Alan Pardew

Mike

I kinda agree with him. The Europa League is largely a burden. You get f*cked over with a stupid league format. You get f*cked over with pittance money pot. Then you get royally bum-f*cked by the utter scandal that is Champs League drop-outs.

The last of those three is the real killer for me. The EL is a joke. How I missed the UEFA Cup.

If they are introducing automatic CL places for the winner, than the inclusion of CL winners makes much more sense. The tournament seems in something of a transistionary stage, imo. When the pots are increased and the lure of CL qualification sits at the end, the tournament should be more competitive and interesting.

Europa League has no prestige unlike the UEFA Cup had, they need to do away with allowing those that finish 3rd in their Champions league groups dropping down into it for starters.

Make both competitions the same, groups of four teams top two proceed bottom two go out.

Alan Pardew: Good run traces back to home truth session at Goodison Park

2 Dec 2013 07:21

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew indicates United players have all pulled together since woeful first half on Merseyside

Share on print Share on email

Alan Pardew has revealed home truths in the visitors’ dressing room at Goodison Park are the real reason behind Newcastle United’s successful season so far.

Pardew was fuming that night after fans chanted: “We want our money back” and the moment could well be a major turning point in the season.

The Magpies’ boss still maintains his team did not play badly against Sunderland in the Tyne-Wear derby defeat on Wearside.

He feels the foundations were laid for his team’s four-game winning streak on Merseyside two months ago.

The victory over West Brom fired United up the Premier League table and put Pardew in the box seat for the November Manager of the Month Award, which he will pick up later this week if his 100% record is deemed good enough to win an honour he has claimed only his once before in his managerial career - at West Ham.

When asked what the secret of Uniteds success was this term, he said: “Since the second half against Everton we looked at ourselves and said: ‘come on this is not us’. We had difficulties last year with injuries and the Europa League. We are together this year and we are ready. We said: ‘Let’s go – come on, let’s not make the errors we are making.’

“We won the second half against Everton and since that moment we have been very strong.”

United are now in their best run of form since April 2012, when Pardew led his side to Europe and went on to pick up both the LMA and Premier League Manager of the Year awards.

After his latest triumph, he added: “I genuinely sensed in the dressing room they believed they were going to win.

“Of course, the effort you have to have to put in to win in the Premier League was there for everyone to see. Our two wide guys must have done 12 and half kilometres – no problem.

“They were outstanding and that shape and resilience is getting us results.”

United now take their winning streak to Swansea City on Wednesday night.

When asked how long the winning run could go on for, Pardew said: “I don’t know.

“We have a tough game on Wednesday against Swansea. They are a good side.”

“I think it is difficult to win, especially against teams you are expected to win against. They are the most difficult.”

Pardew’s best sequence of wins was six on the trot at the end of the 2011/12 season.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alan-pardew-good-run-traces-6360123

Europa League has no prestige unlike the UEFA Cup had, they need to do away with allowing those that finish 3rd in their Champions league groups dropping down into it for starters.

Make both competitions the same, groups of four teams top two proceed bottom two go out.

The Europa should be a straight knockout competition over 2 legs.  No groups at all.

Guest firetotheworks

I agree with his point like. Personally I'd scrap the europa and increase the number of teams in the CL, though.

the entire european footballing world is crying out for a euro knockout tournament again, how can't UEFA see it?  you'd imagine it'd generate much more interest in the tournament and thus more money for the pricks as well

no seeds and bollocks, luck of the draw, er, draw and they're onto a total winner

pardew on the money about time between games actually, the moaning cunt :lol:

But if we won the league, why would it matter if he played negative football? (which we're not at the moment)

We WON'T win the league - either by playing negative football or like Brazil 70...we haven't got enough quality or, especially, strength in depth to do it and we won't ever have under this regime/manager.

The original point made was that they wouldn't care if we won every game for the rest of the season - doing that would mean Champions League and probably winning the league. O.N was replying to that scenario because obviously if we won the league who the f*** would care how we won it?

As Brian Clough once said - 'If your Aunt had b---s, she'd be your uncle'...she hasn't, won't have, and therefore its not worth talking about.

Could they not just play UEFA Cup games on a Wendesday with the Champions League?

The money in football comes from TV stations that want football on every night of the week and 3 times a day at weekends, not concentrated on one day with one kick off time.

Finish top 6 and I'd settle for that but we could really go places as a team, with the players we have.

Just 'settle' for top 6. Absolute loon. Our team is nowhere near the likes of any in the top 6. I'd snap their hands off for a swap with any of them.

You also said Pardew only knows 4-4-2 yet for the second half of the season we finished fifth we were excellent in the 4-3-3. We were excellent in that formation against Villa earlier this year too. He's went back to 4-4-2 simply because players underperformed for him and switched things around and it's since been working. We are very adaptable and have players to play in different formations. Right now 4-4-2 is our best working formation and yes it's Pardew's most favourable but that's not to say he can't do any other.

