Alan Pardew

Mike

Guest icemanblue

How many times have we seen us play a good first half

We have no real pattern of play, no real way of keeping the ball.

You are contradicting each other while being in agreement.

Has Pardew set us up to play well in the first halves of games or not?

Reading was the prime example. Dominated for an hour before Pardew shat himself and whipped off the main fretts to Reading, Marveaux and Cabaye , who had ran the show between them. Ended up losing.

That's a bad example, as it's not entirely true. He took of Marveaux, that much is true. I forget who replaced him. However, Cabaye then asked to come off as he felt a knock/strain of some kind. That unfortunately left us well short on creativity and forward momentum. I'm sure that you can find a better suited example though.

Not really as it was Cabayes comeback game after a lay off and Pardew must've had an inkling he wasn't going to get the 90. In which case, why did he take off Marveaux beforehand ?

He may not have got the 90, but I'd hazard a guess that he was expecting him to last longer than the 60 (I think?) he did manage. As I say, it's a bad example because you'd given the impression that he'd elected to 'whip' them both off, despite them playing well. That wasn't the case, as an unexpected situation had caused the second substitution. Something he admitted after game, if I remember correctly. In this example, it wasn't his absolute intention to completely stifle our creativity and forward impetus.

There'll be other, clearer, and more damning examples. You could point to those instead?

He said it was unexpected. I'm saying that Cabaye struggles to get 90 when he plays week in week out, so it shouldn't have been unexpected and he should never have even contemplated taking Marveaux off beforehand.

It was rank bad management, and effectively cost us the game.

Reading was the prime example. Dominated for an hour before Pardew shat himself and whipped off the main fretts to Reading, Marveaux and Cabaye , who had ran the show between them. Ended up losing.

You're twisting your argument again, Billy. It perhaps wasn't the greatest example of prescient management, but, a deliberately negative move with the sole intention of 'shutting up shop' it was not. Like I've said, there are plenty of other examples you could use, as this is far from being your 'prime' one.

I'd say taking your two most creative players off was shutting up shop personally. Especially as he brought Perch and I think Anita to replace.

Sigh. We've gone full circle and we're now back at square one. It's unfortunate that you have to adopt this approach any time someone engages you in debate, as I'm sure you're not stupid. You've had ample opportunity to provide more examples, or even one, yet you're persisting with your 'prime' example that has many questions over it.

What decent teams really get anywhere just by 'keeping it tight'? If you want to be a good side you need more than that about you.

Expectations seem high round these parts.

With an effective transfer budget of zero, a chairman actually taking £30m OUT of the club over a couple of years, the lowest paid manager in the league, and a bench full of geriatrics/kids, what makes you think the chairman shares your ambition for getting anywhere and being a good side?

What decent teams really get anywhere just by 'keeping it tight'? If you want to be a good side you need more than that about you.

With an effective transfer budget of zero, a chairman actually taking £30m OUT of the club over a couple of years, the lowest paid manager in the league, and a bench full of geriatrics/kids, what makes you think the chairman shares your ambition for getting anywhere and being a good side?

expecting us not to be in a relegation fight is not high expectation.

what makes you think the chairman shares your ambition for getting anywhere and being a good side?

team, no squad, of full internationals not enough to expect to be free of relegation worry 'til the 37th games of the season ends?

Happy Face is adamant to keep this weird argument going, like. Fervently defending a manager who he concedes is a "no-mark" purely because he doesn't like Mike Ashley. It's mad.

Ad hominem.

Doesn't engage any of my points.

Just says I'm mad.

There is evidence that Alan Pardew is capable of getting Newcastle united  to finish in the top 5.  There is evidence of awful injury issues hindering that this season, of our main goal threat being sold and not replaced adequately.  There is evidence of improved results since he was given extra bodies to fill some of the gaps in January.

What evidence is there that Mike Ashley can find a more accomplished manager?

So fuck.

No-one's saying he should be sacked.........and then we should look for another manager. Though that's what will happen around about christmas time fwiw. The evidence for that is that Pardew's a bad manager with a bad record who always loses control after around a year, it's already happened here, it will continue.

Serious question here - what is Pardew's preferred brand of football?

I was thinking about it last night and I still haven't got a clue after 2 seasons. Pulis and Allardyce prefer a more direct, physical approach, Rodgers, Martinez, Wenger and a few others prefer carpet football, Hughton is defensive etc.

What exactly is the end goal for Pardew? If he actually pulls his finger out of his arsehole and gets us playing the way he wants us to, what will that look like?

Answers on a postcode

Direct, thats about all I can say about it.

i would say 'Boredom'

go out there and bore the opposition to death, when they are finally half asleep hit them with the counter long ball.

I've noticed that, i asked him about our style of play and the free kick hoofs. Maybe this will jog his memory.

