Newcastle United 2 - 3 Hull City - 21/09/13 (FT) Post match reaction from p 33

Guest pricedoutoftoon

Haven't read the thread but seem to remember Cisse playing a seriously hopeless ball straight out of play for a throw in which led to Hill gaining a lot of ground upfield. Really terrible

Yep that pass deservedly got a lot of groans and rightly so because that was abysmal, someone played it into his feet and his 5 yard pass to Anita lobbed over his head and out for a throw. Was such a simple pass to make, was costly but a throw in just inside your own half shouldn’t lead to their equaliser to be fair.

Still utterly disgusted with this result. Got to love their 3rd goal, but it's so annoying to get it right upfront but so wrong at the back.

It's fucking Hull as well, we should be doing them over. All the good work at Villa is wasted.

http://www.nufc.com/2013-14html/2013-09-21hull-h.html

On a weekend when ex-pat Geordies from "Auf Wiedersehen Pet" returned to Tyneside, United's own less-than-happy band of economic refugees inexplicably downed tools, leaving their gaffer in renewed danger of being shipped out.

Things began brightly enough for Alan Pardew, who within ten minutes of the first whistle saw Loic Remy poach his first goal for the club, upping the feelgood factor based on three successive wins and aided by the late summer sunshine. And had he turned around at that point, the manager would have seen broad smiles from the owner, chief scout and director of f***all clustered in the posh seats.

By full time though, the mood around these part was rather different and the only visibly celebrating Geordie was doing a soft shoe shuffle in front of an away dugout where a recent SJP testimonial recipient sat, bewildered by what he later described as a "slightly surreal" experience.

The intervening 80 minutes of play had seen the un-fancied Tigers gradually upping their game, discarding their tin hats and going on the offensive it became evident that Newcastle's defensive foundations were built on sand and the home attack was largely a solo effort from the goalscorer.

If their World Cup credentials are credible, this should have been a game where Moussa Sissoko and Yohan Cabaye dominated the midfield. Instead though, the former rapidly lost his early spark and forward endeavour, while the latter was mostly anonymous save for his part in Remy's second goal.

Similarly, Hatem Ben Arfa found himself surrounded by a posse of visiting players whenever he gained possession but lacked the wit to direct the ball into the vacant space created, perpetually setting off on fruitless attempts to dribble through the entire Tigers team. More balloon seller than Ballon d'or on this performance, but it's unrealistic to expect miracles on a weekly basis from the lad.

Some disgracefully lax marking and defending meanwhile allowed Hull in on numerous occasions with Mathieu Debuchy seemingly turning the corner at Villa last week only to find himself in another blind alley. A measure of the full back's awfulness was his substitution late on, with Vurnon Anita dropping back and Cheick Tiote appearing - hardly an obvious ploy for a side seeking an equaliser.

And what of the number nine? Missing in action is perhaps an overly-generous term for a player who hasn't now scored in over 16 hours of Premier League pitch time, but the biggest concern is that Cisse isn't even getting chances to miss. Cabaye's withdrawal through injury around the hour mark looked to have seen a hasty rethink, with Youn Gouffran set to replace the man from Senegal.

That saw 4-3-3 become 4-4-2 and despite the replacement of Cisse with Sylvain Marbeaux, United dropped any pretence of playing the ball through midfield, resorting to a succession of brainless high balls towards Remy and Gouffran that were routinely returned by Hull's centre halves.

The chance of a face-saving equaliser nonetheless arrived deep into five minutes of added time, but Remy fired wide from close range and thus missed out on emulating Malcolm Macdonald's 1971 feat of marking his first home start with a hat trick.

From boom to bust in a week then and back to the gloom army: exactly what Pardew referred to in comments about knee jerk reactions in the media and among supporters. But perhaps the greatest transgressors were his own players, who seemed to believe that their job was done at 1-0.

Of course we've been here before with newly-promoted sides and their support honeymooning on Tyneside, Blackpool, West Ham and indeed Hull coming to mind - this 2013 success a first top-flight away win for the Tigers in 21 attempts and consequently not about the salvation of Steve Bruce.

A home win here would have given Pardew's side ten points from their opening five games; their best return in the top-flight since the 2000/01 season. Instead however, there were strong echoes of previous poor showings with this team and the continued absence of a pattern of play, not to mention ongoing reservations by many over tactics - or lack of them - and use of the bench.

But as one fellow sufferer remarked during the post-match inquest, if we can't beat the likes of these lot, where exactly are the home wins going to come from?

