Ex scout Paul Montgomery appraises recent Newcastle signings.

James

I've seen absolutely nothing in his time here to suggest he isn't a 'box to box midfielder' if we need to pigeonhole him in to a role as such. He's not 'creative' but at the same time his running and power will free up 'creative' opportunities for others or indeed himself to exploit.

I don't know about mobile but Cabaye is no natural athlete. He doesn;t have the physical capacity to do lots of running AND really influence the game. He can get bogged down in battles. That's why he works best with Tiote, who eases the legwork he has to do.

Sissoko - at the moment I agree. Look at his French record in end product - it's not great. his burst when he came here seems against the trend.

Guest neesy111

I don't know about mobile but Cabaye is no natural athlete.

:thup:

If we are to see the best of Cabaye, then he needs to stop chasing the game imo.

I don't know about mobile but Cabaye is no natural athlete.

:thup:

If we are to see the best of Cabaye, then he needs to stop chasing the game imo.

I'd agree with that.

So many times I saw him failing to get back in forward positons and being easily bypassed in midfield.

Unfortunately the way we played last season tends to lead to players needing to chase the game.

What about Bigirimana? Looks a class young act imo and he needs first team football next season.

:thup: Would like to see him go on loan for parts of next season given that he's unlikely to get games here. No reason why he couldn't get in a top-end CCC team for a couple of months here and there.

I don't think its "fitness". It's more natural athleticism or yeah maybe mobility. He can do it - it's just a massive effort. Xabi Alonso is the same.

I just think if we are talking about mobility it ought to be borne in mind that last season he had fitness issues. I remember thinking he looked more sluggish than he had done previously on many occasions last season.

I've seen absolutely nothing in his time here to suggest he isn't a 'box to box midfielder' if we need to pigeonhole him in to a role as such. He's not 'creative' but at the same time his running and power will free up 'creative' opportunities for others or indeed himself to exploit.

All of this.  He should never be used solely as a DM.

Sissoko is far from a holding midfielder. Go back and watch him play when we are defending - he doesn't really even go in for a tackle, just shadows the player and covers an area. When we signed him, it was said multiple times by a few on here and some French football scouts/analysts that he had to have a DM behind him to do that work for him as he was quite lazy defensively.

He's a fantastic talent, he's strong & pacy and has a few things he needs to realize about his own skillset which is release the ball a bit quicker etc.

If we sign some wide players, our man behind Cisse should be HBA, free to drift about - if we don't, then I'd play Marv there as he's the only player we've got besides Hatem with real talent in tight spaces and has proven he has the killer pass in him.

the only person who doesn't know cabaye should be heading a midfield three is f***ing pardew

I'm not sure how successful he would be there.The obvious candidate for that role is Marveaux, with Sissoko and Cabaye behind him imo.

Stopped reading when he claimed we could have had Ben Arfa for half a million. Throughout his career he's been considered a huge talent even from his time at Clairefontaine, at no point would Lyon or Marseilles have let him go for 500k ffs. :lol: Even with a snapped leg he still cost around £5m, back when he was young, highly rated and you know, not crippled, he would've cost a fair bit more than half a million. :hmm:

I haven't seen him been enough of a dribbler or pacey enough for that role. To me he's a central playmaker, give him a bodyguard and let him move the ball around.

That's exactly how I see him. Problem is, central playmakers rarely work in this league.

I haven't seen him been enough of a dribbler or pacey enough for that role. To me he's a central playmaker, give him a bodyguard and let him move the ball around.

That's exactly how I see him. Problem is, central playmakers rarely work in this league.

Carrick? Not a tackler, not a midfield dynamo, not fast, doesn't cover the pitch like a mad ant but has a great pass off either foot to anywhere on the park?