Aye, dodging question all over aren't I.

There's a dozen of you and 2 of us expressing the counter argument.

I don't think Pardew is capable of implementing any style other than keeping it tight.  His set piece record is atrocious.

But then we scored from as many set pieces as Arsenal last season. Should Wenger be sacked for his awful set pieces?  We don't necessarily have to rely on them.

Fair enough on your reply, cheers mate.

Second thing, the point about Arsenal is pathetic, seeing as they score freely from open play, have a good movement and have been high in the league every year. Its a ridiculous comparison.

We're no Arsenal. But we've scored more goals from open play than ten other teams.

What's infuriating is we all know the limitations with set pieces, we can't get a whipped ball onto the head of one of our players to save out life.  So we should work around the limitation and play set pieces short until we have the personnel to deliver on them.

expecting us not to be in a relegation fight is not high expectation.

Spent 20m in Jan, and have one of the best first 11's outside of the top 6.  Expectations are around top 10 for most. Why must Ashley constantly take all the flak? he's far from perfect but fucking hell he's bought us a pretty fucking decent team

We can still finish in the top 10.

I was thinking about it last night and I still haven't got a clue after 2 seasons. Pulis and Allardyce prefer a more direct, physical approach, Rodgers, Martinez, Wenger and a few others prefer carpet football, Hughton is defensive etc.

What exactly is the end goal for Pardew? If he actually pulls his finger out of his arsehole and gets us playing the way he wants us to, what will that look like?

Answers on a postcode

i would say 'Boredom'

go out there and bore the opposition to death, when they are finally half asleep hit them with the counter long ball.

I can't see anything that jumps out as a particular style but its direct. Long ball, free kicks in our half launched into the oppo box.

yeah i guess it can be easy for a lot of people to label us a long ball team, but then you get down to it and think it over, our long balls are far too horrifically poor , which leads to the conclusion the team and manager don't train solely for long balls. 

So you scatch your head and think we dont pass the ball short that much either, we dont try to keep the ball either,... what style is this?

its fucking relegation fodder style.  no question.

I don't think there's a massive difference in the way we're set up either side of half time besides becoming gradually more negative as the game goes on providing we haven't gone behind. Even then, we sometimes have become more negative and gone for damage limitation.

I still don't understand.

Do the players ignore everything Pardew has said through the week and play more positively early in the game.....but then take great heed of everything he has to say at half time and come out ready to play his negative brand of football?

It defies logic.

Much more sensible to view it from the perspective that players lose concentration, they forget their instructions, they panic after a bit of pressure and resort more and more to methods that they had not been asked to use when in training for the game.

It's not more sensible, it just fits your opinion that the players are more to blame than Pardew. Do you think when a striker misses a chance that it's the manager's fault? Do you think when a team plays badly for an entire season (and by badly I mean ineffective) other than about 150 minutes, that's the managers fault? Or are ALL the players shit and unable to concentrate? They're forgetting instructions they were given less than 45 minutes ago? Are they fucking goldfish like?

I think we often look more competent in first halves because we've often got better players than the opposition and Pardew sends them out to not concede and see what they can do with the ball. They're not coached or encouraged to pass and move as a team or create space and opportunities, what they can do usually amounts to fuck all. If they weren't all told to keep their positions due to shape being the most important thing (there's tons of EVIDENCE for this) then perhaps they might achieve a bit more. We huff and puff, Cabaye plays balls over the top from centre half, we get it wide to players who can't cross.

Second half we're either winning (Pardew will settle for that) drawing (Pardew will settle for that in every single away game and most at home) or losing (there's fuck all he can do about it because the team aren't coached to attack, there's no emphasis on it, so he brings on Shola).

I couldn't give 2 shits about the set pieces personally, i'm more concerned about the lack of creation in open play which with the players we have is absymal.

Not to mention how negative we are, watch even Swansea or Southampton they have numbers from midfield joining the forwards when they attack.

Our midfield is rigid and deep with any movement what so ever.

If Pardew can fix all the tactics, coaching and playing style problems then fair play but i'm certain that he can't.

How many times have we seen us play a good first half

We have no real pattern of play, no real way of keeping the ball.

You are contradicting each other while being in agreement.

Has Pardew set us up to play well in the first halves of games or not?

That's a bad example, as it's not entirely true. He took of Marveaux, that much is true. I forget who replaced him. However, Cabaye then asked to come off as he felt a knock/strain of some kind. That unfortunately left us well short on creativity and forward momentum. I'm sure that you can find a better suited example though.

Not really as it was Cabayes comeback game after a lay off and Pardew must've had an inkling he wasn't going to get the 90. In which case, why did he take off Marveaux beforehand ?

