Why no playoffs?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If I was to change something then I would change the League Cup by merging it with the Scottish League Cup at the 3rd round stage, both the winners and the runners up would qualify for Europe.

Sounds absolutely gash, that.

But if the top teams play so many "I'd settle for a draw here" teams, how can you honestly say they're the best team? Give every team a chance to play for the title and we'll know who the best team is.

Look our leagues, do the regular seasons even matter? The importance of every game in the Premier League are about 100X more than they are in our leagues. Just look at the reactions of people on here following a win or loss, you'd think it was the playoffs.

I was more in favor of a playoff-type thing to determine the last champions league spot or tie it into the FA cup at least, but that's a different issue entirely.

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/9153/696398be966a478cb721fc7.png

:lol: Which is the best team, here?

http://i.imgur.com/T02rbBD.jpg The regular season is a terrible way to determine a champion.

Mike is single handedly giving Scandinavia a run for it's money.

:lol: I don't know what this means, but I assume it's an incredible way of calling me an asshole.

But if the top teams play so many "I'd settle for a draw here" teams, how can you honestly say they're the best team? Give every team a chance to play for the title and we'll know who the best team is.

Teams settle for a draw because the top sides have better quality. If the lesser teams went for it against the top sides then they'd more often than not come away with nothing due to leaving so much space at the back. The settle for a draw mentality probably makes the top teams drop more points if anything.

http://i.imgur.com/T02rbBD.jpg The regular season is a terrible way to determine a champion.

:lol: I don't know what this means, but I assume it's an incredible way of calling me an asshole.

They're not the best team. Being the best team means being consistently the best over a long period of time, against all types of opponents.

I mean, what sport has suffered because they added playoffs? Get rid of the league cup that no one cares about, move the league fixtures into those old LC spots. You only need three matches if you go one and done.

Top eight teams like in NBA/NHL make it. One and done. No legs, no agg. Final top eight standings determined by winner, 2nd place, winner of 3rd, loser of 3rd place playoff. Then 4-8 could be GD.

Gives every team something to play for all year. Midtable teams pushing for that 8th spot, get a chance to compete for the trophy.

Best team isn't always the team in first.

:lol: I'll f*** off. I'm just saying, is all.

Every sport that has them has suffered. It makes a fucking mockery of the whole league man :lol:

They have them in the Chilean league and I wondered why I was bothering going (and sometimes didn't for that reason). My team over course of whole team accomplished a great feat by coming above Colo-Colo, Colo-Colo then beat them in the play-off and it meant fuck all.

Never liked the idea of playoffs, I can understand the excitement thing but it's not for me.

Take the Championship, a team can prove over a season they are say 10 points better than the team that finished 6th but despite proving that over 46 games one game can stop them being promoted. Nah!

They're not the best team. Being the best team means being consistently the best over a long period of time, against all types of opponents.

Right. They were the best team for a month. Why have the other 6 months then? Anything can happen in a month, someone could get hurt or a player could catch fire for a few weeks (Quick in the Kings case)

Look our leagues, do the regular seasons even matter? The importance of every game in the Premier League are about 100X more than they are in our leagues. Just looks at the reactions of people on here following a win or loss, you'd think it was the playoffs.

I was more in favor of a playoff-type thing to determine the last champions league spot or tie it into the FA cup at least, but that's a different issue entirely.

Disagree, honestly. The regular seasons separate the teams capable of competing for a title from the teams that need to rebuild/continue to build. Here you just get a bunch of teams that just...exist. We're not a bad team, but we never ever sit there in August thinking about this being our year. We genuinely play for nothing. We don't chase cups, we're not good enough to secure Europe consistently, and we're usually too good to go down. We, and several other teams just spin our wheels hoping something happens.

The reactions on here are so insane because this is their only sport, and because there's nothing to play for between 7th and 17th.

