Alan Pardew

Mike

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/staying-up-is-an-achievement-in-itself-claims-pardew-1-5664670

By MILES STARFORTH

Published on 14/05/2013 09:00

ALAN Pardew’s adamant staying in the Premier League was an achievement in itself for Newcastle United – despite pre-season hopes of a top-four spot.

Pardew’s aim last summer was to again challenge for a Champions League place after last year’s fifth-placed finish.

But the club started the campaign with a squad ill-equipped for the demands of the Europa League.

After Pardew’s squad was decimated by a series of injuries, Newcastle were left battling relegation.

The club finally secured its Premier League status with a 2-1 win over Queens Park Rangers at Loftus Road on Sunday.

It is understood that Pardew – who has come under increasing criticism from supporters in recent weeks – has been given assurances that his job is safe, though there will be a post-season inquest into what has been a dreadful domestic season.

“Our season has been difficult, but we’ve come through it,” Pardew told the Gazette.

“And I don’t care what anybody says, getting over the line with some of the misfortune we’ve had is an achievement.

“We’ve had three cruciate injuries (Ryan Taylor twice and Haris Vuckic) – no other club has had that.

“We missed key players at QPR – (Moussa) Sissoko, Shola Ameobi, Tim Krul and Davide Santon.

“All year we’ve had that, but we still got over the line. That’s the main thing.”

United’s end their season on Sunday with a home game against Arsenal, and Pardew’s just relieved the club’s fans will head to the game safe in the knowledge they will be watching Premier League football next season.

The club could even end the season in 10th place if they beat Arsene Wenger’s side, who face Sunderland’s relegation rivals Wigan Athletic at the Emirates Stadium tonight.

“Our fans can turn up and enjoy it,” he said. “I hope they come in fancy dress and enjoy it.

“Regardless of the score, thank God we’re here next year in the greatest league in the world.”

Twitter: @shieldsgazsport

A lot of people invest heavily in the club, season tickets, merchandise, etc.. It's fair for them to be upset with what they have seen on the pitch. It really pisses me off the way things are with Pardew and all but I do have a life and a family. That doesn't mean I can't come on here and vent about some useless prick destroying the team I love. Saves me kicking the dog once a week!

See if Moyes takes Manyoo in a similar direction to where Pardew has us right now? Then go check their message boards, I can guarantee anything on here will pale in comparison.

Why would anyone be so desperate to come on and tell people who care about something how much you don't care about it anymore?

Who gives a fuck?

Surprising attempt at taking the moral high ground from somebody who once went on Look North to plead for Hitzfeld to come and manage us. Maybe that's why he's so desperate to show how cool he is these days. Bit sad really.

:lol:

The Hitzfeld campaign was a far cry from these Pardew threads. We (the general N-O folk) weren't happy at the thought of getting another Souness type charlatan but instead of sitting on here every day and crying about it, some of the folk (led by the admin) actually did something proactive, rather than sit on our hands for FFS to make his next mistake.

I'm not sure what being "cool" has to do with any of this - it's a football forum filled with many middle aged blokes like yourself. Hardly the core audience of cool. :lol:

Presumably your post* was an attempt to counter-WUM because you've lazily attributed my comment to WUMmery (© Interpolic, Billytray). Top bombing :thup:

*seeing as how you've misread the point I made and portrayed it as something completely different

Guest bimpy474

This place is going to be very quiet next season if he does stay. Lots of people not watching/going to games.

As much as hate the blokes football, if we play good football then i'd gladly be called all the names under the sun for doubting Pardew.

The team comes first and always will.

There is one thing Pardew managed to achieve.

Lowered expectation.  Significantly.

Fucking dodgy salesman.

Strange thing to say after finishing 5th. How has he lowered expectations? Nobody believes anything he says do they?

Turgid, negative, long ball, defensive, all these have been used to describe our team.

Most accurate would be, 'boring as fuck'

If our own fans find our own team sleep inducing.  I wonder what the neutrals feel when they got to watch this shower.

“I hope they come in fancy dress and enjoy it.

“Regardless of the score, thank God we’re here next year in the greatest league in the world.”

He never said that, I refuse to believe it. Nah.

f***ing dodgy salesman.

Strange thing to say after finishing 5th. How has he lowered expectations? Nobody believes anything he says do they?

Yes look at this typical ian w response. Like he doesn't know the answer to his own question.

What about all the chances the opposition miss? How many good chances did Liverpool spurn when they stuck 6 past us? Should they blame their players for it not being 10?

Chances are missed. That's football. If you create enough GOOD ones, you'll probably win. But of all our shots last season, only 4% were in the 6 yard box. Four fucking percent. The joint worst record in the whole league.

Been looking into this.  I thought 4 % was awful.  I compared it with previous seasons.  12% in 10/11. 6% in 11/12. Very damning of Pardew.

But then, how did we manage so many shots within 6 yards back then?  We pumped balls into Carroll, and he knocked them down for people to follow up at close range.  It's the same tactic that Allardyce is using at West Ham now....and they sit top of the chart for "shots from within the 6 yard box" this year.  I don't think Allardyce's brand of football is particularly easy on the eye.

Then you can compare us to Spurs.  People are very impressed with Villas Boas this year, aren't they?  But they manage a similarly paltry 5% of THEIR shots from within 6 yards. You might think that means they just create more within the 18 yard box, but no.....we take 50% of shots from outside of the box...they take 55% of theirs from outside the box.

