NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

'a season outside the Champions League will not be damaging to his career' :lol:

It's sad, but when I read that statement, it did not to mean that Newcastle would be in the CL within a year, but Lacazette could move on to a new club after just one year with Newcastle.

I am actually OK with us being viewed as a stepping stone club (as long as its a stepping stone to the Champions league clubs and not to the likes of Spurs or Everton or Southampton).  My view is that for each player who uses us to step up and move on, another one sees us just as a step up and stays.

That process then fuels our progress upwards at a steady pace.

To keep with that ethos though, our management need to stop saying we're not trying to win anything ever

I think out of the 4 senior strikers we have, Gouffran and Riviere are the most likely to get 10+ goals. The ceiling for those two is probably 12, if they played 30+ games. Cisse has the potential to get more than any of them but our set up is the antithesis of what he needs.

In order to have a decent chance of reaching the Top 6, a team needs at least ONE striker capable of scoring 20 goals a season and another capable of reaching 12-15. You then need the advanced m/fielders to get 10 or 15 between them with the rest of the team getting another 10...this gives you a total of 60 goals, given the most optimistic outcome - this is less than 2 per game in the PL.

Work out how likely we are to score even ONE per game and you can see what a daunting task it is for the new players to do the business - esp as our defence looks incapable of many clean sheets - without a player up front who can hit the net on a regular basis.

Supermac used to target himself 30 goals a season in the 70s and on the occasions he wasn't out injured for a long period, he managed it, with usually between 20-25 in the League. Don't say it was easier then because there were some good defenders about too and there aren't many players around now who could match Macdonald's pace - 10.9 secs to do 100 metres....in 75-76, he and Gowling got about 50 between them and even allowing for better organized defences, the equivalent today is about 30-35 for the 2 main strikers.

Modern midfields are closely contested and crowded, so only a player like Cabaye could get any sort of reasonable goal return the way NUFC play under Pardew...Cisse looks a shadow of the striker that joined us in 2012 and has never looked as deadly again.He lacks pace off the mark and that won't improve at his age...also, he and any other striker, gets little decent service from the flanks as the slow build-up gives opposition sides plenty of time to get back in numbers and mark our front players.

A fee that could rise to £15 million has also been agreed for Lyon forward Alexandre Lacazette, but the player is still in need of convincing that a season outside the Champions League will not be damaging to his career.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/a-tale-of-two-cities-how-geordie-cloud-drifted-over-sunderland-9652632.html

The comments :lol:

http://i.snag.gy/o5CbD.jpg

From today's L'Equipe on Lyon.

My French is terrible; I think the last few sentences say something to the effect of Lyon wanting to reduce losses so may well be forced to accept our offer on Lacazette. Could be totally wrong there.

But they feature a prominent photo of him in their season preview pages and feature him in Lyon's projected starting XI, so...

Alexandre Lacazette, was called to confirm his excellent last season, Lyon could therefore try to unearth a scorer of experience. But his room to maneuver depends, in particular, transfers eventual Clement Grenier and Samuel Umtiti. However, to date, the only concrete offer, from Newcastle, concerns Lacazette. The OL has to be beautiful engages in the reduction of losses, it is probably not dare to pluck at this point.

:D same old crap really. We are interested, thats all we know.

Surprises me to keep reading people are desperate for another midfielder and striker when personally I still feel our biggest problem (other than Pards of course) is our inability to get the ball from the back to the midield.

Partly it's because we don't have a goalkeeper who is particularly comfortable with the ball at his feet and partly because when Williamson or Taylor play we immediately have a player who is, in passing terms a bit of a liability.

Seems like Mwbia has been written off by the management so it's an area that needs addressing. If Taylor is still firmly part of our first team we'll struggle - his poor positional sense and panic mode style of John Terry defending won't be doing us many favours.

'a season outside the Champions League will not be damaging to his career' :lol:

It's sad, but when I read that statement, it did not to mean that Newcastle would be in the CL within a year, but Lacazette could move on to a new club after just one year with Newcastle.

I am actually OK with us being viewed as a stepping stone club (as long as its a stepping stone to the Champions league clubs and not to the likes of Spurs or Everton or Southampton).  My view is that for each player who uses us to step up and move on, another one sees us just as a step up and stays.

That process then fuels our progress upwards at a steady pace.

Life must be good in Texas to have that sort of mentality.

Surprises me too since pretty much everyone has been saying we need another CB for the last 3 months.

I'd say the general conciousness on here is a striker first and foremost, when I'd say a CB would be more of a priority now given the business we've done so far.