He may not have got the 90, but I'd hazard a guess that he was expecting him to last longer than the 60 (I think?) he did manage. As I say, it's a bad example because you'd given the impression that he'd elected to 'whip' them both off, despite them playing well. That wasn't the case, as an unexpected situation had caused the second substitution. Something he admitted after game, if I remember correctly. In this example, it wasn't his absolute intention to completely stifle our creativity and forward impetus.

There'll be other, clearer, and more damning examples. You could point to those instead?

He said it was unexpected. I'm saying that Cabaye struggles to get 90 when he plays week in week out, so it shouldn't have been unexpected and he should never have even contemplated taking Marveaux off beforehand.

It was rank bad management, and effectively cost us the game.

You're twisting your argument again, Billy. It perhaps wasn't the greatest example of prescient management, but, a deliberately negative move with the sole intention of 'shutting up shop' it was not. Like I've said, there are plenty of other examples you could use, as this is far from being your 'prime' one.

I'd say taking your two most creative players off was shutting up shop personally. Especially as he brought Perch and I think Anita to replace.

Sigh. We've gone full circle and we're now back at square one. It's unfortunate that you have to adopt this approach any time someone engages you in debate, as I'm sure you're not stupid. You've had ample opportunity to provide more examples, or even one, yet you're persisting with your 'prime' example that has many questions over it.

It is the one that irritated me most.  But we've got deeper and deeper due to negative substitutes and also id wager keep what we hold half time team talks, in our last 3 away games. But you didn't need me to tell you that.

Answers on a postcode

i would say 'Boredom'

I can't see anything that jumps out as a particular style but its direct. Long ball, free kicks in our half launched into the oppo box.

But you'd describe Stoke and West Ham as direct yet we don't look like them.  I genuinely haven't got a clue what the man is trying to achieve from a playing style point of view.

We don't retain the ball particularly well, we don't play through the middle, we don't exploit the wings, we don't have dynamic forwards who interchange like Chelsea.  I'm honestly fucking baffled!

Answers on a postcode

i would say 'Boredom'

yeah i guess it can be easy for a lot of people to label us a long ball team, but then you get down to it and think it over, our long balls are far too horrifically poor , which leads to the conclusion the team and manager don't train solely for long balls. 

So you scatch your head and think we dont pass the ball short that much either, we dont try to keep the ball either,... what style is this?

its f***ing relegation fodder style.  no question.

yeah its long ball, but its not even effective Allardyce style long ball

its 'Pardew I Dont Know What I'm Doing' style thats what it is.

Answers on a postcode

i would say 'Boredom'

Because it is panic, get it away from our goal as far as possible long ball.

:lol: yeah with a result away from relegation. either way, thats not the salient point, my point was that was peoples expectations. My personal opinion is that we should be pushing top 6. Also we have the players to play an attacking, passing style of football. Not long ball league 1 shit.

Your expectations jumped fromk 10th to 6th in a matter of minutes.

Ashley better act fast or you'll bne demanding the title ;)

Guest Gemmill

HF will attempt to engage in intelligent debate with the stupidest of people for a lot longer than most humans would allow*.

Spudil, you should enjoy the patience he's affording you and see if you can learn something, rather than resorting to abuse.

*He was the very last person to run out of patience with Leazes ffs.

Any thoughts on Pardew?

Aye he's struggled this season. He was never gonna lose his job if he kept us up though, and I don't think he deserves to lose it yet.

Let's see where we are 10 to 15 games into next season. If he's still struggling then it's time for him to go. In the meantime, he needs to be backed in the transfer market in the summer.

If he gets sacked now, it's back to square one, more transition. You've got to back the current bloke and give him a chance to get it right. When he's proven that he definitely can't do it, then he goes. We're not at that point yet with Pardew imo.

Answers on a postcode

i would say 'Boredom'

Because it is panic, get it away from our goal as far as possible long ball.

Exactly....and we've done much less of it since January by the way.

What is it then HappyFace, massive coincidence or do our players have the worst concentration levels in the league?

Your're just repeating my question to you.

Given how often we've looked better i the first half of games as opposed to the second half of games, my view is that they are following the game-plan early on.

Whether due to goals scored or conceded, or the game getting on, or the opposition taking it up a notch.  Our players struggle to maintain their shape and concentration for 90 minutes.

This is more understandable with 3 or 4 new continental recruits on the pitch who are getting up to the pace of the English game, and a constantly changing starting 11 (when compared to last season)

Can you expand on why you believe Pardew sees us playing reasonably good stuff, then insists we stop playing so well and start defending for outr lives?  Settling for what he's got and hoping for more doesn't really cover it because he could do that from the first whistle, but the consensus seems to be, we don't.

Lie. We have not played 'good stuff' of any kind for more than 4 halves of football this season at the absolute most, everything positive we've done, absolutely everything has been of an individual nature or a peach of a pass over 30 yards. It wasn't sustainable last season and this season it's been shown up for the backwards approach to football that it is.

