Alan Pardew

Mike

Newcastle in the early 2000s were a big brand with turnover to match.

As the decade wore on we kept trying to spend our way to the top but our performance didn't match.  Ashley bought a top brand that was struggling financially.

Like he does with all struggling brands he buys, he does not try to restore their former glory.  Rather he applies his own cheap methods to drive costs down while retaining the name that can sell.

Every season that Ashley keeps hold of the club, the brand is chepened more.  It is not the brand it was when he bought it.  The club as it is could not attract Sir Bobby Robson, it can't attract top sponsors or players or sell it's corporate boxes.  We have the cheapest tickets in the country, just to keep stadium approaching the capacity it could have doubled a decade ago.

If I went on a diet and used a bit of moisturiser i could be an oil painting.  Newcastle could be too, but it will never be while Ashley is running the show.

You make some canny assumptions.  You say we can't attract top sponsors, based on what?  What makes Newcastle a harder sell than Sunderland who have smaller gates and are shown less often on TV?

You claim we can't sell corporate boxes, if that is true why did we put up new boxes at the back of the Leazes only last season?

As for us having low ticket prices, that's because the club is shit and people are not willing to pay over the odds to have the piss ripped out of them.  If the club was run properly then people would be willing to pay more to watch a successful club.

Guest Haris Vuckic

''You claim we can't sell corporate boxes, if that is true why did we put up new boxes at the back of the Leazes only last season?''

=

''Stack them high and sell them cheap''

''You claim we can't sell corporate boxes, if that is true why did we put up new boxes at the back of the Leazes only last season?''

=

He said "it can't attract top sponsors or players or sell it's corporate boxes".

Everton pay their manager 10 times what Newcastle do. 

Martinez wasn't "available" either, they paid millions to release him from his Wigan contract.

Ashley would never show that ambition.

But that's just Everton getting their priorities right because they have people with a feel for the game making decisions. They still operate to a strict budget and you only have to listen to their fans over the last decade to see the truth in that. But I'll give their owner credit, he's savvy enough to realise the manager's position isn't one to cut corners and he's prepared to pay well to get it right. He won't have had any regrets watching them storm to a 3-0 lead over us last Monday while destroying us with far superior football.

So we're all in agreement.  If we were run properly and paid a manager properly and weren't seen as a joke we could easily attract a good man and top sponsors and sell tickets/boxes at the going rate.

But we aren't so we can't.

If Ashley was so inclined there's no limit on what we could do. He's not. So we're a second rate club with a second rate manager, second rate sponsors, second rate prices and third rate dof.

So we're all in agreement.  If we were run properly and paid a manager properly and weren't seen as a joke we could easily attract a good man and top sponsors and sell tickets/boxes at the going rate.

If Ashley was so inclined there's no limit on what we could do. He's not. So we're a second rate club with a second rate manager, second rate sponsors, second rate prices and third rate dof.

we've hired someone to replace JFK? Because 3rd rate is generous for him

Guest Haris Vuckic

=

He said "it can't attract top sponsors or players or sell it's corporate boxes".

You are a knob

:aww:

Besides it can't see the fuckers - they've been whoring them round cheap recently.

Agreed. But then it doesn't mean we have to all sit back and accept it. If he's appointing his mates to run our football club and they aren't doing a good job why should we let Pardew or Kinnear off the hook? They are getting paid to manage Newcastle, with it there comes certain expectations. If they aren't up to it, then they should expect criticism.

Agreed. But then it doesn't mean we have to all sit back and accept it. If he's appointing his mates to run our football club and they aren't doing a good job why should we let Pardew or Kinnear off the hook? They are getting paid to manage Newcastle, with it there comes certain expectations. If they aren't up to it, then they should expect criticism.

Paid properly...

According to the sun Pardews 8 year contract is with 25 million

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4560310/Alan-Pardew-signs-eight-year-contract-at-Newcastle.html

Mentioning Kinnear struck a chord with me there.  I've not been going off it with Kinnear in particular either.  He's not going to become a good DOF or all of a sudden start presenting a professional face for the club.  But that's because he is Joe Kinnear.  Ashley is to blame for giving him a job.  Joe Kinnear can't be blamed for being the Joe Kinnear everyone knows he is.

Same with Pardew, and almost every other appointment Ashley makes....or will ever make.

Paid properly...

According to the sun Pardews 8 year contract is with 25 million

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4560310/Alan-Pardew-signs-eight-year-contract-at-Newcastle.html

What I can see of the article suggests (if £25m is accurate) that it's between Pardew and 3 other backroom staff.  We also know how heavily Ashley stacks contracts towards incentives so half of that £3m a year the 4 men potentially share will rarely be paid out.

So it's still true that Everton, who paid a £4m a year base salary to Moyes, see the value of paying what it takes for a good manager.

Ashley still seems to view the manager as someone who's there to set the cones up, and pays accordingly.

Mentioning Kinnear struck a chord with me there.  I've not been going off it with Kinnear in particular either.  He's not going to become a good DOF or all of a sudden start presenting a professional face for the club.  But that's because he is Joe Kinnear.  Ashley is to blame for giving him a job.  Joe Kinnear can't be blamed for being the Joe Kinnear everyone knows he is.

Same with Pardew, and almost every other appointment Ashley makes....or will ever make.

I know Ashley's clueless about football, which is why I like to keep pointing it out by ridiculing his choice of managerial staff. If Kinnear and Pardew are the answer, then Graham Carr is the wrong question. It's all utterly bizarre.

I know Ashley's clueless about football, which is why I like to keep pointing it out by ridiculing his choice of managerial staff. If Kinnear and Pardew are the answer, then Graham Carr is the wrong question. It's all utterly bizarre.

So would your preference be for 50,000 in the stadium to be chanting "Pardew Out!" every fortnight?

I would see that as needlessly destabilising to the players and other football staff and inviting undue media scrutiny when the owner cannot be trusted to make a football decision if he capitulates to the pressure.

So would your preference be for 50,000 in the stadium to be chanting "Pardew Out!" every fortnight?

I would see that as needlessly destabilising to the players and other football staff and inviting undue media scrutiny when the owner cannot be trusted to make a football decision if he capitulates to the pressure.

I think we missed that boat last season after the successive home thrashings by the SMBs and Liverpool. The Newcastle crowd are a pretty tolerant bunch and I won't slate them for that. Let's see what the mood's like after the next four games, there's going to be some fairly pivotal fixtures there. On the whole though I'm ambivalent about the whole business now. There are times to act and that's down to the owner not the fans. Short acted at Sunderland and he timed it right IMO. Ashley's chosen to carry on with Laurel and Hardy so we might as well stumble on and see what comes of it.

Like any business in the world the buck stops at the CEO who in this case is Mike Ashley. he is the person who makes the strategic decisions and who is culpable for how the company works.

From a financial perspective he is doing mighty well, although some could argue that there is potential for a lot more... But Mike works a particular model and we all know how that works.

From our perspective i.e. the team's performance, it is very random and without consistency. I put that down mainly to the following:

Average manager & coaching staff / Lack of consistent improvement in transfer windows

I don't think Ashley will ever return to a "lifestyle investment" scenario with us and actually look for some egocentric enjoyment out of us, he tried that and got his fingers burn't. We are stuck with a very "low cost" FC model.

I often think that he seems a bit of a gambler and "what if" we made it to top 5 again, would he go the extra mile and gamble 40 mil on us to reach the grassy green fields of the top four???? You know the answer