Alan Pardew

Mike

Oh dear, OPTA bollocks is being analysed. A new low.

That's generally what you do with stats, you know, analyze them :lol:

My eyes have shown me enough to tell me that our attacking play is poor, but numbers do prove that we create at least as many chances as most other teams. It's just that creating chances doesn't fully correlate with good attacking play.

Stats are fine as long as you accept that there are limitations on their analytical value. You don't need to be pigeonholed into thinking they're either omnipotent or completely worthless.

Certainly don't agree with some sports fans treating them like they're the devil.

Guest icemanblue

Who compiles these awful tables? I mean how ridiculous  :lol:

Me, on that occasion :laugh:

To be fair I just thought that as stats were being used to back up certain arguments that we might as well have the most relevant ones possible.

Cheers, Rich. However, they're a bit inconclusive. Neither overly negative, nor positive. They're not much use to people here. We need extremes. What have you got for me?

Southampton (but, Pochettino!), West Brom, Villa, Wigan (but, Martinez!), Fulham (but, Jol!), West Ham, QPR, Reading, Stoke and Sunderland, didn't. :anguish:

Pochettino hasn't been there long enough to compare and Fulham apart from Berbatov and Ruiz have a dire set of players.

Rest i don't care about as they are mid table and relegation dross.

You're cracking out the anguish because Norwich have created one more chance than us, man. Don't get reasonable, now. Who, out of those above us, would you be expecting us to create more than? I'll give you Swansea (but, Laudrup!) as a starter.

Fair point, do think that we don't create anywhere near enough chances and this is proof of that.

Also is their rules for when and where we crack out the anguish now?  ;)

It is?  :undecided:

No rules for it, as far as I'm aware, no. Dave hasn't approved my suggestions yet.

What more proof do you need? we don't create chances (clear cut or otherwise) and Marveaux is our top assister with 4!

Its personally my biggest worry this season, the lack of creation from open play.

With that said i wish you luck with your campaigning against the anguish brigade  O0

Who compiles these awful tables? I mean how ridiculous  :lol:

Me, on that occasion :laugh:

To be fair I just thought that as stats were being used to back up certain arguments that we might as well have the most relevant ones possible.

I meant as in some gadgie sitting in front of every game and marking off each chance, or each corner etc. :lol:

Has anything happened in the last 12 pages? Anything worth reading? ;D

:nope:

:thup: It's been even worse than when I get involved, stay clear.

Cheers, lads :lol:

It's even worse than when I get involved. Think about that!

Guest icemanblue

Southampton (but, Pochettino!), West Brom, Villa, Wigan (but, Martinez!), Fulham (but, Jol!), West Ham, QPR, Reading, Stoke and Sunderland, didn't. :anguish:

Pochettino hasn't been there long enough to compare and Fulham apart from Berbatov and Ruiz have a dire set of players.

Rest i don't care about as they are mid table and relegation dross.

You're cracking out the anguish because Norwich have created one more chance than us, man. Don't get reasonable, now. Who, out of those above us, would you be expecting us to create more than? I'll give you Swansea (but, Laudrup!) as a starter.

Fair point, do think that we don't create anywhere near enough chances and this is proof of that.

Also is their rules for when and where we crack out the anguish now?  ;)

It is?  :undecided:

No rules for it, as far as I'm aware, no. Dave hasn't approved my suggestions yet.

What more proof do you need? we don't create chances (clear cut or otherwise) and Marveaux is our top assister with 4!

Its personally my biggest worry this season, the lack of creation from open play.

With that said i wish you luck with your campaigning against the anguish brigade  O0

45 entirely not created clear cut chances? Only bettered by Norwich, Swansea and the current top seven? We haven't created enough, I'll give you that. That much is obvious from watching us play. However, the people like their stats, and the stats have spoken.

Can't keep up with this thread, but defending our performances this season using statistics is mental. The key statistics are the ones sprawled across the league table which show categorically that we've been complete and utter guff, and even they don't tell the full story. We've produced nothing more than negative, disorganised shit all season long aside from a few select games.

Can't keep up with this thread, but defending our performances this season using statistics is mental. The key statistics are the ones sprawled across the league table which show categorically that we've been complete and utter guff, and even they don't tell the full story. We've produced nothing more than negative, disorganised shit all season long aside from a few select games.

Well summarised. :lol:

I actually don't like stats tbh :lol: but in this case they tell some of the story but not the whole story as i think you are alluding too....

I actually when into depth with this stat and looked at individual players and found that Shola is 3rd with 4  :lol: so i wonder how they calculate it all.

Guest icemanblue

Well summarised. :lol:

I'm sure no one would ever use negative statistics to criticise the manager, would they? Especially not 'long ball' statistics. It's funny how stats only become useful when they paint an overly negative picture.

I don't fancy Pardew, either. Just going for a bit of balance.

You definitely need to post more Andy.

Can't keep up with this thread, but defending our performances this season using statistics is mental. The key statistics are the ones sprawled across the league table which show categorically that we've been complete and utter guff, and even they don't tell the full story. We've produced nothing more than negative, disorganised s*** all season long aside from a few select games.

I find it incredible that stats are being used to prove something when people’s eyes are telling them something else.  We’ve been garbage for most of this season and that wouldn’t change if somebody found a stat to say that we were the best, we weren't, we've been shite no matter how it gets dressed up.

My eyes have shown me enough to tell me that our attacking play is poor, but numbers do prove that we create at least as many chances as most other teams. It's just that creating chances doesn't fully correlate with good attacking play.

Stats are fine as long as you accept that there are limitations on their analytical value. You don't need to be pigeonholed into thinking they're either omnipotent or completely worthless.

Certainly don't agree with some sports fans treating them like they're the devil.

Nah, stats - particularly arbitrary bollocks like chances created - are indeed completely worthless.

One's own eyes will suffice.

Nah, stats - particularly arbitrary bollocks like chances created - are indeed completely worthless.

You still support Pardew, don't you?

Can't keep up with this thread, but defending our performances this season using statistics is mental. The key statistics are the ones sprawled across the league table which show categorically that we've been complete and utter guff, and even they don't tell the full story. We've produced nothing more than negative, disorganised s*** all season long aside from a few select games.

its taken how many pages for someone to say this !  :lol: :lol:

Guest Dontooner

Would be nice to have a sticky that complies the key stats updated on a weekly basis....

They don't tell a compelling story, but it does show the dramatic difference between the top 4 to the challenging group.

If there were a stat to underpin "Stop And Start" Games , i reckon we would be probably in the top 5.

You definitely need to post more Andy.

:thup:

As long as we're not including the Games Forum in that. Obviously.

You still support Pardew, don't you?

If he's here at the beginning of next season, he'll get a clean slate and I'll support him, yes. If the board decide to replace him with a 'superior' manager in the summer, I won't shed a tear. It's not life or death for me.

The real issue in the summer is getting some strength in depth as far as I'm concerned.

HF will attempt to engage in intelligent debate with the stupidest of people for a lot longer than most humans would allow*.

Spudil, you should enjoy the patience he's affording you and see if you can learn something, rather than resorting to abuse.

*He was the very last person to run out of patience with Leazes ffs.

Any thoughts on Pardew?

Aye he's struggled this season. He was never gonna lose his job if he kept us up though, and I don't think he deserves to lose it yet.

Let's see where we are 10 to 15 games into next season. If he's still struggling then it's time for him to go. In the meantime, he needs to be backed in the transfer market in the summer.

If he gets sacked now, it's back to square one, more transition. You've got to back the current bloke and give him a chance to get it right. When he's proven that he definitely can't do it, then he goes. We're not at that point yet with Pardew imo.

Cheers. I think that will also be the opinion of those in charge.

Personally I think things will get better, but almost by default rather than because he's particularly good. Things can't possibly be this bad next season if he's backed properly. I'd like to see us bring in players that he can use, rather than ones that simply look like a good deal financially.

Carr is lauded for the deals he finds but if we're not going to employ a manager capable of getting the best out of these players, why bother?

Btw I think there's a false notion going around that if you don't rate the manager, you must be a fan of the owner. I don't think that's true at all.