Alan Pardew

Mike

Sounds like he'll be going back to basics for the next game. Fine by me, he can't coach us into an attacking style of football. Look to keep it tight against Cardiff and pick them out on the break with our pace. Remy and Ben Arfa either side of Cisse/Gouffran, please.

This post is utter lunacy like. Every time I see him attempt to "keep it tight" from the start of a game, that's when we get f***ed up the arse, like tonight. Shifting Ben Arfa because he's scared of their full back, that's what he thinks "keeping it tight" is, completely f***ing up your own game because of fear.

Staggering that you think he has "shown how to construct a back four" - taking one over from another manager that has been playing together for years does not count as "constructing". He has shown only that he's totally incompetent at putting together a new unit.

Utter lunacy? You're so sanctimonious :lol:

It was highlighted tonight that our defence didn't keep tight, at all. The full backs were too far forward and there were massive gaps in our back line because of that. If we defend like that against teams like Everton, we'll get done. Agreed on Ben Arfa, I wasn't happy about that.

As if he can't get credit for getting 15 clean sheets either. Have a word.

I never said they kept it tight did I? He tried though, in the same way he tried when he left HBA and Gouffran out against Liverpool last season. His idea of "keeping it tight" is "don't attack, in case you lose your position, and hit the ball far away from our goal"

I never said anything either about not getting "credit for 15 clean sheets" - what I've said for a long time is that he is totally incapable of coaching a new defense into a cohesive unit. Citing statistics of a back four that had been mainly "constructed" by somebody else - your word, not mine, you give credit for constructing a house to the guy who built it, not the bloke who moved in afterwards and changed the lightbulbs.

Did he even try to keep it tight though? Or was he trying to be clever? Because the players seemed to play the exact opposite of a side looking to be compact. They either flat out ignored him or his definition of 'tight' defending has dramatically shifted in the last two years.

Fair enough, he'd pretty much inherited them but he seemed to understand their limitations and moulded our play around that. It's not a case of he doesn't know how to structure a new defence, in my opinion, he just has no clue how to do it with players that have more to their game than simply being able to defend. Unfortunately, the club's structure means we'll probably never see someone come in that can make a successful system with the personnel we've got.

I suspect the idea you and I have of keeping it tight is very different to Alan Pardew's. The first thing I would be wanting the players to do if I wanted to keep it tight is press high up the pitch whereas when we play any decent side, Everton, Liverpool, Man City (about four times in a row now, exactly the same against that lot), the players always go out and start exactly the same way - stand off, stand off, stand off. Then he seems shocked when they destroy us given the total freedom of the park.

It serves little purpose trying to decipher what he's thinking game to game, I don't think he has the slightest fucking idea himself tbh.

Fucking despise this cretin.

Plays HBA on the left wing in a 4-4-2 then hauls him off because his shit tactics failed miserably.  Then he subs Anita aswell who was the only player who was decent on the ball and atually looked up before picking a pass.

CUNT.

Guest neesy111

Seriously, who the fuck is going to come into this mess of a club we have at the moment.  I can't see a way out of this spiral we are in at the moment.

Seriously, who the f*** is going to come into this mess of a club we have at the moment.  I can't see a way out of this spiral we are in at the moment.

I still think we underestimate the pull this club has, even at this stage.

The real issue is Ashley doesn't have a clue and furthermore doesn't even want to bring in an half decent manager.

If the job were available i'm sure quite a few decent managers would apply for the job.

Sounds like he'll be going back to basics for the next game. Fine by me, he can't coach us into an attacking style of football. Look to keep it tight against Cardiff and pick them out on the break with our pace. Remy and Ben Arfa either side of Cisse/Gouffran, please.

This post is utter lunacy like. Every time I see him attempt to "keep it tight" from the start of a game, that's when we get f***ed up the arse, like tonight. Shifting Ben Arfa because he's scared of their full back, that's what he thinks "keeping it tight" is, completely f***ing up your own game because of fear.

Staggering that you think he has "shown how to construct a back four" - taking one over from another manager that has been playing together for years does not count as "constructing". He has shown only that he's totally incompetent at putting together a new unit.

Utter lunacy? You're so sanctimonious :lol:

It was highlighted tonight that our defence didn't keep tight, at all. The full backs were too far forward and there were massive gaps in our back line because of that. If we defend like that against teams like Everton, we'll get done. Agreed on Ben Arfa, I wasn't happy about that.

As if he can't get credit for getting 15 clean sheets either. Have a word.

