Newcastle United 2 - 3 Hull City - 21/09/13 (FT) Post match reaction from p 33

Guest pricedoutoftoon

I agree, he's a good footballer but certainly not a leader. I more meant in the fact that if we don't want to demote him as captain, just a vocal presence on the pitch is needed regardless of captaincy

A manager who is prepared to drop a few players when they don't perform might also get them to buck up their ideas. Mourinho didn't take any prisoners yesterday when he dropped Mata and Luiz and that sent out a message who is boss. They might not stay top come May but you can guarantee that every player will be running through a brick wall for Chelsea before the season's out.

Guest bimpy474

In Pardew's entire time here, we've only ever scored three away and won twice, yet in the last six home games, it's happened to us three times.

I've been saying for ages we're dreadful at the back, the amount we concede is ridiculous, clean sheets against Morecambe, Wham and Fulham don't hide it. Under Pardew our defensive record overall is rank.

To me it was pure arrogance and complacency. When you see Ben Arfa not being arsed to track back, midfielders not getting tight on their players etc it reeks of not showing enough respect to Hull.

do you not think this was maybe a tactic?  we got a lot of joy last week vs. villa and i don't recall hatem tracking back much, when the ball was won he was generally quite far forward and our first option to take the ball and carry it

remy didn't track back much either, i just wonder if pardew thought we had enough without them and to use them to stretch play when we won it back...playing 3 forwards as opposed to 1 forward and 2 wide midfielders

i mean either way, it didn't work

Mourinho can afford to drop a few players when there's probably £200million sitting on the bench or even in the stands.

Even if there wasn't, I can't imagine a Mourinho team playing when they felt like it. I don't always admire his football but he doesn't put up with any shit.

This result alone just about confirms to me already this season will amount to nothing.

It's bemusing watching you flit backwards and forwards between embracing Pardew for that he is and blind faith.

good

I've finally caught up on the match thread - it was something I was compelled to do because I only watched the first half and was baffled to see we'd lost.

To be honest, I'm still having trouble reconciling what I saw in the first half to what everyone is saying happened in the second.

Wish I hadn't watched the first half at all now, as it gives me hope that we can play well consistently...

Right, my take on the gash proceedings yesterday.

I thought we started brightly and caught Hull a little bit by suprise and knocked their gameplan a little bit but once Hull settled down they started to get chances, of course they ended up taking one chance.  Our defence yesterday was seriously fucking shit but could hardly tell what was going on from where I was sat.

We then managed to score a goal at the best possible time of the game, 2 mins before half time.  Bruces face on the touch line was awesome. 

We then restarted, we gave a way a free kick which they rattled in off the post.  Once that went in our game and team sort of fell apart, we looked clueless and I thought Hull had us where they wanted.  Once Cabaye was crippled, it all started to fall apart.

Not sure why we went to 442 with Gouffran coming on in place of Cabaye, I couldn't work it out and couldn't think how it would work.  Then he goes and makes another sub and brings on Tiote, did we go back to 4-3-3??  I was totally confused by it.

Anyway it all turned to shit but did manage to create one last chance with Remy missed.

Over all, Bruce played pardew a good'un.  Had him sussed.

As for us, i dont think we will be picking up many points at home this season, I think our 4-3-3 is suited to away games. We have no other options really as they never invested in the team over the summer, so we are generally stuck.

As for Cisse, we are playing with 10 men.

Are we creating chances for him or are teams aware of him and cut off the supply.

Having Bruce dance the jig infront of me in his ill fitting tracking bottoms was vomit inducing.

Another Pardew fail.

in a way I think the players thought it was too easy at the start,  we started really well and bossed the game for the first 20 odd mins and were cruising at 1-0,  then the players seemed to get cocky/complacent illustrated when MYM started dribbling out of defence, eventually getting caught and from that moment Hull got into the game and in the space of ten minutes they could have scored 3 or 4 goals, luckily we got away with the sloppiness only conceding the one and then got the bonus of the 2nd goal just before half time.

That should have been the kick up the backside needed to then come out in the 2nd half and win the the game but we started sloppily, switched off at a set piece and never really got going. 

In the end Hull ran out well deserved winners from a game when we should have blown them away after our opening 20 minute spell.

Shameless plug for my blog on it. Comes with a health warning, I could be talking bollocks.

http://nufcvisualised.wordpress.com/2013/09/22/5-observations-newcastle-v-hull/

Just read this you make really good points IMO.

Just goes to show how bad we actually are. It appears we are poorly drilled to be honest the errors made are schoolboy to be frank.

Faster we get rid of this manager the better he doesn't even have a footballing philosophy ffs

Reading past pages seems the momentum has totally swung back in favour of the doubters, which isn't surprising, did expect that, i for one am bitterly disappointed at the way we performed as a team on Saturday. Can't say i seen that coming, really expected 3 points and was most confident going to the ground than i had been for a long time. Hard to point fingers at anyone, think the team as a whole let the club down, Pardew needs to take responsibility for why he couldn't manage to come up with a game plan to break Hull down and create more chances. Hoping this was a one off, look back at our defensive errors and look to why we lacked creativity and hopefully put that right next Monday. What i will say is after that performance i'll hold my hands up and say now is the time to swap Cisse for Gouffran but i'm still not convinced on peoples opinions of Cabaye needs to play in that advanced role, much prefer him picking up the ball deeper and dictating our play, think he struggles to have same impact when in the hole behind Cisse. Saying this, the two i mentioned here who may need shuffled both created our goals. 

Specific points - Cabaye looks lost in that advanced position, he doesn't have a clue what to do. The goals were two soft and one brilliant strike, but we did look generally a bit shaky at the back. The subs were weird, Pardew didn't seem to realise that control of the midfield and stopping Huddlestone pinging the ball around was the key to getting at them. We ended up with defenders and forwards and basically no midfield.

General - I don't know why we lost faith in the way we were playing so quickly. Possibly because we are lacking communication and leadership on the pitch. We played some decent stuff in the first half but quickly abandoned it when things were going against us. This needs to stop if we're going to achieve consistency, in a single game never mind over a whole season.

Overall we could have easily have played like that and got a win or a draw, but we allowed the possibility of defeat to creep in. We should have put them away fairly easily, even though they have some decent players.

We were nearly through to make it 2-0 and they broke and scored, we actually cleared the danger but when they came back at us we were wide open (anyone care to enlighten me where the fuck Debuchy was as i ain't seen highlights yet). We restored the lead, went into half time still thinking we had more to offer in this game and capable of scoring another goal or two. Then they come out and score from a free kick within minutes, another awful piece of marking. We never seemed to get into our stride second half and everything was forced. Then Ben Arfa's piss poor attempt of tracking back resulting in their player having a 10 yard radius to do what the fuck he wanted and what he wanted was to score an absolute peach of a volley, fair play to him, great finish. However after that we still had time to get ourselves back in the game but we were just a mess and hardly threatened bar Remy's chance. The group as a whole now needs to come together and show they can get this right, can't rely on one or two players having good games and getting us 3 points, need to start working harder as a team.

Then Ben Arfa's p*ss poor attempt of tracking back resulting in their player having a 10 yard radius to do what the f*** he wanted and what he wanted was to score an absolute peach of a volley, fair play to him, great finish.

Ben Arfa was at fault for not tracking Hull's winger, but Sissoko let Aluko run by him to score the winner.