Alan Pardew

Mike

It has to be remembered that most of the lower to mid table clubs who have really strengthened this summer have borrowed on the strength of the TV money they will get next May.  It seems to me that we have decided our squad is now strong enough not to fall into the relegation scrap we were in last season because (a) we dont have the extra games in Europe and (b) we brought in 5 players last January who are now bedded in (and hopefully speaking English) and have replaced BA with Remy on loan, so will be that much stronger over the full season.  IF and its a big IF, we do manage to finish in the top half, then surely we will then be in the enviable position of having all of the TV money to really strengthen the side, when all the others around us have spent their TV money, so that we could push for the top four/six in the following season.  Its all conjecture on my part but knowing NUFC dont borrow money to pay for transfers its a realistic prospect that we are simply waiting for the TV money to land in the bank before spending it.

I think you're missing the point.

Sure, we're not spending next seasons inflated money. I get that. Why though can't we spend this seasons? What we spend in January was surely last seasons because we spent almost nowt the summer before, so where's that gone?

In fact, over the last 5 years we have a net spend of 0. Behind every other club in the league. Here, have a look:

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/transfer-league-table-last-five-seasons.html

We're not spending any of our TV money ever, so what gives you the remotest confidence that Ashley is going to do anything other than trouser next years as well?

I cant see us spending much of that new TV deal.  The club will be run like this until he decides he has had enough and sports direct has had the expsore it needed in the premier league.

Where or when he goes nobody can guess.

Guest Brazilianbob

It has to be remembered that most of the lower to mid table clubs who have really strengthened this summer have borrowed on the strength of the TV money they will get next May.  It seems to me that we have decided our squad is now strong enough not to fall into the relegation scrap we were in last season because (a) we dont have the extra games in Europe and (b) we brought in 5 players last January who are now bedded in (and hopefully speaking English) and have replaced BA with Remy on loan, so will be that much stronger over the full season.  IF and its a big IF, we do manage to finish in the top half, then surely we will then be in the enviable position of having all of the TV money to really strengthen the side, when all the others around us have spent their TV money, so that we could push for the top four/six in the following season.  Its all conjecture on my part but knowing NUFC dont borrow money to pay for transfers its a realistic prospect that we are simply waiting for the TV money to land in the bank before spending it.

Sure, we're not spending next seasons inflated money. I get that. Why though can't we spend this seasons? What we spend in January was surely last seasons because we spent almost nowt the summer before, so where's that gone?

In fact, over the last 5 years we have a net spend of 0. Behind every other club in the league. Here, have a look:

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/transfer-league-table-last-five-seasons.html

We're not spending any of our TV money ever, so what gives you the remotest confidence that Ashley is going to do anything other than trouser next years as well?

Well he does own the club and he can trouser as much money as he wants.  Its his money after the fans hand it over.  If you dont like the product he provides dont buy it.  Its as simple as that.

Well he does own the club and he can trouser as much money as he wants.  Its his money after the fans hand it over.  If you dont like the product he provides dont buy it.  Its as simple as that.

That's OK then..

Ah, sorry. I didn't realise that the only options were "Pay and be happy" or "Shut up and withold money". Here's me thinking that voicing discontent was an option. How foolish of me.

For what it's worth, I've already said quite clearly (somewhere on here!) that I'll not be giving them another penny until there's a visible shred of ambition from them. I'll be going to no matches, buying no merchandise, no Sky subscription, and certainly will not be frequenting his tatty charva clothing shops (they're not even worthy of being called sports shops, as they barely stock sports equipment).

But that cannot be the limit of what I'm allowed to do. I can, and will, complain loudly about the running of a club that quite simply is part of me. Part of my upbringing. I've been going to matches for over 20 years now, rain or shine, good or bad. But at least during the bad times of Allardyce, Souness, Ardilles, Gullitt etc there was a feeling that it was an appointment gone wrong from the board, that we just had to see out the bad times and wait to see who would be next in and then it might get better. Just bad luck, if you like, and that we (Board included) were all in it together. Under those circumstances, I never even contemplated not going.

Now though it's a deeper issue. Now, we're nothing but a cash cow and money laundering resource for a tatty clothes shop. Our poor performances are not bad luck from a poor appointment that will soon be rectified. No, they're a sign that the owner has set the bar at mediocrity. It's not that we aren't competing, it's that we don't even want to compete. He's realised he can never fully own the soul of Newcastle United, so he's turning it into nothing but an advertising vehicle for his other business and a money generation tool, whilst treating everyone who cares for the club with utter contempt.

