Alan Pardew

Mike

Got a lot more right today than he has before but still, Aston Villa looked absolutely horrible and without Bentekes hold up play they'd be nowhere. Cisse didn't really help Pardew though.

I thought we made them look horrible and he deserves some credit for that.

Oh absolutely, I'm not taking anything away from the team, I'm just saying it's a step in the right direction but we're nowhere near the level we should be at.

What level are you expecting of this squad?

From this squad? Considering we have better players than the season we finished 5th I'd say realistically top 9. Competing with Everton behind the top 6-7 clubs.

And you think we are nowhere near that level (finishing 7-9th) this season? I don't think we're that far off really, and the thing that would stop us getting there is not Pardew imho, but similar to last year, injuries hitting the first team.

Absolute travesty we couldn't get a few more players in over the summer.

Football is a fickle game. Beating Fulham at home with a last minute goal and then another late winner to Villa shows improvement it doesn't show much more than that at the moment. I don't see us as a top 8 team at the moment. I think we still lack a bit and rely to much on Ben Arfa. Maybe I'm just hard to please, but people are getting way ahead of themselves.

With that said we definitely have a squad capable of a top 8 finish.

Form since we got the new players in January:

WWLWLWLLWLDLDWL  LDWW

8 wins, 3 draws, 8 defeats

These players have shown top 8 form for the eqivalent of half a season now. With Remy, a fit Ben Arfa and Coloccini, and the likes of Debuchy, Mbiwa, and Anita having improved a great deal since January, we should look a decent side, if a little light up front.

Is 8 wins and 8 defeats really top 8 form?

27 points from 19 games? 54 points comfortably gets you 8th place the last 3 seasons.

Wowser, that's stunned me..well in that case I reckon top 6 should be the aim...I'd want more than 50% but I'm greedy and a tad unrealistic I guess  :lol:

Mick is pretty much spot on there. Pardew's hand has been forced and it's worked, but I really don't think he's suddenly developed some tactical algorithm after 2 years that blows everything else he's produced out of the water. He'll probably ride the crest of this wave of form and revert to type. Why do I say that? Because it's what he's done before.

There's been relevant mitigating factors people are happy to ignore so it's a pointless debate.

Some people are almost upset he might be on his way to proving them wrong. Bitter-sweet for the boo boys...

That's absolute horseshit. I think the first people to criticize Pardew would also be the first ones to love seeing him succeed. But I'm with Mick, he got forced to play this team and we looked better. Still doesn't take away the fact he started Shola last week.

Got a lot more right today than he has before but still, Aston Villa looked absolutely horrible and without Bentekes hold up play they'd be nowhere. Cisse didn't really help Pardew though.

Oh absolutely, I'm not taking anything away from the team, I'm just saying it's a step in the right direction but we're nowhere near the level we should be at.

From this squad? Considering we have better players than the season we finished 5th I'd say realistically top 9. Competing with Everton behind the top 6-7 clubs.

And you think we are nowhere near that level (finishing 7-9th) this season? I don't think we're that far off really, and the thing that would stop us getting there is not Pardew imho, but similar to last year, injuries hitting the first team.

Football is a fickle game. Beating Fulham at home with a last minute goal and then another late winner to Villa shows improvement it doesn't show much more than that at the moment. I don't see us as a top 8 team at the moment. I think we still lack a bit and rely to much on Ben Arfa. Maybe I'm just hard to please, but people are getting way ahead of themselves.

WWLWLWLLWLDLDWL  LDWW

These players have shown top 8 form for the eqivalent of half a season now. With Remy, a fit Ben Arfa and Coloccini, and the likes of Debuchy, Mbiwa, and Anita having improved a great deal since January, we should look a decent side, if a little light up front.

27 points from 19 games? 54 points comfortably gets you 8th place the last 3 seasons.

Wowser, that's stunned me..well in that case I reckon top 6 should be the aim...I'd want more than 50% but I'm greedy and a tad unrealistic I guess  :lol:

:thup: :lol:

Mick is pretty much spot on there. Pardew's hand has been forced and it's worked, but I really don't think he's suddenly developed some tactical algorithm after 2 years that blows everything else he's produced out of the water. He'll probably ride the crest of this wave of form and revert to type. Why do I say that? Because it's what he's done before.

There's been relevant mitigating factors people are happy to ignore so it's a pointless debate.

Some people are almost upset he might be on his way to proving them wrong. Bitter-sweet for the boo boys...

You're ignoring possible relevant mitigating factors now, ie Jonas' fitness.

Guest Haris Vuckic

That's absolute horseshit. I think the first people to criticize Pardew would also be the first ones to love seeing him succeed. But I'm with Mick, he got forced to play this team and we looked better. Still doesn't take away the fact he started Shola last week.

Team selection is second to system and it was the systems in place that won the game. It isn't as simple as hoying you're best players on and hasn't been for about 50 years.

Managing is a hard job at any level and for most of his time at Newcastle he's done his job with his hands tied behind his back.

If you want to believe it was all a glorious accident - like finishing 5th :bluestar: then go ahead.

He wasn't 'forced' to play any team. Utter nonsense as per.

He selected a team that nullified Villa and played some good stuff. Nothing ground-breaking but he and the team deserve credit.

Where as him being utterly sh*te for 99% of last season didn't prove you wrong at all. Yeah right...

Guest Haris Vuckic

It's just speculation though isn't it.

That said having to defend the manager when he's got his tactics, selection & formation 100% spot on feels a little silly.

He selected a team that nullified Villa and played some good stuff. Nothing ground-breaking but he and the team deserve credit.

Tell me this, if Jonas wasn't injured would he have played Jonas or not? I bet you even Shola would've started had he been fit.

As for Haris Vukcic post above,

I'm on the other side of your argument and won't really discuss it you now. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Where as him being utterly sh*te for 99% of last season didn't prove you wrong at all. Yeah right...

If you are so stupid as to ignore the other factors that's your issue. I never said he didn't under perform but if he's a lame manager then last year he had his crutch kicked from under him.

A lot of people are just hysterical idiots though...

That said having to defend the manager when he's got his tactics, selection & formation 100% spot on feels a little silly.

So you sincerely believe beating Villa 2-1 away is a 100% spot on performance? We were even pushed back quite a bit in the 2nd half tbh.

If you are so stupid as to ignore the other factors that's you're issue. I never said he didn't under perform but if he's a lame manager then last year he had his crutch kicked from under him.

Calling other idiots :lol:

Guest Haris Vuckic

So you sincerely believe beating Villa 2-1 away is a 100% spot on performance? We were even pushed back quite a bit in the 2nd half tbh.

Fancy a football team - away from home - getting pushed back. :lol:

You must be the kind of guy that plays champ manager with the cheats on.

We were good for 20 mins against Fulham and for 70 mins today. Do you mind if we see a more games before we start fellating him? Because, tbf, i did give it 10 games or so last season before i said he was having a mare.

So probs fair to say that if we put in another 8 good performances (we can let the first 70 mins against Fulham go) we can say he looks like he's having a better season.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest Haris Vuckic

If you are so stupid as to ignore the other factors that's you're issue. I never said he didn't under perform but if he's a lame manager then last year he had his crutch kicked from under him.

Calling other idiots :lol:

I think I've hit the nail on the head concerning your good self Sir. ;)

If you are so stupid as to ignore the other factors that's your issue. I never said he didn't under perform but if he's a lame manager then last year he had his crutch kicked from under him.

Yep, and tbh, your jumping around because we beat Villa marks you out as one of them.

Tell me this, if Jonas wasn't injured would he have played Jonas or not? I bet you even Shola would've started had he been fit.

I'm on the other side of your argument and won't really discuss it you now. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I'd guess he probably wouldn't have played Jonas. I am not 100% sure, but I'm not going to criticise Pardew for an imaginary scenario in my bonce.

He's made positive selections in the last two matches. If you wish to focus on negative ifs and buts, fair enough, but please be aware that your patter is highly depressing.

Way to overlook the fact that I was referring to your 100% spot on performance we had today. As for the 2nd part :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd guess he probably wouldn't have played Jonas. I am not 100% sure, but I'm not going to criticise Pardew for an imaginary scenario in my bonce.

He's made positive selections in the last two matches. If you wish to focus on negative ifs and buts, fair enough, but please be aware that your patter is highly depressing.

I gave him credit for today, I'm just questioning some people on here for thinking it was a perfect perfomance by us. We won, and I'm happy as fuck we got the three points.

Team selection is second to system and it was the systems in place that won the game. It isn't as simple as hoying you're best players on and hasn't been for about 50 years.

Managing is a hard job at any level and for most of his time at Newcastle he's done his job with his hands tied behind his back.

If you want to believe it was all a glorious accident - like finishing 5th :bluestar: then go ahead.

What a load of bollocks, team selection isn't 2nd to system, they go hand in hand.  Put Tiote in for Anita and you lose the forward playing midfielder who probably didn't put a pass wrong and I can't remember him playing a negative ball all game.  Put Taylor in that defence and you introduce the possibility of a calamity every time he's brought into play instead of the assured performance from M'Biwa, swap Jonas for Remy and the game is totally different.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Way to overlook the fact that I was referring to your 100% spot on performance we had today. As for the 2nd part :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok so perhaps I was a little hyperbolic but that seems to be par for the course where Mr.Pardew is concerned.

WWLWLWLLWLDLDWL  LDWW

Indeed, and Robson got us 5th place in 2004 with just 56 points.