Alan Pardew

Mike

Neither Anita nor Marveaux have done enough to make their inclusion an absolute necessity.

I love the 'Marveaux type' player, absolutely love them, but, he doesn't go looking for the ball nearly enough. Tons of ability, great control, gets his head, fantastic range of passing (best at the club), good spurt of speed when he wants. Shown a lack the competitive edge to dominate his opponents with his ability though.

He's only got the likes of Jonas to compete against for a place. He should make himself undroppable.

How much more do they have to do than be clearly better footballers than Jonas and Tiote?

As for making themselves undroppable, that's down to the manager......

Neither Anita nor Marveaux have done enough to make their inclusion an absolute necessity.

I love the 'Marveaux type' player, absolutely love them, but, he doesn't go looking for the ball nearly enough. Tons of ability, great control, gets his head, fantastic range of passing (best at the club), good spurt of speed when he wants. Shown a lack the competitive edge to dominate his opponents with his ability though.

He's only got the likes of Jonas to compete against for a place. He should make himself undroppable.

How much more do they have to do than be clearly better footballers than Jonas and Tiote?

Listen, i don't like Jonas and i don't like Tiote (much) but Anita is powder puff and Marveaux goes missing. Simple. Neither of them have put in the kind of perfomance that screams for inclusion. That's a shame because we could do with their talents but they need to show more competitve spirit. More fire.

Guest icemanblue

That's nonsense, like. Their 'class' hasn't produced any massively standout performances, and they've both been lacking when it comes to dealing with the physicality of the league. There's no escaping that. Granted, they haven't had a wealth of chances, but they haven't done a great deal with what they have been afforded.

That's nonsense, like. Their 'class' hasn't produced any massively standout performances, and they've both been lacking when it comes to dealing with the physicality of the league. There's no escaping that. Granted, they haven't had a wealth of chances, but they haven't done a great deal with what they have been afforded.

It was nothing short of disgusting the way Anita was treated over new year, he struggled early doors not being given the run and was struggling but once Tiote got injured then left for African Nations, Anita came into his own and was showing all the signs of developing into a top player then soon as Tiote came back he was instantly dropped to hardly be seen again for the season. Marv on the other had has been given cameo roles off the bench where he's expected to come and create some magic when our backs are against the wall and confidence is low, makes things 10 times harder to shine. One he was given a boost of confidence and actually picked to start, he was given the job of defending Leighton Baines at Goodison Park, what an awful decision that was, Marv was in for a killing soon as he got on the pitch.

Listen, i don't like Jonas and i don't like Tiote (much) but Anita is powder puff and Marveaux goes missing. Simple. Neither of them have put in the kind of perfomance that screams for inclusion. That's a shame because we could do with their talents but they need to show more competitve spirit. More fire.

I bet you were banging this drum re: Ben Arfa as well  :rolleyes:

I agree they lack something physically, for example why Marveaux isn't suitable for wide of a forward three. Anita also struggles under the high ball. I just think that those weaknesses aren't enough to justify the constant selection of Jonas and Tiote ahead of them. Although I would equally happy if Tiote recovered some form and made himself actually undroppable.

Probably because they are instructed to play in a way that doesn't suit their game.  That's our whole fucking problem, most of our players are instructed to play in a way that does not suit them, or a system that does not suit them.

Guest neesy111

Almost the whole team didn't do a great deal last season tbh.

I bet you were banging this drum re: Ben Arfa as well  :rolleyes:

Nope.

Stand out performances perhaps not, match winning moments is certainly true for Marveaux however. Following his assist against Stoke Pardew rightly recongnised that he was one of the few players who could break down a solid defense with an incisive pass.

It's about getting your best players on the pitch. Many people would say that Hatem blows hot and cold but he has the ability to win you a match. The same could be said of Marveaux. He might not boss a game as such but his talent means he should be on the pitch and the team set up to accommodate his ability. This is particularly so when you consider the other options.

Last season he had 10 starts and 12 sub appearances in the league. He managed 4 assists and 1 goal. May not have been a stand out performance but it is a significant contribution.

Guest icemanblue

I agree they lack something physically, for example why Marveaux isn't suitable for wide of a forward three. Anita also struggles under the high ball. I just think that those weaknesses aren't enough to justify the constant selection of Jonas and Tiote ahead of them. Although I would equally happy if Tiote recovered some form and made himself actually undroppable.

I don't disagree that those two shouldn't be undroppable, like. I'm just not comfortable with the assertion that Anita and Marv should be guaranteed starters ahead of them simply because of their apparent 'class'. If they'd shown enough, during their few starts and sub appearances, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

We might not have won the game but the 4-3 at Old Trafford and we had Marv/Bigi/Anita, they might not have had this kick them up the air attitude and bully the opposition through sheer physicality but by god did they try and give Man Utd a go for pure football ability, we passed the ball well, we created chances, we were holding our own, it was such a shame they came away with nothing for the efforts they had put in that day. Then Marv followed that with a standout performance at the Emirtates where he was threatening them every time he was on the ball

I don't disagree that those two shouldn't be undroppable, like. I'm just not comfortable with the assertion that Anita and Marv should be guaranteed starters ahead of them simply because of their apparent 'class'. If they'd shown enough, during their few starts and sub appearances, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

No-one should be undroppable, but they should be in the team at home to everyone bar the sovereign states (not including Southampton and Swansea).

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/10609682._/?

“.. but it’s still 11 v 11. You must always enter every game in the belief that you can go and win it and I’ve always done that. Even last year when we were really struggling for confidence and even personnel we had to enter the game with a game plan and a belief that you can win.

“Trust me, we will be looking to do that next season too.”

We believe you Alan, more of the same then.  Brilliant.

Over the xmas/new year period there might look like a lots L's on paper but the performances we were putting in with the team selections we were putting out was actually positive. Young players were getting game time and were showing serious signs of progression but soon as Jonas became fit, Tiote returned from international duty, they were instantly dropped when they shouldn't have been.

Guest icemanblue

No-one should be undroppable, but they should be in the team at home to everyone bar the sovereign states (not including Southampton and Swansea).

Possibly, depending on form and that, aye. I suspect we'll be seeing a bit more of Anita this season, anyway. Marv, I'm not so sure about. Might depend on injuries.

Over the xmas/new year period there might look like a lots L's on paper but the performances we were putting in with the team selections we were putting out was actually positive. Young players were getting game time and were showing serious signs of progression but soon as Jonas became fit, Tiote returned from international duty, they were instantly dropped when they shouldn't have been.

Exactly, look at Villa, it took a while but they finished above us with a young squad playing some decent football. Dire first half of the season in terms of results.

Guest bimpy474

I find the story of him thinking about playing Elliot instead of Krul at Man City very disturbing.

If Krul isn't 100% fit what's the issue?

He was saying Tim's fine in the one i read, it was the Elliot has kept 3 clean sheets in a row and is in good form, and could start which woried me.