I never said they kept it tight did I? He tried though, in the same way he tried when he left HBA and Gouffran out against Liverpool last season. His idea of "keeping it tight" is "don't attack, in case you lose your position, and hit the ball far away from our goal"

I never said anything either about not getting "credit for 15 clean sheets" - what I've said for a long time is that he is totally incapable of coaching a new defense into a cohesive unit. Citing statistics of a back four that had been mainly "constructed" by somebody else - your word, not mine, you give credit for constructing a house to the guy who built it, not the bloke who moved in afterwards and changed the lightbulbs.

Did he even try to keep it tight though? Or was he trying to be clever? Because the players seemed to play the exact opposite of a side looking to be compact. They either flat out ignored him or his definition of 'tight' defending has dramatically shifted in the last two years.

Fair enough, he'd pretty much inherited them but he seemed to understand their limitations and moulded our play around that. It's not a case of he doesn't know how to structure a new defence, in my opinion, he just has no clue how to do it with players that have more to their game than simply being able to defend. Unfortunately, the club's structure means we'll probably never see someone come in that can make a successful system with the personnel we've got.

I suspect the idea you and I have of keeping it tight is very different to Alan Pardew's. The first thing I would be wanting the players to do if I wanted to keep it tight is press high up the pitch whereas when we play any decent side, Everton, Liverpool, Man City (about four times in a row now, exactly the same against that lot), the players always go out and start exactly the same way - stand off, stand off, stand off. Then he seems shocked when they destroy us given the total freedom of the park.

It serves little purpose trying to decipher what he's thinking game to game, I don't think he has the slightest f***ing idea himself tbh.

Certainly agree with pressing, tonight reminded me of Swansea away last season. We sat off and weren't getting a kick until we actually tried to stop them playing.

I just think there's only one way that Pardew knows how to defend and that's by having a narrow back 4 who pretty much play in a straight line. He's seemingly tried to adjust that since Debuchy arrived and we've often looked porous, with massive gaps all over the pitch. I don't think it's a coincidence that our best form under him came while we had a completely unadventurous back four and I wouldn't be averse to him going back to that on Saturday as I think that's our best shot at getting a result.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2013/09/27/aston-villa-man-city-and-the-fascinating-polorisation-of-clean-sheet-statistics-270902/

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Villa-clean-sheets.jpg

Basically, when we concede, we concede 2.48 goals on average (that was before tonight, so more than that now), far more (relatively) than anybody else. Man City are second, but they top the clean sheet table, whilst we're in the bottom half.

15 clean sheets, nearly two seasons ago, i think we can say there's been a pattern in the last 60 games to say that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

88 conceded in the last 50 league games.

Yep as i've been saying for ages our defending is awful. That season, 5th, 15 clean sheets really is a one off season from Pardew. Amazed some still dont accept it yet, and how come the so called experts in the media haven't picked up on it. I would have thought that kind of long term goals against would set alarms bells ringing.

During that season, Colo had probably his best ever season for us and it was mainly down to him that we looked a more secure unit at the back ; since then, he has had well-documented problems off the field, probably wishes he wasn't here and has advanced in age by a couple of years which is crucial for a defender reaching his stage of career. I thought he was responsible for the third goal last night(although Krul was probably almost as guilty)and he isn't going to get any better as he gets older because he is not the quickest of CBs anyway.

Pardew just got lucky with Colo in that 5th place season and his style of play is directly responsible for inviting pressure on to our back 4.

Guy was manger of the year. Manager of the YEAR. :lol:

DOUBLE manager of the year.

How many times, before OR since, has he even achieved manager of the month, let alone manager of the year.

WHU, Charlton, Southampton, NUFC....and counting...

TBF he does seem pretty down in the interview. I think he knows the chop is near if he can't sort that defence out.

If he loses the next 3 games - highly possible if not probable, on last night's showing, he will be on his bike ; the fact that Ashley bothered to turn up at Everton tells you that....

How many times during the last two seasons of this man's tenure have we come out for a half look confused, scared, and completely lacking a plan? Tonight was the same as Manchester City. We were lost and looked likely to concede from the first minute of the match. I am not even exaggerating this. In both matches we nearly conceded within one minute and managed to finally concede within five. How often do you see this happen at this level? How many games have we played well for a half only to capitulate in the same scared manner?

The players seem to like him anyway. I feel like he would have been sacked if we hadn't fought back in that second half. Much more so than after Liverpool or Sunderland. Maybe they just have some personal pride. I really don't understand how it has gotten to this point.

team morale and self belief must be through the floor with this bloke in charge. feels exactly like the Allardyce days where we'd lost the match before we'd even set foot on the pitch, then using negative tactics to 'contain' teams. he should have been given the bullet last season after the Reading game, he's had way too long a stay of execution. he's not 'turning it around' and he doesn't seem to be motivating the players anymore