Right. They were the best team for a month. Why have the other 6 months then? Anything can happen in a month, someone could get hurt or a player could catch fire for a few weeks (Quick in the Kings case)

Because it's more exciting to put the top teams in a high pressure situation and see the reaction to the pressure/injuries than it is to watch the same four teams win the same title and play the same European matches vs the same continental teams year in and year out.

It's a shit way of doing it. The teams at the top are there because they deserve to be (albeit with a few helpful decisions from referee's).

If I was to change something then I would change the League Cup by merging it with the Scottish League Cup at the 3rd round stage, both the winners and the runners up would qualify for Europe.

The teams at the top are there because they've spent the most money to be there. Plain and simple.

Because it's more exciting to put the top teams in a high pressure situation and see the reaction to the pressure/injuries than it is to watch the same four teams win the same title and play the same European matches vs the same continental teams year in and year out.

I agree with you about seeing the same four teams all the time, but couldn't that be better solved by a spending cap? We are only seeing the same four teams every season because the same four teams outspend everyone. If you look at who won stuff before The Premier League it was much more mixed than it is now.

Agree with the bit about teams in the middle having nothing to play for. They should have a playoff-type thing to determine the last champions league spot, or at least the europe league spot. With the league being so top-heavy and everyone else being mediocre something should be done.

Obviously I love how our playoffs are run, but it's an interesting argument. 

It's a shit way of doing it. The teams at the top are there because they deserve to be (albeit with a few helpful decisions from referee's).

The teams at the top are there because they've spent the most money to be there. Plain and simple.

Yankees spend the most and lose all the god damn time in the playoffs.

Not against you, but still.

I agree with you about seeing the same four teams all the time, but couldn't that be better solved by a spending cap? We are only seeing the same four teams every season because the same four teams outspend everyone. If you look at who won stuff before The Premier League it was much more mixed than it is now.

Agree with the bit about teams in the middle having nothing to play for. They should have a playoff-type thing to determine the last champions league spot, or at least the europe league spot. With the league being so top-heavy and everyone else being mediocre something should be done.

Obviously I love our our playoffs are run, but it's an interesting argument. 

I feel like you wouldn't need a spending cap if you spread out the chance for glory. Four teams have a shot at the title, so four teams have the best players. If you gave 8 teams a realistic chance to win the trophy and make the CL you'd see the talent spread out a bit more. Baseball doesn't have a cap and the league is filled with great players playing in middle of the road cities, and helping those teams grow because they make the playoffs semi-regularly.

Mike man :lol:

I will say, playoffs are infinitely more exciting than having the league victor determined a month or more before the season ends. Today's ManU victory was the most anti-climactic "championship" possible (and Bayern's even more so). For every finish like last season's (which was spectacular, one of the best I've ever seen in any sport), you'll get 10 like this season's.

Clubs who win throughout the season absolutely deserve to be recognized. But if they can't continue their run of form by beating lesser club throughout a short playoff, they don't really deserve to win the league. It's an incentive for clubs to keep competing for something meaningful until the very last game. And it's not as if there's a wiping of the slate for playoffs. The top teams would be seeded higher, have "home-field advantage," etc. So it's not like ManU will dominate for the entire season and have nothing to show for it once playoffs roll around.

I've long read complaints about the lack of parity in the PL. Well, he's an answer.

While we're at it, scrap Europa. Doesn't make any sense in the slightest.

Yankees spend the most and lose all the god damn time in the playoffs.

Not against you, but still.

Well yeah, exactly my point. A playoff system is a way at reducing the impact of clubs like ManU, Chelsea, and City who spend god's money.

Playoffs = (some) parity.

While we're at it, scrap Europa. Doesn't make any sense in the slightest.

Shut up.

:lol: It's not like we're trying to infect you with some shitty system that doesn't work in our own sports or something.

Guest diddimz

Why stop at playoffs, if we want everyone to have a chance at the league, why not just declare a different winner each season before it kicks off, draw a team out of the hat and presto, congratulations Stoke on your victory, now go play 38 games and enjoy yourself.

We'd still find a way to mess it up though, like forget to put our name in the hat.