The over-riding thoughts while trudging away were not of the 2008 home loss to Hull and associated "Cockney Mafia" banners though, but rather the defeat at West Brom just over two years later that cost Chris Hughton his job. Messrs Carr and Ashley were at the Hawthorns that day - and within hours Hughton was jettisoned by the club to make way for Pardew.

For that reason alone, losing this game made the current manager vulnerable - unless the chief scout was running the rule over some Hull players, there's no obvious reason for him to be watching Newcastle's first team.

Today's match programme including a page of propaganda attributed to JFK, about as believable as the post-transfer window statement allegedly penned by the manager. If he's not there to help Pardew and value his publicly-stated opinions on the squad, then JFK has another role. Confidante, stooge, agent provocateur, spy - take your pick.

Having failed to convince his superiors into getting anybody but Remy over that mythical line during the last window, Pardew's job consequently ends up being on it far more easily. The madness of Di Canio may now be over, but a taxing quartet of games for United make it unwise to predict who will be occupying either dugout when derby time comes around again in late October. Today didn't help.

Thing is, all the really is is "we still think Pardew's shit, and here's a reason to say it again". By their own admission, a win would have made our best start since 2000. They go over the top on this stuff all the time.

Sure, but I think it was a very significant result and one which will have done Pardew no favours whatsoever with his boss.

Ashley would have been seething, as if expected we'd beaten Hull and gone second it would not only have bought good will from the fans, but with what's going on down the road it would have stopped the north east press criticising anything going on at SJP for a while.

It was a big loss.

Thing is, all the really is is "we still think Pardew's shit, and here's a reason to say it again". By their own admission, a win would have made our best start since 2000. They go over the top on this stuff all the time.

Sure, but I think it was a very significant result and one which will have done Pardew no favours whatsoever with his boss.

Ashley would have been seething, as if expected we'd beaten Hull and gone second it would not only have bought good will from the fans, but with what's going on down the road it would have stopped the north east press criticising anything going on at SJP for a while.

It was a big loss.

Yeah, I agree with that.

It was a big loss.

Ashley won't be seething otherwise he'd act. I guess we'll find out just how bothered Ashley is with Sunderland's next managerial appointment.

Fixtures so far: Man City (A); West Ham (H); Fulham (H); Villa (A); Hull (H).

First game-aside that's a very forgiving start to the season - about as easy as it gets - and we've still dropped 5 points from the last available 12 (again, first game-aside).

First game-aside that's a very forgiving start to the season - about as easy as it gets - and we've still dropped 5 points from the last available 12 (again, first game-aside).

Realistically you could argue we are two points worse off than where we should be but i did think we would come unstuck in one of the first of 3 home games, we’ve came unstuck in two but won in a tough away fixture which I never expected.

Realistically you could argue we are two points worse off than where we should be but i did think we would come unstuck in one of the first of 3 home games, we’ve came unstuck in two but won in a tough away fixture which I never expected.

I'm sorry Brett but Villa aren't world beaters.

How many of their players would start in our side? 2? 3?

Away fixtures all seem tough because of how utterly s*** we were on the road last time out. Villa lost as many home games last year as we did - i.e. the most in the division. It's no more a tough away game than any of the other sides at the bottom of the league.

Our away form is going to have to be mighty impressive this season to keep us up because I see no signs of our home form improving enough to get the required number of points on the board.

Sorry have i mentioned world beaters and Villa in the same sentence somewhere on here? Just assumed with them beating Arsenal away then watching them give Chelsea a run for their money it would be a tough away day. Apologies.

Sorry have i mentioned world beaters and Villa in the same sentence somewhere on here? Just assumed with them beating Arsenal away then watching them give Chelsea a run for their money it would be a tough away day. Apologies.

I just feel that our expectations have been lowered so much we go to places like Villa shaking in our boots that's all.

I just feel that our expectations have been lowered so much we go to places like Villa shaking in our boots that's all.

Well no not at all, if you have a look at my other comments, i'm saying we should be going to Everton and not fearing them, they might be unbeaten but we can still compete. I'm just used to thinking we should be winning home games as a must and points on the road are a bonus however i'm starting to think that this sides style of play might actually be better suited playing away from home where counter attacks are more frequent.

Well no not at all, if you have a look at my other comments, i'm saying we should be going to Everton and not fearing them, they might be unbeaten but we can still compete. I'm just used to thinking we should be winning home games as a must and points on the road are a bonus however i'm starting to think that this sides style of play might actually be better suited playing away from home where counter attacks are more frequent.

Why is that though, Pardew has had plenty of time to mould a style of play.