football, man. We're just comparing notes as people of different cultures. We're arguing about this shit because we love your sport.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Not convinced. You guys are precious about your playoffs as it's your 'thing', but you can't cover up that you get teams who dominate final appearances still. It wouldn't change anything. As for teams making appearances who were 'weaker' - why do they get to make appearances?

Change city.

Chance to draft best prospect

Salary caps

Shorter contracts

Bidding Wars

Yet another reason why the 'Other Sports' board should become a reality. This thread is now nothing about football.

:lol: It's 100 percent about football, man. We're just comparing notes as people of different cultures. We're arguing about this shit because we love your sport.

No your not.

You're arguing because you think tried and trusted formats that are different from US sports are inferior because they're not the same.

:lol: You think we'd have all these disgraceful Orioles avatars if these delusional fucks didn't think they had a shot? :shifty:

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs71/200H/f/2013/008/b/5/yao_ming_true_story_plz_by_mingtruestoryplz-d5qtvjo.jpg

No your not.

You're arguing because you think tried and trusted formats that are different from US sports are inferior because they're not the same.

"Tried and trusted" :memelol:

"Tradition" I'll grant you. "Trusted" ffs. :lol:

Also, the wildly hilarious irony of that statement.

Change city.

Salary caps

Shorter contracts

Bidding Wars

Nearly none of these apply to baseball, and you still see new teams making that postseason. Smaller teams don't win bidding wars, it takes years for draft picks to make it, if they ever do, and they rarely make it for the team that drafted them. Contract length has exploded. Cano is going to sign a 10 year deal, ffs.

:lol: It's 100 percent about football, man. We're just comparing notes as people of different cultures. We're arguing about this s*** because we love your sport.

:lol: It had a very faint slant towards football in the opening pst. Everything else has been about why play offs are good in American sports. It's more a discussion for the NBA thread. "Why doesn't football have play offs like this?" Then the 15 or so people can discuss what the rest of us know nothing about while the rest of us are safe in our obliviousness.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

You can never discuss anything with the American posters, if its in regards to their culture as they get all aggressive when you don't agree with it. It's a pointless discussion to have. It'd change nothing in 'SOCCER', as you'd still get the same top 4 'seeds' every year, and more than likely the same top 8. So it's not increasing the liklihood of anyone 'new' winning the league.

If anything it would devalue the league, as it'd create a breakaway group of teams that constantly get to these 'playoffs' and play each other in lucrative money making games for the WORLD TITLE OF SOCCER, and in the end Man U, Chelsea, Man City still win the league. You might get the odd year where a 'Blackburn' happens if a lot of investment happens at a random club.

Change city.

Salary caps

Shorter contracts

Bidding Wars

Nearly none of these apply to baseball, and you still see new teams making that postseason. Smaller teams don't win bidding wars, it takes years for draft picks to make it, if they ever do, and they rarely make it for the team that drafted them. Contract length has exploded. Cano is going to sign a 10 year deal, ffs.

You still get the same teams in the playoffs though, and maybe get a random team hitting the lower seed. That's basically the random team who finishes 8th in the Premier League. It's pointless, Mike.

:lol: It's 100 percent about football, man. We're just comparing notes as people of different cultures. We're arguing about this s*** because we love your sport.

:lol: It had a very faint slant towards football in the opening pst. Everything else has been about why play offs are good in American sports. It's more a discussion for the NBA thread. "Why doesn't football have play offs like this?" Then the 15 or so people can discuss what the rest of us know nothing about while the rest of us are safe in our obliviousness.

It was really just correction of a complete misrepresentation.

15/16 pages...damn it Mike.

I hereby ban you from all Chinese takeaways here.

:lol: But where am I going to get my presumptuous shrimp eggrolls, Sifu?

I'll send you some myself. Sealed and approved.

:lol: It had a very faint slint towards football in the opening pst. Everything else has been about why play offs are good in American sports. It's more a discussion for the NBA thread. "Why doesn't football have play offs like this?" Then the 15 or so people can discuss what the rest of us know nothing about while the rest of us are safe in our obliviousness.

We have threads dedicated to Ravel Morrison and Erik Pieters ffs, I think the board can tolerate this thread, which is way more relevant and stimulating. :lol:

All I've been trying to say is there are examples abroad of how the best team can be determined. If my examples are too American, I apologize for being American. MKSC said that they changed to a postseason system in Rugby. Isn't that league somewhat similar to yours? With the table and all of that? I can't use that as an example because I don't know anything about it.

You can never discuss anything with the American posters, if its in regards to their culture as they get all aggressive when you don't agree with it.

:lol: The irony, coming from the guy who continually rails against the growing "impurity" of the English game.

:lol: It had a very faint slint towards football in the opening pst. Everything else has been about why play offs are good in American sports. It's more a discussion for the NBA thread. "Why doesn't football have play offs like this?" Then the 15 or so people can discuss what the rest of us know nothing about while the rest of us are safe in our obliviousness.

We have threads dedicated to Ravel Morrison and Erik Pieters ffs, I think the board can tolerate this thread, which is way more relevant and stimulating. :lol:

They're footballers. As well as being past targets. This has more the feel of another American invasion. "We're going over the the UK to instil democracy in their sports. For tpo long their sports have been void of Americanisation. They will thank us in 10 years when we leave them with a flimsy framework for enforced change."

15/16 pages...damn it Mike.

I hereby ban you from all Chinese takeaways here.

:lol: But where am I going to get my presumptuous shrimp eggrolls, Sifu?

I'll send you some myself. Sealed and approved.

:lol: I feel like it's slightly OTT that you want me to die because of this thread.

All I've been trying to say is there are examples abroad of how the best team can be determined. If my examples are too American, I apologize for being American. MKSC said that they changed to a postseason system in Rugby. Isn't that league somewhat similar to yours? With the table and all of that? I can't use that as an example because I don't know anything about it.

Finally.

No your not.

"Tried and trusted" :memelol:

"Tradition" I'll grant you. "Trusted" ffs. :lol:

Also, the wildly hilarious irony of that statement.

How it's not trusted, seems to have worked pretty well for the best part of 125 years.

I apologise for all the times I piled into whatever thread in Chat and suggesteddemanded the implementation of a league system because I found playoffs boring.