He deserves credit for his judgement on Sissoko. A lot thought he was trying to fit triangles in square holes by playing him out wide but he’s proved very effective and has grown in the position. I never thought he had it to play consistently well in that position but I was wrong and I credit Pardew for that, along with Sissoko for knuckling down in that position and giving it his all.

Our team is nowhere near the likes of any in the top 6. I'd snap their hands off for a swap with any of them.

what?  by this i assume you mean the "established" top 6 and not everton, southampton and so on...

our first team plus 2-3 others is fucking excellent man

Our team is nowhere near the likes of any in the top 6. I'd snap their hands off for a swap with any of them.

what?  by this i assume you mean the "established" top 6 and not everton, southampton and so on...

our first team plus 2-3 others is f***ing excellent man

I'd happily swap Man City/Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool squads for ours. Wouldn't even think twice. Simple. Yet HTT would only 'settle' for us bumping one of them out the top 6 this season. Staggering :lol:

Yes we've got a good squad, i've massively built up this squad more than the majority on here all along. I said even with Pardew in charge this should be top 8 but a good manager would make the process more comfortable passage but still not get top 6, similar to Everton. We will have more of rocky ride getting there with Pardew but still capable of it and I think we will.

The way things have been going is more like ourselves, we'll hit a poor run of form sooner or later, maybe get a shock defeat somewhere but i'd be confident this group can bounce back. Yet even as positive as I am, we aren't in a position squad wise to think we should be better than any of the established top 6.

When you look at our bench on Sat, our squad is not all that bad anymore. We are just quite unbalanced in terms of players we have in certain areas. A total lack of good wingers being one area and up front being another.

We had Anita, MYM, Ben Arfa, Cisse, Sammy all on bench and I think that's quite strong. Nowhere near what Chelsea etc have but a lot better than any outside of top 6

Guest firetotheworks

But if we won the league, why would it matter if he played negative football? (which we're not at the moment)

We WON'T win the league - either by playing negative football or like Brazil 70...we haven't got enough quality or, especially, strength in depth to do it and we won't ever have under this regime/manager.

The original point made was that they wouldn't care if we won every game for the rest of the season - doing that would mean Champions League and probably winning the league. O.N was replying to that scenario because obviously if we won the league who the f*** would care how we won it?

As Brian Clough once said - 'If your Aunt had b---s, she'd be your uncle'...she hasn't, won't have, and therefore its not worth talking about.

So what the fuck you talking about it for then? :lol: I wouldn't have had to bring it up if you hadn't have talked about it and misunderstood what was going on in the first place.

Finish top 6 and I'd settle for that but we could really go places as a team, with the players we have.

Just 'settle' for top 6. Absolute loon. Our team is nowhere near the likes of any in the top 6. I'd snap their hands off for a swap with any of them.

You also said Pardew only knows 4-4-2 yet for the second half of the season we finished fifth we were excellent in the 4-3-3. We were excellent in that formation against Villa earlier this year too. He's went back to 4-4-2 simply because players underperformed for him and switched things around and it's since been working. We are very adaptable and have players to play in different formations. Right now 4-4-2 is our best working formation and yes it's Pardew's most favourable but that's not to say he can't do any other.

He deserves credit for his judgement on Sissoko. A lot thought he was trying to fit triangles in square holes by playing him out wide but he’s proved very effective and has grown in the position. I never thought he had it to play consistently well in that position but I was wrong and I credit Pardew for that, along with Sissoko for knuckling down in that position and giving it his all.

It was 5 games or something man.

It's not the point, he has the variation to play and win matches with it (4-3-3) if he deems that's our best chance of winning. Right now, it's not. 4-4-2 is rightly being accomodated and this should look to be a strength that we are versaitile and not one dimentional.

we aren't in a position squad wise to think we should be better than any of the established top 6.

madness to think otherwise, saw f***ing rodgers was bemoaning the size of his squad after getting beat :lol:

cheeky blobfish

Yes, and it was a disgrace and quite frankly laughable. Sturridge gets injured so he brings in Moses, hardly the worst scenario in the world. Then he's got Coutinho sitting on his bench when needed, albeit he may have been carrying a knock (i think). He signed Aspas, hardly been given a chance, he's got his 20 million pound Allen on the bench. Got for me one of the best CB's in the league in Agger also bench warming along with Sakho. He has no right to bemoan his squad.

He wasn't complaing when Suarez was banned earlier in the season but they were winning matches. Suddenly he gets a sour result and they haven’t won in a couple of games and he’s blaming the size of the squad.

Hypothetical question.

If a new manager "Fred" came in at the start of the season. Did what Pardew did. Said what Pardew said. Setup the team to play like Pardew has, etc

Wonder how he would be judged.

(Still dislike Pardew, but just wondering)

It's not the point, he has the variation to play and win matches with it (4-3-3) if he deems that's our best chance of winning. Right now, it's not. 4-4-2 is rightly being accomodated and this should look to be a strength that we are versaitile and not one dimentional.

It is the point if you're using something that's completely inaccurate to prove a point.