Alan Pardew

Mike

Guest Howaythetoon

I say give him longer, mostly because he is the closest any manager got to being a good manager for us over the past 8 years.

He is a damn lot better than Souness, Roeder, Allardyce, Keegan (MkII),  Kinnear, Shearer, and a little bit better than Hughton.

Who are these alternatives? Other PL managers that haven't amounted to anything? The next Jacques Santini? Or someone altogether unproven?

It has been a bad season, but the grass isn't always greener.

I guarantee Allardyce will have a better career than Pardew. He already has to date.

Guest bimpy474

I say give him longer, mostly because he is the closest any manager got to being a good manager for us over the past 8 years.

He is a damn lot better than Souness, Roeder, Allardyce, Keegan (MkII),  Kinnear, Shearer, and a little bit better than Hughton.

Who are these alternatives? Other PL managers that haven't amounted to anything? The next Jacques Santini? Or someone altogether unproven?

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/wtf/grand/30962484-wtf-reactionf-.gif

Guest Dontooner

Coined "Hoofed and Cross Pardew" ridiculing his preference style of play from last year(When we were 5th).

Watch every game like many others including the last 12, can't say i realize there were less long balls. However the overall play is still generally the same, we like to spread the ball to the wings and make punted crosses, hopeful long balls to the forwards form Cabaye or others or our best tactic pass the ball to HBA or Marv and hope for magic.

How about we debate how well we have been keeping possession, and the lack of threat from opening teams through movement and passing.

A good manager doesn't rely on a few key players to survive the league, i will say it with confidence that if HBA and Colo weren't involved this season we would have been relegated.

We have players that rely on instructions to play better and Players ( HBA,COLO) that doesn't need them as much.

The team directionless is mainly due to poor instructions, if we had a manager that is better in routines and coaching it would not come as an surprise to me that the players we have at our disposal will look much better. Be it Martinez that some rate him lower than Pardew, but the fact that the players we have, do not suit our current simple style.

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/wtf/grand/30962484-wtf-reactionf-.gif

:lol:

Laudrup's never stayed in a job long enough for the honeymoon to end.

So basically "stability" only counts when it suites the argument.

:lol: :thup:

Which argument is this?

The only sane argument that anyone could possibly have for keeping Pardew.

The only sane argument that anybody could possibly have for keeping Pardew if they had anything to say about the matter (i.e. if they were Mike Ashley) would be that he has overachieved last season, underachieved this, that there are mitigating circumstances to a certain extent and that he perhaps should be given more time to see what he can do next season.

The stability argument hasn't come from any of the posters on here, it's come from that very same one person who indeed has the final say on the matter.

It has came from posters on here though.

If you're not a believer in stability (I am) then I see little reason why we shouldn't get rid now and try some fresh ideas, if it doesn't work then it doesn't matter, we can just give them the chop and bring in another man.

Try not to respond through the eyes of Mike Ashley, or at least what you perceive his thoughts to be, it's incredibly irritating and ultimately irrelevant to the debate of whether or not Pardew is good enough for our squad.

Which posters have argued Pardew should remain our manager for the sake of stability out of interest?

I honestly cannot be arsed to look back and check usernames and any educated guesses would be unfair, but considering the debate was all about stability a week or so ago I know a few were spouting it.

Again though if stability isn't part of the argument for keeping him in charge then that's another pretty massive reason why he shouldn't be.

You've just made an argument up and claimed it was being used by posters on here, and you can't be arsed to prove it, because you know you can't. Nobody has claimed they want him to remain our manager, let alone for stability reasons.

You're not serious? ???

EDIT: Hans has already pointed out that you're talking s***.

Err

Guest Howaythetoon

Our only hope of Pardew getting the sack is if he confronts Ashley or challenges him on how the club is ran which is how Keegan and Hughton both fell foul to the powers that be. KK famously for not accepting having players brought in behind his back and Hughton for siding with the players over bonuses and other political disputes.

I'm sure Pardew would love more of a say when it comes to player recruitment and should there be this much talked about end of season review perhaps he will go into it laying some of or most of the blame for our season at the lack of investment in the summer and his minority role in player recruitment.

If he goes into the meeting demanding this or that player or this or that certain type of player, Ashley after investing so much in January may well tell him to do one. Or he may well listen and agree to sign some of the players Pardew would clearly like, namely someone like Andy Carroll if not Carroll himself.

If that is to be the case I'm all for it because I do feel we would do better and with it Pardew too, with a team that is better suited to how the manager wants us to play and the tactics he prefers, which our current squad with the exception of a few, simply aren't suited to.

Being sensible (I know...) for a moment, as much as I'd like to see him peddled and regard him as one of if not the worst manager in the league, we cannot afford to simply get in just anyone because they are not Pardew. His replacement must be someone who can get the very best out of the squad and develop a brand of football that sits easy with everyone concerned, most importantly the fans.

I'm resigned to him being here at the start of the new season though :(

Who are the alternatives? Such a weak argument, okay we have:

René Girard- Won French league with Montpellier HSC against the likes of PSG, will intergrate well with French, is desperate to work in the Premier league, has specifically stated he loves projects, relatively cheap wages, is leaving Montpellier at the end of the season so will be free.

Christian Gourcuff- considered in France as a shrewd tactician with a strong commitment to attacking football and an eye for young talent.

Gus Poyet- Young, ambitious, cheap, available if the right buttons are pushed, good footballing philosophy, can work with youngster, has a good record.

Rudi Garcia- Won the double with Lille, great football philosophy, worked with quite a few of ours players already such as Cabaye and Debuchy, rumoured to be leaving at the end of the season, exceptional with youth, won manager of the year, probably reasonably cheap.

Murat Yakin- Slightly more unproven then the others but built a great attacking FC Basel side, young and ambitious maybe worth a punt.

Philippe Montainer- Had Real Sociedad challenging for the Champions League, tactically sound, likes to intergrate youth, works well with small transfer budget.

Less realisitic but still options if Ashley wants to show ambition

Benitez- we already know all about.

Martinez- we already know all about.

So this there are no other options argument is ridiculous, all you have to do is change the channel and watch some other top leagues and its obvious there is a legion of young ambitious managers who would jump at the opportunity to manager a Premier League team.

Guest Howaythetoon

Who are the alternatives? Such a weak argument, okay we have:

René Girard- Won French league with Montpellier HSC against the likes of PSG, will intergrate well with French, is desperate to work in the Premier league, has specifically stated he loves projects, relatively cheap wages, is leaving Montpellier at the end of the season so will be free.

Christian Gourcuff- considered in France as a shrewd tactician with a strong commitment to attacking football and an eye for young talent.

Gus Poyet- Young, ambitious, cheap, available if the right buttons are pushed, good footballing philosophy, can work with youngster, has a good record.

Rudi Garcia- Won the double with Lille, great football philosophy, worked with quite a few of ours players already such as Cabaye and Debuchy, rumoured to be leaving at the end of the season, exceptional with youth, won manager of the year, probably reasonably cheap.

Murat Yakin- Slightly more unproven then the others but built a great attacking FC Basel side, young and ambitious maybe worth a punt.

Philippe Montainer- Had Real Sociedad challenging for the Champions League, tactically sound, likes to intergrate youth, works well with small transfer budget.

Less realisitic but still options if Ashley wants to show ambition

Benitez- we already know all about.

Martinez- we already know all about.

So this there are no other options argument is ridiculous, all you have to do is change the channel and watch some other top leagues and its obvious there is a legion of young ambitious managers who would jump at the opportunity to manager a Premier League team.

Good post but its highly unlikely that A) Pardew will be sacked and that B) Ashley and co will have heard of any of them never mind actually look to appoint any of them.

Its either Pardew or someone of his ilk, i.e. cheap, out of a job, British and a bit of a yes man.

The powers that be have no real ambition for NUFC because ambition requires significant investment and risk taking. They have even stated publicly that a top 10 finish is a target and anything else over and above a bonus. That's the way things will always be under Ashley. We may finish 5th once or twice or qualify for Europe the odd time but that will be the bonus aspect rather than the real target of the club.

Thankfully, Ashley is on an exit trajectory. Although that could take another 10 years to materialise...

Guest TheGreatBeardo

I am far more pro Pardew than most on here, but to not even try to get Benitez would be to reach amazing levels of stupidity. Benitez wants to stay in england, he isn't going to be at Chelsea next season, or Man U, City, Arsenal or Spurs. If we decided to replace Pardew we would essentially only be competing against Everton and teams from countries the guy doesn't want to manage in. Even if we had just had a relatively decent season, the prospect of getting a manger with a CV like Benitez's should be enough to prompt a change in manager. After the season we have just endured it's a no brainer.

Guest Howaythetoon

Benitez is high maintenance and therefore not an option, sadly.

He would guarantee a trophy in my opinion. Not instantly of course but give him a project of say 5 years and we would pick up a Cup win somewhere down that line.