:lol: yeah with a result away from relegation. either way, thats not the salient point, my point was that was peoples expectations. My personal opinion is that we should be pushing top 6. Also we have the players to play an attacking, passing style of football. Not long ball league 1 shit.

Your expectations jumped fromk 10th to 6th in a matter of minutes.

Ashley better act fast or you'll bne demanding the title ;)

Ignore the fact we've been shit due to our end of season league position?  Didn't we do this a little while ago......

I've noticed that, i asked him about our style of play and the free kick hoofs. Maybe this will jog his memory.

Aye, dodging question all over aren't I.

There's a dozen of you and 2 of us expressing the counter argument.

I don't think Pardew is capable of implementing any style other than keeping it tight.  His set piece record is atrocious.

But then we scored from as many set pieces as Arsenal last season. Should Wenger be sacked for his awful set pieces?  We don't necessarily have to rely on them.

Arsenal don't have to rely on set pieces because they're great at creating chances as a team, you picked the worst possible team to compare us to. We could do with something to rely on because we can't create chances and we concede loads of goals, but he's shit at coaching set pieces as well. Incidentally, what are his good points as a manager?

Guest Dontooner

For some they just like results, and for some ...performances.

Those who enjoy and analyses football games will see how dire we have been this season and last. Think they genuinely think we can do better

Those who enjoy the game supporting/atmosphere and less of the intrigues of football are not wrong too. However don't support for the sake of it.

Either way we are at the mercy of a asshole owner, nothing will change if he wants nothing to be done.

I am in the Pardew out camp but realize the owner is quite a mule and likes to screw us over...

Just hoping he will do the unpredictable.

We just have to be patient , till the Board comes out and supports Pardew officially , i am clinging to the hope we might get someone better in.

No point debating if we could get someone better in because if the board did sack Alan Pardew , they must feel they can find better.

Just to add if they back him, it would mean this is the best we should be expecting, because it would not be for the 1st 10 games of the season much rather for the next 7 years.

I get that most people use football as their escape from the mundane realities of everyday life (the wife, the job, the kids, the realisation that they're now in their thirties and still not headed in any meaningful direction in life, etc.) but when the escapism you crave isn't provided for you by the team you've chosen to support (often the case for many on here) then why not reduce some of the emotional capital you're investing into something that is providing you with negative returns and find something else to take your mind off the those mundane realities? Golf, fishing, reading, cinema, knitting?

Alternatively, you could continue to participate in the N-O game of melodramatic one-upmanship.

:lol: I'm sorry but that is hilarious and not in a good way. That is such a 'holier than thou' attitude towards supporting the club it's depressing. 'The club isn't going to reach your standards to make up for your shit life so chose something else' seems to be the general theme. You can accept the realism that we're not great and we shoulsnt exopect to be and you can do so because it's not making up for deficiencies in your life?

I'm sorry but my life is great, and the football I've been subjected to this season is fucking shite, mate. Totally unacceptable and none of the shite excuses peddled wash. I'm sure this applies to everyone else too.

What a terrible post. Just so insular.

Guest alijmitchell

I get that most people use football as their escape from the mundane realities of everyday life (the wife, the job, the kids, the realisation that they're now in their thirties and still not headed in any meaningful direction in life, etc.) but when the escapism you crave isn't provided for you by the team you've chosen to support (often the case for many on here) then why not reduce some of the emotional capital you're investing into something that is providing you with negative returns and find something else to take your mind off the those mundane realities? Golf, fishing, reading, cinema, knitting?

Alternatively, you could continue to participate in the N-O game of melodramatic one-upmanship.

:lol: I'm sorry but that is hilarious and not in a good way. That is such a 'holier than thou' attitude towards supporting the club it's depressing. 'The club isn't going to reach your standards to make up for your s*** life so chose something else' seems to be the general theme. You can accept the realism that we're not great and we shoulsnt exopect to be and you can do so because it's not making up for deficiencies in your life?

I'm sorry but my life is great, and the football I've been subjected to this season is f***ing s****, mate. Totally unacceptable and none of the s**** excuses peddled wash. I'm sure this applies to everyone else too.

Word.

:lol: I'm sorry but that is hilarious and not in a good way. That is such a 'holier than thou' attitude towards supporting the club it's depressing. 'The club isn't going to reach your standards to make up for your shit life so chose something else' seems to be the general theme. You can accept the realism that we're not great and we shoulsnt exopect to be and you can do so because it's not making up for deficiencies in your life?

I'm sorry but my life is great, and the football I've been subjected to this season is fucking shite, mate. Totally unacceptable and none of the shite excuses peddled wash. I'm sure this applies to everyone else too.

:thup: