Alan Pardew

Mike

Been mystified by the upbeat view some have of Pardew. Last season, particularly the atrocious end of season, might never have happened.

Whats Pardew done since to convince people he's the man for the job, let alone actually GOOD at it - not getting at anyone, just interested.

I'd LOVE to be proved wrong. LOVE IT as a certain ex manager is famous for saying.

I've not seen, heard or read any "upbeat views" of Pardew for quite some time. Hardly surprising considering how last season ended and some of the dreadful performances we witnessed.

However I think to some of the real Pardew haters on here, anyone who tries to bring balance to the debate or even just refuses join in with the mob's gratuitous, childish insults is enough to have them branded as a Pardew "supporter".

Have we not ditched that "pardew hater" thing? It's ridiculous. Can you not criticise him without being labelled a "hater"

I agree. We should drop the sympathiser one as well though.

I agree. I think that's fair for both sides.

Fucking Ian W sympathiser.

There were also games like Blackburn away where he was dreadful. I think he got the HBA thing spot on tbh.

:thup: Pardew's handling of Ben Arfa has arguably been his biggest success at the club imo. You only have to look back to his games earlier in that season to see his situation was going to require a bit of patience (Spurs 2-2 was the prime example). It was frustrating at times because Obertan seemed to be the only alternative on the wing, but incrementally allowing Hatem to mould into that wide role was a massive reason for why we came 5th.

I really, really liked that 4-3-3. It was solid, efficient and ruthless. You don't win 6 games on the bounce without a formation that isn't absolutely water-tight all over the pitch, even if some say we championed that system too much. I wish that serious off-day at Wigan never happened; it had enormous implications imo. I'd compare it to the likes of Partizan Belgrade in the way it sparked a downward spiral.

There were also games like Blackburn away where he was dreadful. I think he got the HBA thing spot on tbh.

:thup: Pardew's handling of Ben Arfa has arguably been his biggest success at the club imo. You only have to look back to his games earlier in that season to see his situation was going to require a bit of patience. It was frustrating at times because Obertan seemed to be the only alternative on the wing, but incrementally allowing Hatem to mould into that wide role was a massive reason for why we came 5th.

I really, really liked that 4-3-3. It was solid, efficient and ruthless. You don't win 6 games on the bounce without a formation that isn't absolutely water-tight all over the pitch, even if some say we championed that system too much. I wish that serious off-day at Wigan never happened; it had enormous implications imo. I'd compare it to the likes of Partizan Belgrade in the way it sparked a downward spiral.

I never understand why he refuses to go back to 4-3-3, it works and it clearly suits our players.  It's strange because he's not actively thinking "I'm not playing the best formation for us that worked in the past", he genuinely thinks 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 is the best solution despite it not working last season. 4-2-3-1 when away or playing anyone half decent 4-4-2 at home against weak sides, I guarantee this is how it'll go all season until he's sacked.

:thup: Pardew's handling of Ben Arfa has arguably been his biggest success at the club imo. You only have to look back to his games earlier in that season to see his situation was going to require a bit of patience. It was frustrating at times because Obertan seemed to be the only alternative on the wing, but incrementally allowing Hatem to mould into that wide role was a massive reason for why we came 5th.

I never understand why he refuses to go back to 4-3-3, it works and it clearly suits our players.  It's strange because he's not actively thinking "I'm not playing the best formation for us that worked in the past", he genuinely thinks 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 is the best solution despite it not working last season. 4-2-3-1 when away or playing anyone half decent 4-4-2 at home against weak sides, I guarantee this is how it'll go all season until he's sacked.

I was hoping he would go for the 4-3-3, but I have to admit it looks like you're right. He didn't even try it out in pre season. He really needs to start well or he is fooked.

I think he prefers the 4-2-3-1 because in his mind it's more defensively solid.  You've got 2 DMs in there and the 3 tracking back behind the ball too.  Unfortunately it leaves Cisse isolated up front and our side fairly toothless.

If Jonas is one of the 3 then we have 8 out of 11 players whose primary role or quality is defence.

I was hoping he would go for the 4-3-3, but I have to admit it looks like you're right. He didn't even try it out in pre season. He really needs to start well or he is fooked.

He claimed to have tried it at one point last season (can't remember what game it was but I think we lost, obviously). It wasn't anything like the 4-3-3 from the season before; Cisse was on the wing for a start.

I think he prefers the 4-2-3-1 because in his mind it's more defensively solid.  You've got 2 DMs in there and the 3 tracking back behind the ball too.  Unfortunately it leaves Cisse isolated up front and our side fairly toothless.

If Jonas is one of the 3 then we have 8 out of 11 players whose primary role or quality is defence.

Yeah, I think it's a mistake though because a central 3 is actually quite hard to play through. Our back four is also decent.

Anyway, hoping he tries something.

He claimed to have tried it at one point last season (can't remember what game it was but I think we lost, obviously). It wasn't anything like the 4-3-3 from the season before; Cisse was on the wing for a start.

We need to start a campaign loads of banners that say

"OI PARDEW 4-3-3 YOU THICK ****,  THAT WAS WHY WE FINISHED 5TH"

Yeah because Ba refused to play on the wing so we shafted Cisse out wide for a handful of appearances and had nowhere near the same effect. Then we sold Ba, instead of putting Cisse back through the middle, he gave Shola the nod and his excuse after the match was Ba's absence midweek had spoilt the gamelan prepared and Shola was the nearest like for like replacement. Baffling.

Yeah because Ba refused to play on the wing so we shafted Cisse out wide for a handful of appearances and had nowhere near the same effect. Then we sold Ba, instead of putting Cisse back through the middle, he gave Shola the nod and his excuse after the match was Ba's absence midweek had spoilt the gamelan prepared and Shola was the nearest like for like replacement. Baffling.

Exactly, it was properly weird that one.

Guest bimpy474

It's even more wierd when you think he would change formation mid game. So with 48 hours notice he can't but 20, 40, 60 mins in to a game he can  :icon_scratch:

It's even more wierd when you think he would change formation mid game. So with 48 hours notice he can't but 20, 40, 60 mins in to a game he can  :icon_scratch:

He didn't need to change the system just stick Cisse through the centre and a winger out wide.

Swansea http://www.nufc.com/html/2012-13html/2012-11-17swansea-h.html

"We played 4-3-3. We were 4-3-3. Sammy (Ameobi) was on the left-hand side, and joining with Demba (Ba) and I thought he did a good job. Shola (Ameobi) came on at half-time and upped us again. We had our best spell when the two were together"

I remember this whole episode. I was trembling with rage.

Swansea http://www.nufc.com/html/2012-13html/2012-11-17swansea-h.html

"We played 4-3-3. We were 4-3-3. Sammy (Ameobi) was on the left-hand side, and joining with Demba (Ba) and I thought he did a good job. Shola (Ameobi) came on at half-time and upped us again. We had our best spell when the two were together"

The scoreline flattered us that day too.