The Official Alan Pardew Excuses Thread

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

If we finish 4th or 5th again under this nugget I will staple my scrot to a rabid ferret. The guy is humming and hah-ing over whether top ten is achievable.

Which part of the ferret?  This could potentially make a big difference.

Hence why I used 'again'. The business end of the ferret btw. I understand that it may leave a bitter taste in the mouths of those who don't agree with the abuse of Pardew but I think it would be sensible to assume that that finish isn't reflective of the manager he is. One good season, one disasterous, half of one mediocre and mediocrity in the past. It may seem 'fair' to adopt a we'll see policy with regard to this season but he' shown naught but lies, stagnation and dross football time and time again. I won't berate anyone who expresses being fed up of it.

Hence why I used 'again'. The business end of the ferret btw. I understand that it may leave a bitter taste in the mouths of those who don't agree with the abuse of Pardew but I think it would be sensible to assume that that finish isn't reflective of the manager he is. One good season, one disasterous, half of one mediocre and mediocrity in the past. It may seem 'fair' to adopt a we'll see policy with regard to this season but he' shown naught but lies, stagnation and dross football time and time again. I won't berate anyone who expresses being fed up of it.

Actaully a very good post. I wouldn't say i berate anyone who expresses being fed up, i can see it's understandable, it's the hatred position people take on him, no matter what he achieves here, he won't be good enough because it's Alan Pardew and he's not a huge managerial name or got a pretty foreign name. I’ve got my doubts with him, I really have. I’m not fond of the way things have been going on the pitch either but I just feel for myself, the best way to go into this season now he is here, is to back him and the team and hope we get off to a good start and move on from there and hopefully the confidence gets built quickly which sets the foundations for rest of the season. I may add, I don’t think he’s this hoof ball manager everyone seems to label him as, certainly he has done it in the past, but I do think he is genuinely trying to play the right way with possession football but because we are lacking cutting edge, it’s not looking pleasing on the eye at this moment in time.

Actaully a very good post. I wouldn't say i berate anyone who expresses being fed up, i can see it's understandable, it's the hatred position people take on him, no matter what he achieves here, he won't be good enough because it's Alan Pardew and he's not a huge managerial name or got a pretty foreign name. I’ve got my doubts with him, I really have. I’m not fond of the way things have been going on the pitch either but I just feel for myself, the best way to go into this season now he is here, is to back him and the team and hope we get off to a good start and move on from there and hopefully the confidence gets built quickly which sets the foundations for rest of the season. I may add, I don’t think he’s this hoof ball manager everyone seems to label him as, certainly he has done it in the past, but I do think he is genuinely trying to play the right way with possession football but because we are lacking cutting edge, it’s not looking pleasing on the eye at this moment in time.

How can anyone think this, man?

Guest Haris Vuckic

If we finish 4th or 5th again under this nugget I will staple my scrot to a rabid ferret. The guy is humming and hah-ing over whether top ten is achievable.

Probably because clubs like Southampton, Sunderland, Norwich, Swansea &  West Ham are much more ambitious than us because they actually get transfers ''over the line'' while we haggle over £500k and miss our targets.

Guest reefatoon

Wow! You can't be serious about that.

Because Colo, MYM, Santon, Debuchy are footballers, if you think Pardew is basically just saying, when you receive the ball look for space further up field and hit the gaps, if not look for Cisse then i think it's you who should be in question and not myself. I'm just going off what i've seen of pre-season so far and towards back end of last season i think there was definitely a decrease in long balls from Jan onwards when Williamson (main culprit) was booted out of the team. I'm not saying he's trying to play this slick passing football, but i definitely feel like he wants possession to be high on our side to take control of games and you almost certainly can't get that by playing hoof ball giving it away cheaply

To give this thread even more life we could use it for excuse predictions.

"We was struggling with the strong winds and I think that gave them the edge as they're used to it"

"They coordinated their goal posts well and I think that didn't serve us particularly well. But we was strong and on the front foot."

Because Colo, MYM, Santon, Debuchy are footballers, if you think Pardew is basically just saying, when you receive the ball look for space further up field and hit the gaps, if not look for Cisse then i think it's you who should be in question and not myself. I'm just going off what i've seen of pre-season so far and towards back end of last season i think there was definitely a decrease in long balls from Jan onwards when Williamson (main culprit) was booted out of the team. I'm not saying he's trying to play this slick passing football, but i definitely feel like he wants possession to be high on our side to take control of games and you almost certainly can't get that by playing hoof ball giving it away cheaply

1. He plays the players he's given.

2. He chooses the wrong fucking players to play a passing game.

3. Over the last few seasons I've sat at St. James' and watched us repeatedly hit the front man or knock it over the top for Cisse to run onto.