And after 20+ years of watching us, Newcastle is too deeply in my blood to just quietly slink off and say "oh well, that's fine, I'll just not go anymore". Maybe some can, but that's not an option for me. I can do the not going bit (Living some distance away for the last 4 years helps, but I normally I've always tried to get to as many games as I can when I'm back 'home'), but I can't do the not caring bit. Those emotions cannot be switched off, I can't get to Saturday, know Newcastle are playing and not give a shit.

So instead I'll complain. Loudly and repeatedly. If anyone finds my complaining more offensive, annoying or having a more of an adverse effect on their life than what is happening under Ashley's tenure to Newcastle United, then I'd question your priorities somewhat and your reason for being on a Newcastle related discussion forum.

A football club is not the same as any other business! Its a cultural institution that has represented the city of Newcastle for over 100 years. It has been part of some peoples entire lives and is much more than a 'if you don't like it don't spend your money.'

Newcastle United is not Mike Ashley's regardless of if he owns it or not.

A football club is not the same as any other business! Its a cultural institution that has represented the city of Newcastle for over 100 years. It has been part of some peoples entire lives and is much more than a 'if you don't like it don't spend your money.'

yeh like 99.9% of football club owners actually gives a shit.

Unfortunately not true: it is absolutely his and he can do with it what he wants. This is exactly what he has been doing and will continue to do so.

As with any other company, unhappy customers could cause a change in the running of the company. That is the only solution.... but as long as people show up regardless he has no need to change.

i know a lot of people are upset and disappointed with the lack of transfers and rightly so.

lets be real though, no matter who we might had signed, soon as Jonas and Tiote are available they will be straight back in the starting line up.  And Ameobi will be the forever removable object from the match day squad.

Unfortunately not true: it is absolutely his and he can do with it what he wants. This is exactly what he has been doing and will continue to do so.

As with any other company, unhappy customers could cause a change in the running of the company. That is the only solution.... but as long as people show up regardless he has no need to change.

I don't think you understand. We are not customers, we are supporters.

Voicing discontent is only an option when someone is listening and we all know Ashley aint listening

I disagree. We CAN make his life uncomfortable, be it by hitting him in the wallet or by criticising him in public places, such as on matchday. The cunt that he is, he will probably retaliate by selling our best players without replacing them and renaming the stadium once again, but fuck it, we can't just sit back and do nothing while this cancer of a man destroys a part of us.

Literally would have more respect for the club if they just told the truth.

Why not just come out and admit it... we need to pay off Ashley's loans first and we will scrape by with minimal investment unless we look fucked in January.

In fairness, we did buy a lot of first team players in January compared to other clubs. I'd be interested if you compared our spending and signings against others in the league if you added January and the Summer windows together for 2013, but ultimately we still missed out on bringing in talented players to improve the squad. You should always look to move on someone shite or past it and improve. We bought nobody.

Why not just come out and admit it... we need to pay off Ashley's loans first and we will scrape by with minimal investment unless we look f***ed in January.

In fairness, we did buy a lot of first team players in January compared to other clubs. I'd be interested if you compared our spending and signings against others in the league if you added January and the Summer windows together for 2013, but ultimately we still missed out on bringing in talented players to improve the squad. You should always look to move on someone s**** or past it and improve. We bought nobody.

Why not go back as far as five years as posted by the link in the Ashley thread today? A nett spend of -5 million per season over a five year span, and that includes last January.

Why not just come out and admit it... we need to pay off Ashley's loans first and we will scrape by with minimal investment unless we look f***ed in January.

In fairness, we did buy a lot of first team players in January compared to other clubs. I'd be interested if you compared our spending and signings against others in the league if you added January and the Summer windows together for 2013, but ultimately we still missed out on bringing in talented players to improve the squad. You should always look to move on someone s**** or past it and improve. We bought nobody.

Why not go back as far as five years as posted by the link in the Ashley thread today? A nett spend of -5 million per season over a five year span, and that includes last January.

Only because we did buy more in January then you would normally, just wanted to clarify if that had an impact on this Summer only compared to everyone else. Going back further than that ruins that comparison.

It's a fairly moot point anyway, we needed to improve and we didn't, it was just to humor and validate the pointlessness of that comment from the club.

I understand completely.  However, Ashley regards you as a customer...... and one that can be abused and not be lost.

A great customer to have don't you think?

how much of the money Ashley 'invested' had actually been recovered?

Get real - you are giving him your money and as such, are a customer - you may call yourself a supporter if it makes you feel good(or justifies what you do), but like it or not, you are a customer of Sports Direct when you buy ANYTHING Ashley is selling.