QPR vs Newcastle Utd - 12/05/13 @ 3pm (No TV) - a win confirms safety

TaylorJ_01
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

I'm pretty confident we can get something based on yesterday's performance but we should just avoid throwing the kitchen sink from the first minute. By that I mean overcommitting ourselves and leaving spaces at the back for counterattacking teams to exploit. We have to keep our shape and hopefully Cissé or Ben Arfa can deliver a bit of magic. It would also help to have Sissoko and Marveaux (probably Obertan ?) as backup  once we run out of steam and spaces start to open up

Defeat for sure. I just don't trust the team to get anything not least because we've been average at best in all our away games. The team is not playing together the players are not united. It's easy to see when players are playing for each other just look at Villa and how they're playing now and Wigan too.

To be entirely honest, we have been playing well for longer than our results suggest. I think we've won 5, drawn 1 and lost 2 of our last eight games, which is good, but the decent performances go a fair way further back than that.

We've also been massively, massively helped by the return to form of Agbonlahor. I read yesterday that we have started with a front three of Agbonlahor, Benteke and Weimann in 10 matches, in which the three of them scored 20 goals.

Basically, what is happening now is we are scoring goals ok, but we are still defending with massive fragility. It's almost "have to go for it because we'll concede, we just need to score more than we concede".

I am pretty sure that our last clean sheet was something nuts like 19 league matches ago.

We are still not safe, though, and that clean sheet problem is the major reason why.

The current table is utterly nuts if you look at how many teams are not safe yet, and plenty of them are playing badly.

I honestly think you have got to take three points from this game. If you do that, then you're absolutely safe. Maybe being away rather than home will also help you, in the sense of nerves being less of a problem.

I'm pretty confident we can get something based on yesterday's performance but we should just avoid throwing the kitchen sink from the first minute. By that I mean overcommitting ourselves and leaving spaces at the back for counterattacking teams to exploit. We have to keep our shape and hopefully Cissé or Ben Arfa can deliver a bit of magic. It would also help to have Sissoko and Marveaux (probably Obertan ?) as backup  once we run out of steam and spaces start to open up

I would agree with that.

If we aren't ahead by the last 20 tho, its time to throw the sink.

Depending on Hatem's fitness I'd rather he came on at HT than start and come off before 65 minutes. Need to be finishing games more strongly.

Have him come on at like 30 minutes :lol:

Depending on Hatem's fitness I'd rather he came on at HT than start and come off before 65 minutes. Need to be finishing games more strongly.

I'm inclined to agree if it's one or the other.  Didn't look like he needed to come off yesterday to me though.

Agree with this. We absolutely have to enter this game with some form of game plan. And by that, I mean an alternative plan to getting through the first half and hanging on as best we can, type of game plan.

I'm completely shitting it already for this game. I just can't foresee a NUFC win.

Not when you consider what we had on the bench to improve the situation. :lol:

Exactly.  Incredible to take both him and Gouffran off, we suddenly became toothless and looked like we might concede when we'd looked the better side prior to that.

Hopefully QPR play this game in a half-arsed friendly-like manner.  Although with it being the last home game of the season for them, I doubt that  :undecided:

I'd prefer he was on from the start to be honest and just hope he can help put the game to bed before Pardew decides his legs are going to fall off. I'd prefer it if he was up to speed with the rest of the side rather than coming on strong as others are fading, which is one negative of him coming on 2nd half.

I'd prefer he was on from the start to be honest and just hope he can help put the game to bed before Pardew decides his legs are going to fall off. I'd prefer it if he was up to speed with the rest of the side rather than coming on strong as others are fading, which is one negative of him coming on 2nd half.

15 Minutes of HBA at the end, running at their knackered defenders may be the difference. It may be enough on its own.

Hopefully QPR play this game in a half-arsed friendly-like manner.  Although with it being the last home game of the season for them, I doubt that  :undecided:

Thing is, if they try to win instead of 'compete' as they did yesterday they'll more than likely do what they've been doing all season - leak goals and look shite, even against our lot.

15 Minutes of HBA at the end, running at their knackered defenders may be the difference. It may be enough on its own.

I'd rather 90 minutes of Ben Arfa running at their defence tbh, no way I want to see him coming on in the 75th minute. I'd genuinely consider slashing Pardew's wife if that was the case.

I'd rather 90 minutes of Ben Arfa running at their defence tbh, no way I want to see him coming on in the 75th minute. I'd genuinely consider slashing Pardew's wife if that was the case.

And if the little fat bastard has a shocker or is man marked throughout?

He's clearly not fit, so I'd prefer to bring him into the game when he's not competing with their lot at 100%, towards the end when they're knackered.

He's clearly not fit, so I'd prefer to bring him into the game when he's not competing with their lot at 100%, towards the end when they're knackered.

Fair enough, we should also preserve Cisse and Gouffran until the final 15 minutes too just in case they have shockers and/or don't score. Hold tight for 5/6ths of the game and then unleash the magic.

Fair enough, we should also preserve Cisse and Gouffran until the final 15 minutes too just in case they have shockers and/or don't score. Hold tight for 5/6ths of the game and then unleash the magic.

Apart from those 2 are fully fit, aye, great comparison.

I just think your reasons for giving our best player (and he was our best player literally 1 day ago) 15 minutes are counter intuitive. We're just giving him less time to make something happen, and we have less control of how the game is flowing when he does enter the pitch. Look at Liverpool, he came on with us 2-0 down, tried to do too much, lost possession and it was 3-0.

I just think your reasons for giving our best player (and he was our best player literally 1 day ago) 15 minutes are counter intuitive. We're just giving him less time to make something happen, and we have less control of how the game is flowing when he does enter the pitch. Look at Liverpool, he came on with us 2-0 down, tried to do too much, lost possession and it was 3-0.

Pardews tactics are always flawed in the second half of games. Keep it tight and then unleash a half fit HBA is far more attractive than the alternative, start HBA haul him off when they match him due to difference in fitness levels.

My point being a half fit HBA is more effective against knackered QPR players than he would be at the beginning of a match.

We need to be able to win a second half of football. HBA being fresher gives us more chance of this.