Coined "Hoofed and Cross Pardew" ridiculing his preference style of play from last year(When we were 5th).

Watch every game like many others including the last 12, can't say i realize there were less long balls. However the overall play is still generally the same, we like to spread the ball to the wings and make punted crosses, hopeful long balls to the forwards form Cabaye or others or our best tactic pass the ball to HBA or Marv and hope for magic.

How about we debate how well we have been keeping possession, and the lack of threat from opening teams through movement and passing.

A good manager doesn't rely on a few key players to survive the league, i will say it with confidence that if HBA and Colo weren't involved this season we would have been relegated.

We have players that rely on instructions to play better and Players ( HBA,COLO) that doesn't need them as much.

The team directionless is mainly due to poor instructions, if we had a manager that is better in routines and coaching it would not come as an surprise to me that the players we have at our disposal will look much better. Be it Martinez that some rate him lower than Pardew, but the fact that the players we have do not suit our current simple style.

there is one thing i agree with the likes of Happyface, we have played less long balls in the last 3rd of the season.

but less long balls has not changed the overall performance of the team, we still receive the ball and look absolutely clueless with it, no one allowed/willing to make space by doing runs off the ball. 

Still same old same old, players all staying in the pockets resulting in the same old bullshit being on the back foot.  Even more shockingly the performance of the team has digressed even more after cutting out some of our long balls.

if certain posters wants to get angry with others over labeling Pardew a stubborn dimensional long ball merchant fair enough, but that dont take away the facts that the performance is looking worse and worse even with the additional of many new players , less long balls, not travelling to mars, not in europe, less games in one week etc etc

if anything it shows this fraud has only one way of making his team play with any sort of sustainability and that is his own trusted signature booting it long, being on the back foot football, and if he tries to or forced to change things that then ultimately leads to his team looking even more rudimentary and completely clueless. 

Guest Dontooner

The standard of Managers and Young Managers are sweeping through the game.

I don't believe there was ever a time in football where there are so many options to go for, especially the possession type of managers...

Soon enough the Dinosaur managers like O Niel would be extinct from the League.

I would like to think Pardew is one of them apart from his trying to be hip nature.

We would be one of the last teams in the 20 to replace them. Top of my mind Sam, Pulls, Pardew the old school English football pioneers. With a team like ours that fields only a few English players.........It might be time for a continental change i hope.

I am far more pro Pardew than most on here, but to not even try to get Benitez would be to reach amazing levels of stupidity. Benitez wants to stay in england, he isn't going to be at Chelsea next season, or Man U, City, Arsenal or Spurs. If we decided to replace Pardew we would essentially only be competing against Everton and teams from countries the guy doesn't want to manage in. Even if we had just had a relatively decent season, the prospect of getting a manger with a CV like Benitez's should be enough to prompt a change in manager. After the season we have just endured it's a no brainer.

:thup:

Guest Dontooner

Good list. Shame we only do English managers.

Give Ashley a Chance he has been in the game for 4 years. He learning the ropes.

Logically he has little to loose , he has the recruiting under control , the wages and the profits.

All he needs is a muppet which could make the team play good football and stay our of his ass.

Doesn't seem that hard compared to when he first bought the club..

The standard of Managers and Young Managers are sweeping through the game.

I don't believe there was ever a time in football where there are so many options to go for, especially the possession type of managers...

Soon enough the Dinosaur managers like O Niel would be extincted from the League.

I would like to think Pardew is one of them apart from his trying to be hip nature.

We would be one of the last teams in the 20 to replace them. Top of my mind Sam, Pulls, Pardew , old school English football. With a team like ours with few English players not like when we got relegated.........Its time for a continental one finally i hope.

I can guarantee that Pardew, should he lose his job with us, will never manage a team in the premiership again, maybe even the league. Who would want/take him? He was the managerial equivalent of a lepar when we took him. That should tell you enough about his quality!

Guest Howaythetoon

Its painful just how far behind the times we are as a nation when it comes to our football managers and their abilities or rather lack of. The fact that the likes of MON are still considered top managers is laughable. We don't just need to overhaul the grassroots game but the coaching and managerial side too.

Sadly there are young lads in grassroots youth football doing amazing things who will never ever get beyond managing a team of non professional 18 year olds because they themselves have never played the game at a pro or semi-pro level.

There is no philosophy to football in England unlike on the continent. We look at endeavor, spirit, physicality and sadly now statistics as key components of the game when in reality they bare no real significance at all.

:thup:

it is true beni wants to stay in england, it showed after he left lfc that he waited a year and a half until chelsea came up,  but us trying for him would be a waste of time, he can wait another 18 months for a top job in england but he certainly wont wait on nufc even if the job becomes available tomorrow, spurs perhaps one day? 

Our only hope of Pardew getting the sack is if he confronts Ashley or challenges him on how the club is ran which is how Keegan and Hughton both fell foul to the powers that be. KK famously for not accepting having players brought in behind his back and Hughton for siding with the players over bonuses and other political disputes.

I'm sure Pardew would love more of a say when it comes to player recruitment and should there be this much talked about end of season review perhaps he will go into it laying some of or most of the blame for our season at the lack of investment in the summer and his minority role in player recruitment.

If he goes into the meeting demanding this or that player or this or that certain type of player, Ashley after investing so much in January may well tell him to do one. Or he may well listen and agree to sign some of the players Pardew would clearly like, namely someone like Andy Carroll if not Carroll himself.

If that is to be the case I'm all for it because I do feel we would do better and with it Pardew too, with a team that is better suited to how the manager wants us to play and the tactics he prefers, which our current squad with the exception of a few, simply aren't suited to.

Being sensible (I know...) for a moment, as much as I'd like to see him peddled and regard him as one of if not the worst manager in the league, we cannot afford to simply get in just anyone because they are not Pardew. His replacement must be someone who can get the very best out of the squad and develop a brand of football that sits easy with everyone concerned, most importantly the fans.

This is the one point that will bury him in the long run. There is a distinct conflict of interest between the type of player we are scouting/employing and the type of player that suits Pardews desire to play the game.

Ashley has a blueprint of players he wants to buy, these players are not suited to the game Pardew plays (jumpers) and this (let the straw clutching begin) could be the boiling point in their relationship.

Its painful just how far behind the times we are as a nation when it comes to our football managers and their abilities or rather lack of. The fact that the likes of MON are still considered top managers is laughable. We don't just need to overhaul the grassroots game but the coaching and managerial side too.

Sadly there are young lads in grassroots youth football doing amazing things who will never ever get beyond managing a team of non professional 18 year olds because they themselves have never played the game at a pro or semi-pro level.

There is no philosophy to football in England unlike on the continent. We look at endeavor, spirit, physicality and sadly now statistics as key components of the game when in reality they bare no real significance at all.

Statistics......... Aaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhh!

Guest Howaythetoon

This is the one point that will bury him in the long run. There is a distinct conflict of interest between the type of player we are scouting/employing and the type of player that suits Pardews desire to play the game.

Ashley has a blueprint of players he wants to buy, these players are not suited to the game Pardew plays (jumpers) and this (let the straw clutching begin) could be the boiling point in their relationship.

Ashley does not and never will trust the manager to buy players. There is far too much money involved. There has to be a criteria or as Dexter would say, a Code. In a way, we could be changing the way football is conducted in terms of transfers in this country. I can see a time in the future where managers do not have any say on player recruitment like on the continent and for me, that is the best way forward. There is only a handful of managers who I would trust with money in the transfer market. And Benitez wouldn't be one of them...

Absolutely. Even the biggest Pardew supporters could see what a huge upgrade it would be.

Not only that (which is painfully obvious with the scouting/deployment of Vurnon Anita). There's also a quite obvious discrepancy in what we need and what we buy at times.

Just look at his comments about Remy/Sissoko with regards to what was done in January. He complains about the lack of goals because we didn't sign Remy. What we needed was goals after Ba left.

At any other club, the obvious way to go would after missing out on Remy, would be to try for another striker rather than going for Sissoko instead, mainly because he was a "good deal" at the time.

He's aiming indirect critisism at the way the club does business - cause we will never go for a play that we need over one that represents a good financial deal.

Guest Howaythetoon

Benitez' football is very boring mind, but very effective. Take last night for example. Very organised, very well drilled, they did not panic in possession or gave it away cheaply but as an attacking force they were very conservative and almost like a cat ready to pounce in terms of getting at the opposition. They rarely forced the issue. That's the way Benitez sets his sides up to play. I don't think I'd particularly enjoy that kind of football but its not nothing football that hinges on a few things, its a system designed to win games in certain ways and it works regardless as he has shown at Valencia, Liverpool and now Chelsea. 3 differing clubs with different players and challenges. He's a master tactician and would have us defensively strong and able to win games home and away in critical matches. He would have eventually won the league with Liverpool in my opinion.