The Official Alan Pardew Excuses Thread

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

Guest reefatoon

I'd be happy for us to just turn up at home and try and attack and win a game, not for the team to be sent out there to try and stifle the opposition and not let them score.  It's that type of negative s*** that I detest and what Pardew always seems to do.

Still gets me angry that we went into the Liverpool home game with two defensive midfielders, the f***ing bottler.  We need a manager who is strong and will play to our strengths, not a bottling c***, that is s*** scared of what the opposition might do.

Or when against Man Utd and we played to stop them and won 3-0? Wasn't pretty, was just a combust battling performance in tough conditions. Was hardly exciting from a pure football perspective but we all left the ground on cloud number 9, if you didn't, then there is some serious issues.

Not really sure what you are trying to get at with this post, I agree with it all but it has nothing to do with the discussion we were having? That was a great performance, the lads were fired up and gave everything, I thought it was a cracking game to watch. Though last season's was back to normality.

I'm more of a results person than a performance person. I couldn't give a s*** if we scraped or battled wins as long as we won. Nice football is great to watch but as long as i walk out the stadium with 3 points in the bag and things are working, like we did when we finished 5th, it wasn't pretty but results came, i'm happy for that. And I’d take it all over again. If you can gel both, that’s fantastic. Arsenal still arguably play some of the best passing football in the land when on top form but you don’t see many happy gooners around these days, they now just want trophies and results, if that means Wenger and his pretty football gone, so be it.

:lol:

I bet you sneak in the ground for the last 5 minutes when the exits open, the rest of the match is pointless to you anyway.

Guest reefatoon

I'm more of a results person than a performance person. I couldn't give a s*** if we scraped or battled wins as long as we won. Nice football is great to watch but as long as i walk out the stadium with 3 points in the bag and things are working, like we did when we finished 5th, it wasn't pretty but results came, i'm happy for that. And I’d take it all over again. If you can gel both, that’s fantastic. Arsenal still arguably play some of the best passing football in the land when on top form but you don’t see many happy gooners around these days, they now just want trophies and results, if that means Wenger and his pretty football gone, so be it.

I bet you sneak in the ground for the last 5 minutes when the exits open, the rest of the match is pointless to you anyway.

Naa, he seems more of a "Be in the ground by 1pm, pen in hand ready to fill in the teamsheet on the back page of the programme, scribbling down substitutions, bookings and all" type of guy.  They always have a perpetual grin on their face at the ground and always seem as happy as a pig in shit.

My point is the fact Pardew set both games up to stop the other team, both sides were negative. The difference being was one we were on a torrid run with confidence low where nobody wanted to know and the other the players were in top 8/6 and like you say fired up for the fight. Pardew didn't really go into the game with a different manner against Liverpool or Man Utd, the target was to stop them playing and nick the odd goal ourselves, but both had very different outcomes. The reason Man Utd game was cracking was because Demba had a bit of individual brilliance, Cabaye scored from a set peice and we fluked a long ball for the 3rd, all the while i'm sure Ben Arfa sat on the bench and watched Ryan Taylor play right wing. The football itself wasn't anything to write home about but it got results, that's all we did but it was the confidence we had that got those results. Get early confidence back start of the season and we will ride on from there, a good start is crucial.

Naa, he seems more of a "Be in the ground by 1pm, pen in hand ready to fill in the teamsheet on the back page of the programme, scribbling down substitutions, bookings and all" type of guy.  They always have a perpetual grin on their face at the ground and always seem as happy as a pig in s***.

I'm in pub by 12.30pm kind of guy. Out after the match for 1 or 2 then head home if we lose, out for the duration if we win. Kind of how the Saturday 3pms work for me. No programmes and pens or any sneaky turnstile entrances during stoppage time  :lol:

Guest reefatoon

My point is the fact Pardew set both games up to stop the other team, both sides were negative. The difference being was one we were on a torrid run with confidence low where nobody wanted to know and the other the players were in top 8/6 and like you say fired up for the fight. Pardew didn't really go into the game with a different manner against Liverpool or Man Utd, the target was to stop them playing and nick the odd goal ourselves, but both had very different outcomes. The reason Man Utd game was cracking was because Demba had a bit of individual brilliance, Cabaye scored from a set peice and we fluked a long ball for the 3rd, all the while i'm sure Ben Arfa sat on the bench and watched Ryan Taylor play right wing. The football itself wasn't anything to write home about but it got results, that's all we did but it was the confidence we had that got those results. Get early confidence back start of the season and we will ride on from there, a good start is crucial.