Surprises me to keep reading people are desperate for another midfielder and striker when personally I still feel our biggest problem (other than Pards of course) is our inability to get the ball from the back to the midield.

Partly it's because we don't have a goalkeeper who is particularly comfortable with the ball at his feet and partly because when Williamson or Taylor play we immediately have a player who is, in passing terms a bit of a liability.

Seems like Mwbia has been written off by the management so it's an area that needs addressing. If Taylor is still firmly part of our first team we'll struggle - his poor positional sense and panic mode style of John Terry defending won't be doing us many favours.

Agree with this, I see all this talk of getting yet another striker and wonder what we're gonna do with them all? I think it's almost certain we'll only be playing a one striker system with de Jong behind, that leaves you Cisse, Riv, Chucky and Ayoze + new striker all competing for one place. Then Gouff, Armstrong etc. as well

I think a big part of the problem is that our defense plays so deep that there is a massive gap between them and the midfield and they end up just having to play oofball

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/9409242/transfer-news-alexandre-lacazette-ready-for-new-season

Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette is ready to start the season in France, despite a summer of being linked with a move to Newcastle.

Alan Pardew is keen to sign another forward into St James' Park before the transfer window closes and have been on the trail of Lacazette for months.

But the 23-year-old has insisted he is happy at Lyon.

"Last winter there were rumours, rumours of a possible departure and you can hear anything and everything, it has not been easy," said the striker.

"Now I am used to it, and I am now in Lyon and concentrating on the new season.

"It is true that with myself, Max [Gonalons] and Clement [Grenier], we have people looking at us – but it's a good pressure."

I am not convinced we need another striker.  If the ones we have signed aren't good enough they should't have been signed.  Signing 15 strikers is not going to help the situation as Pardew will play at most 2 up front and we have 4 or 5 if you include Gouffran.  There is the obvious that if they have a 'good engine' Pardew will play them on the wing but we may be better signing an actual winger for these purposes.

I would rather sign a winger, creative CM or centre back.

Not that it matters we'd be crap if we sign Messi, Ronaldo, Bale and Suarez as they probably don't carry enough 'fret' to be let off their defensive duties.

Guest Roger Kint

I would rather sign a proper leader at the back. Not conceding 60 goals a season would benefit us more than someone scoring a few more. Not looking like a collection of blind strangers half the time defensively would be a huge bonus going forward as well with players having a bit of freeedon.

Guest Roger Kint

Because he's ready to start the season in France, doesn't mean he wouldn't leave though.

Chosen his words very carefully there, also as for a need for a CB I completely agree but we need a striker and midfielder too.

You keep saying this, but why exactly do we need a midfielder?

While we obviously could do with a better midfielder the fact is its never going to happen, when it comes to needs a midfielder isnt a priority.

Because none of the CMs are creative, sure the ones in front are but how are they going to consistently get the ball with the likes of Tiote spinning on the centre circle not releasing the ball quickly enough.

Basically we need a CM who is going to get the ball and quickly put the attackers in position to cause damage. None of them can do right now, they either don't have the vision or the ability to do so.

I can almost guarantee that at some point this season we are going to complain about the ball constantly sticking in the middle of the pitch not moving forward.

Because that's what is going to happen with Tiote/Colback/Sissoko/Anita in the middle and the likes De Jong and Cabella will be isolated.

Is the idea not currently get a right sided forward? Both the French lad and PEA can both operate wide forward and up front. That could drop sissoko into midfield or move riviere to the left and Cabella over to the right should they take up a more central role. Remy looked most dangerous coming in from the left as well.

Not sure pard's wants someone who won't play as a full back mind, but the options would be there for a pretty flexible front 4 should we get one of those players.

Unless yanga gets sold I don't see another cb coming in. That would mean we'd have to shift 2 cbs next year when the forest kid comes in.

I would rather sign a proper leader at the back. Not conceding 60 goals a season would benefit us more than someone scoring a few more. Not looking like a collection of blind strangers half the time defensively would be a huge bonus going forward as well with players having a bit of freeedon.

It's amazing isn't it how our manager makes us work on defensive tactics so much yet we're fucking abysmal at it.

Guest Roger Kint

It's amazing isn't it how our manager makes us work on defensive tactics so much yet we're fucking abysmal at it.

:lol: You couldnt make it up. Negative formations & defensive tactics most the time yet we seem to concede more each year under this clown. The fact we have three coaches and none have a clue doesnt help....