4. His absolute priority is on keeping things tight. Always.

5. See point 4.

i) Where's this view ever been expressed? I think a lot, if not most, of the posters here have expressed a will to let the man develop and learn as a young manager, but he is showing the same non-development based on pre-season (albeit expressed on here with an admittedly hyperbolic tone) and the pretty name stuff is just nonsense to be honest. Give me an Adkins and his style of play anyday.

ii) He talks a good passing game but I'm yet to see him implement one with any satisfactory regularity. I'll hope for the best and support the team; but I'm under no illusions we are capable of top 6 because of Pardew's stewardship.

I'm not talking about past few seasons, i admitted he had played that tactic in the past, i was merely stating since Jan and from what i've seen this season, there has been a decrease in long balls and more passing between defenders/midfielders but struggled to get the service to the strikers. I do think he wants to keep the ball better than we have been doing and working on doing so. His priority is to keep things tight but he can do that by taking control of games with more possession rather than he can with the hoof ball.

i) Where's this view ever been expressed? I think a lot, if not most, of the posters here have expressed a will to let the man develop and learn as a young manager, but he is showing the same non-development based on pre-season (albeit expressed on here with an admittedly hyperbolic tone) and the pretty name stuff is just nonsense to be honest. Give me an Adkins and his style of play anyday.

It's all over the forum, even in the rangers friendly thread, calls of get him out. Others go on how they can't stand him, it wouldn't be hard to find quotes of people tearing him to sheds going way beyond just being concerned about his leadership. I'd stick with Pardew over Adkins fwiw.

I'm not talking about past few seasons, i admitted he had played that tactic in the past, i was merely stating since Jan and from what i've seen this season, there has been a decrease in long balls and more passing between defenders/midfielders but struggled to get the service to the strikers. I do think he wants to keep the ball better than we have been doing and working on doing so. His priority is to keep things tight but he can do that by taking control of games with more possession rather than he can with the hoof ball.

Without demeaning how difficult a job being a premiership football manager must be; it's alarming it's taken this long for him to realise the last point you make and that's going on the positive assumption that he has. I think he's a poor defensive minded coach who is aware that that style of play is unpopular with supporters and labels his type of teams as some sort of tight counter-attacking side. He emphasises the former in every game and either struggles or can't implement the latter.

It's another case of an ex player who's playing at being manager; notebooks, suits, talk of perfect set-pieces etc. That's what the cynic in me says and though I would truly love to see the capacity for development in him; he makes it a bloody struggle imo.

It's all over the forum, even in the rangers friendly thread, calls of get him out. Others go on how they can't stand him, it wouldn't be hard to find quotes of people tearing him to sheds going way beyond just being concerned about his leadership. I'd stick with Pardew over Adkins fwiw.

Nowt to do with his name or being a big name though; more his conduct which is another matter entirely. I think Adkins would get more out this crop of players personally, if you believe that he was working with a lesser crop before. Doesn't have to be him necessarily, I'm positive there are others who differ in their approach enough to develop from the one we have which is, currently, not working.

Maybe i was going a bit over the top with the whole needs to be a foreign name call but it just winds me up that i honestly believe no matter what Pardew does achieve, he will still have a section that will just always hate him. There is a posters on here that would rather see us disappoint in our opening games just so he is sacked so we can ship him on which would help us in the future they feel. Just the name Alan Pardew grates on many and his achievements aren't going to differ people's opinions, they want him gone. It has taken a while for him to adapt and try a different approach to be fair he finished 5th then tried same again but things just ended up being a disaster starting with the Ba situation. It might be just me I don’t know, I haven’t seen the stats but I do think long balls are getting fewer and the friendlies played so far seem to have mainly been us passing the ball about without really threatening goal wise and not just hoofing it.

Maybe i was going a bit over the top with the whole needs to be a foreign name call but it just winds me up that i honestly believe no matter what Pardew does achieve, he will still have a section that will just always hate him. There is a posters on here that would rather see us disappoint in our opening games just so he is sacked so we can ship him on which would help us in the future they feel. Just the name Alan Pardew grates on many and his achievements aren't going to differ people's opinions, they want him gone. It has taken a while for him to adapt and try a different approach to be fair he finished 5th then tried same again but things just ended up being a disaster starting with the Ba situation. It might be just me I don’t know, I haven’t seen the stats but I do think long balls are getting fewer and the friendlies played so far seem to have mainly been us passing the ball about without really threatening goal wise and not just hoofing it.

What nonsense is this?

People want him gone because he's a crap manager. To pretend it's about anything else for most people is garbage.

How do you know people wouldnt change their minds if he gave them a reason to? I know I would.

Guest reefatoon

I still struggle how people can rate him to be honest.  He won a lot of fans over when we finished 5th, but I don't think anyone was kidding themselves he was an accomplished manager. Last season was back to usual form (going off his career past).

No one warmed to him from the start because not one fan wanted him here in the first place, and that was to do with his track record as a manager, which was shit.

He is very lucky to be where he is, and we as a club are very unlucky to still have him here. There is no way he is going to turn this around and finish in the top 5 again. I think he sunk too far last season.

Gone by December.