Though I agree with large parts of that, I don't think they were set up the same.  We pressed Man Utd high up the pitch, didn't give them any time to settle into a rhythmn.  Liverpool on the other hand, we had all our players really deep with no outlet and sat back hoping not too concede. This could have been a confidence thing, but that is something Pardew needs to instill into them, but that Liverpool team he picked would not have instilled confidence in anyone.

I agree that a good start is crucial, but we also need to see a change in how we come out and play.  We need to get back to playing our game and not worrying about the opposition.

Guest bimpy474

The reason the two results were so different were because Sir Alex knew we would try the same tactic, and he went in with a narrow diamond in the second match. And that is why Pardew and us were so poor last season, we were so predictable it was embarrassing. Overlook it if you like but the proof right there if you want to see it.

Guest reefatoon

A good start's not crucial when you've got a competent manager.

I was talking about crucial for Pardew.  If nothing looks like it has changed after a few games, then I can see him getting some major stick.

I was talking about crucial for Pardew.  If nothing looks like it has changed after a few games, then I can see him getting some major stick.

I was talking to Brett. I don't think he'll get much stick at all, everyone's got their cheap seats and the expectations have been lowered.

Guest bimpy474

Not making signings will help Pardew if we start badly, that'll get the blame more than him (partly fair enough too).

Guest reefatoon

Definitely an excuse ready and waiting throughout August "No new players" 

September's excuse will be "New players not ready yet"

I was talking to Brett. I don't think he'll get much stick at all, everyone's got their cheap seats and the expectations have been lowered.

Agreed but with the fans already not looking forward to the start of the season, the players attitudes and confidence from last season and Pardew's tactics and managerial ability under real scrutiny from everyone, get off to a bad start and things will just go from bad to worse, get off to a good start and it will be interesting to see how and if we kick on from it. We don't need a result against Man City away, we just can't have a battering, come out of the game with our heads held high and take it from there. I've always maintained i'm no Pardew lover, i might want him gone myself if could trust Ashley to bring in someone better, but i really don't. So instead even though i've got my doubts about Pardew, i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. With the way the home games early doors have panned out, a good start certainly isn't out of the question and i think that could give us a huge boost for the season to come.

Guest reefatoon

Pardew's like a boxer who keeps his hands high and is frightened to throw punch because it leaves him open. In his mind, as soon as you attack, you're vunerable.

Good analogy.  When he does try to attack this happens.

h924795BA

Funny thing but i've watched football for 35 years, the reason i watch it is to see it played the right way. I never realised that was bullshit tbh.

This is the way I look at it. We're not gonna win anything, so why don't we have a good time instead? This is certainly not the 'rather lose 4-3' argument btw, I want to win, but when you've got bad football and bad results it's not a nice mix.

Bang on, both bimpy and Venkman. I am absolutely looking forward to this season if we get another signing or two in....then I start thinking about Pardew setting the team up in his usual gormless manner and I get deflated.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Funny thing but i've watched football for 35 years, the reason i watch it is to see it played the right way. I never realised that was bullshit tbh.

You won't have seen many Newcastle teams play "the right way" in which case.

Pardew's like a boxer who keeps his hands high and is frightened to throw punch because it leaves him open. In his mind, as soon as you attack, you're vunerable.

h924795BA

It's not a great analogy, really. Given that most fighters who keep their hands high are actually offensive boxers.

Guest bimpy474

h924795BA

It's not a great analogy, really. Given that most fighters who keep their hands high are actually offensive boxers.

FFS Ron, :lol:

He's more like a blind boxer with no arms who still hasn't found the ring.

h924795BA

FFS Ron, :lol: