Ex scout Paul Montgomery appraises recent Newcastle signings.

James

Scholes

:lol:

The best attacking midfielder the PL's ever seen. Not a playmaker at all.

Really? You thought the way he passed it around was substandard? I thought he was a great passer. He always seemed to know just when one of the FBs was arriving and would just ping out to them. That and many other great passes. Personally thought his passing was fantastic. If there was anything he was bad at i'd say it was tackling.

I haven't seen him been enough of a dribbler or pacey enough for that role. To me he's a central playmaker, give him a bodyguard and let him move the ball around.

Spot on VI. :thup:

Incidentally I always found the "XXXX or YYYY doesn't work in this league" argument to be bollocks. It's not like English teams don't get beat by European teams that use the exact kind of players and tactics that supposedly "don't work". It's all about how good the players are and how well you execute the plan.

Incidentally I always found the "XXXX or YYYY doesn't work in this league" argument to be bollocks. It's not like English teams don't get beat by European teams that use the exact kind of players and tactics that supposedly "don't work". It's all about how good the players are and how well you execute the plan.

But it's 11 players playing that style.  It's different when 10 are playing differently to 1. Like how Cesc isn't a CM in Spanish football anymore.

:thup:

Such a lazy viewpoint.

But it's 11 players playing that style.  It's different when 10 are playing differently to 1. Like how Cesc isn't a CM in Spanish football anymore.

But that's down to a manager putting out a cohesive side with players that complement each other, not that a particular style or player can't compete in the league.

i don't disagree tbh. But I do think a slower game suits other leagues better than the PL- couldn't imagine Riqueleme playing well under any manager in the Premiership consistently like he did under Pellegrini. Like-wise quick and direct players are more suited to the Prem.

Now someone like Alonso you would think, might struggle in the PL. But not only is he an elite player, he had a manager that understood how to get the best out of him in this league but fully understands what made him special in Spain. Alonso's better than Cabaye and Benitez is more shrewd than Pardew. This man played Hayden Mullins over Mascherano ffs.

So yeah, I don't disagree but there's certain mileage in that line. By English football we really mean, "is not suited to kick and rush". It's doesn't matter as much if his team doesn't play kick and rush.

Tom Huddlestone, can't believe he's still floating around Spurs' B side. Lovely footballer has shown moments of class in the Premier League. Suprised a decent enough club hasn't took a chance on him. I'd start him for Spurs.

Carrys a bit like.

Cabaye covers the ground okay, but he's not what you could call a quick or a strong runner. His passing is great, but he rarely gets past a man and is vulnerable under a physical challenge or when in tight spaces.

So he tends to operate as a playmaker, behind most of the midfield and attack, where he has time and space to pick a pass. When he does get forward, again it's not often into the crowded penalty area, but a bit further back where he looks for a long-range shot.

Ideally your playmaker can also defend a bit, because they're operating behind the midfield, but Cabaye's tackling is very poor. So there's a problem in finding his right role in a side.

Tom Huddlestone, can't believe he's still floating around Spurs' B side. Lovely footballer has shown moments of class in the Premier League. Suprised a decent enough club hasn't took a chance on him. I'd start him for Spurs.

Carrys a bit like.

Start ahead of who?

My three would be Sandro/Huddlestone/Dembele. Haven't seen enough of Holtby in Premier League to make my mind up on him (impressed in this tourney though).