Formation 2013/14

tomlkier

I know it's a novel idea at this club, but if you could pick a formation for next season with a view to signing players to fit that formation, what would you like to see us play?

Would have to be a 433 for me, we actually played some beautiful football under Pardew with Cisse, Ba, Benny and I'd love a return to something like that.

Whichever suits our final squad the best.

That's the sort of planning we have at the moment .. none.

We should be signing players to fit a plan, not making a formation based on the players available.

4-4-2 or 4-3-3, it really depends on who comes in. I believe we'll start next season with a 4-4-2 and I'd have no problem with that, as long as we got a good left winger in.

Who would you have up top with Cisse in a 442? Gouffran? a big man like Carroll? or someone nippy like Aubameyang or Remy?

Would definitely need to bring in real wingers for a 442, not sure it would suit Ben Arfa.

Cisse is not working as a central front man with the current crop of players we have. Unless we sign a wide player who has the ability to win the ball in the air and hold the ball up (like Ba played when Cisse first arrived) it'll be like flogging a dead horse. So that kind of rules out a working 4-3-3 until we have a player suited for it.

Do we really do formations?

Cisse, get right up top.

Sissy, run from your own box until you can pass it to Cisse.

Everyone else, get back.

It's all about two banks of 4.

That are 2 yards away from one another? Both inside our own 18 yard box?

I think it's tactics rather than formation that needs to be worked on. Happy with 4-2-3-1 as long as decent Left/Right wing and players encouraged to move and retain possession.

Needs to be 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 for me.

4-4-2 or 4-3-3, it really depends on who comes in. I believe we'll start next season with a 4-4-2 and I'd have no problem with that, as long as we got a good left winger in.

Who would you have up top with Cisse in a 442? Gouffran? a big man like Carroll? or someone nippy like Aubameyang or Remy?

Would definitely need to bring in real wingers for a 442, not sure it would suit Ben Arfa.

Gouffran's looked useful in the limited amount of time he's played properly up front and I'm intrigued to see how he performs there over time, I'd already put him in the nippy striker category. We do need a target man in as well, which ever one plays with Cisse will be dependent on the opposition.

As for the midfield, I think HBA's fine in a 4-4-2, he can go on his right foot and we have Debuchy to provide width. We desperately need a true wide man ahead of Santon though, someone who can work a bit of space and put in a good delivery.

Near as I can reckon

????

????      ????      ????      ????

????          ????

????            ????            JONAS

????

Okay, I'll play along. Full-strength, as is:

Krul                     

Taylor        Coloccini

Debuchy                                  Santon

Anita    Sissoko

Cabaye

Ben Arfa                          Gouffran

Cisse

Though I'm tempted to start Mapou at LB.

Okay, I'll play along. Full-strength, as is:

Krul                     

Taylor        Coloccini

Debuchy                                  Santon

Anita    Sissoko

Cabaye

Ben Arfa                          Gouffran

Cisse

Though I'm tempted to start Mapou at LB.

That team is more than capable of top 8 in that formation.

The problem is the shape and tactics. All of them will stand still, Gouffran, Ben Arfa and Cabaye will be too far away from Cisse, we won't be compact enough when defending and we won't try and stretch defences when attacking.