Might be a Giggs, but assuming Wigan go down,  he would start the season as the 3rd longest serving manager in the league.

could be 2nd tbh could see Stoke and Pulis parting ways

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_Football_League_managers

He's currently 16th on the list of long serving managers in English Football. Will go up to 14th once Fergie and Moyes officially leave.  Only 34 current managers have been in place more than 1 year, only 21 over 2 years.

Stability is a myth, Ferguson achieved what he did over time because he was an excellent manager and bought/developed brilliant players, he was also employed at a time where clubs generally gave the manager 4-5 seasons at least, the financial rewards were not so great and therefore the cost of a bad season or two was not really as drastic as it is now. Many Arsenal fans would insist that Wenger has long overstayed his welcome and is now actively holding the club back.

If you look at the list of managers with more than 4 years service, how many have actually achieved anything other than not completely destroying their club. All of them, to me, have the distinct whiff of a club accepting mediocrity over success. Something we should never accept, but something Mike and his team of cash counters will be delighted with.

What about all the chances the opposition miss? How many good chances did Liverpool spurn when they stuck 6 past us? Should they blame their players for it not being 10?

Chances are missed. That's football. If you create enough GOOD ones, you'll probably win. But of all our shots last season, only 4% were in the 6 yard box. Four f***ing percent. The joint worst record in the whole league.

Been looking into this.  I thought 4 % was awful.  I compared it with previous seasons.  12% in 10/11. 6% in 11/12. Very damning of Pardew.

But then, how did we manage so many shots within 6 yards back then?  We pumped balls into Carroll, and he knocked them down for people to follow up at close range.  It's the same tactic that Allardyce is using at West Ham now....and they sit top of the chart for "shots from within the 6 yard box" this year.  I don't think Allardyce's brand of football is particularly easy on the eye.

Then you can compare us to Spurs.  People are very impressed with Villas Boas this year, aren't they?  But they manage a similarly paltry 5% of THEIR shots from within 6 yards. You might think that means they just create more within the 18 yard box, but no.....we take 50% of shots from outside of the box...they take 55% of theirs from outside the box.

Dreary me  :fool:

Guest neesy111

Might be a Giggs, but assuming Wigan go down,  he would start the season as the 3rd longest serving manager in the league.

could be 2nd tbh could see Stoke and Pulis parting ways

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_Football_League_managers

He's currently 16th on the list of long serving managers in English Football. Will go up to 14th once Fergie and Moyes officially leave.  Only 34 current managers have been in place more than 1 year, only 21 over 2 years.

Stability is a myth, Ferguson achieved what he did over time because he was an excellent manager and bought/developed brilliant players, he was also employed at a time where clubs generally gave the manager 4-5 seasons at least, the financial rewards were not so great and therefore the cost of a bad season or two was not really as drastic as it is now. Many Arsenal fans would insist that Wenger has long overstayed his welcome and is now actively holding the club back.

If you look at the list of managers with more than 4 years service, how many have actually achieved anything other than not completely destroying their club. All of them, to me, have the distinct whiff of a club accepting mediocrity over success. Something we should never accept, but something Mike and his team of cash counters will be delighted with.

Good post Colin.

f***ing dodgy salesman.

Yes look at this typical ian w response. Like he doesn't know the answer to his own question.

Thanks, that clears it up.

Guess if he's not leaving I'll just have to get behind him and hope he learns from his mistakes. There has been in some of his quotes recently to suggest he might have done. Either way, I'll be absolutely flabbergasted if we're sitting 17th after 36 games last season.

“Our fans can turn up and enjoy it,” he said. “I hope they come in fancy dress and enjoy it.

Ah, choices, choices, choices.

Executioner, Death, Judge, Mafioso, Roman Emperor with massive thumb...

He's not saying that, though, is he? Isn't more of retort to the whole 'woe is me, my life can't possibly go on' comments that we're subjected to an a daily basis?

I'd put it down to people being a bit more emotional towards the club than others.  At least they're not just some part-time posters who have just come back again after everything has turned out OK to try and wind people up.

I've not agreed with much that you've said in the various threads but at least you have been present battling in your corner and at least arguing your case, not just turning up to belittle people.

Spot on.

He's not saying that, though, is he? Isn't more of retort to the whole 'woe is me, my life can't possibly go on' comments that we're subjected to an a daily basis?

I'd put it down to people being a bit more emotional towards the club than others.  At least they're not just some part-time posters who have just come back again after everything has turned out OK to try and wind people up.

I've not agreed with much that you've said in the various threads but at least you have been present battling in your corner and at least arguing your case, not just turning up to belittle people.

#SOOPAFANPOSTER

These people aren't genuine - if they are, then they need to seek urgent professional advice. You'd have thought we'd been relegated with the way they're posting. It's not been pretty, it's not been as straightforward as it should have been, but it's done now.

If you're genuinely angry or wanting to do something about the situation, then go and help out KI and his "fruitless protest" at the weekend. If you're not able to do that, then chip in with the other sensible idea in that thread of putting the failings that you've seen all season into words and figures that can be distributed to the media/club/fans.

Do something proactive about the club you love, or do something else. All this negativity must be ruining your mood.

Guest neesy111

Guess if he's not leaving I'll just have to get behind him and hope he learns from his mistakes. There has been in some of his quotes recently to suggest he might have done. Either way, I'll be absolutely flabbergasted if we're sitting 17th after 36 games last season.

Next Season.