2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

what about eye-gouging in rugby, how do they view that, as part of the game?

As an illegal offense that shouldn't happen, but does happen in rugby because you grapple with your opponent and there's the possibility of going too far in that respect.  Considered serious in rugby, probably considered much more serious in cricket.  There's clear rules for punishments for eye-gouging in the code of rugby, so even though it's an illegal act it's part of the sport in that respect.

:lol:

Players will get elbowed going in for a challenge, players will wind each other up and stick a head in, they'll kick out in frustration. It happens and they'll be banned accordingly. If they go overboard they'll be banned for longer, ie Ben Thatcher. Biting people is a different matter altogether.

amazed at how relaxed people are about headbutts like, suppose they're rarely the same as the type of headbutt you'd get down the biggmarket like but still....being "wound up" is literally no excuse and imo they should be treated as harshly as biting...same for a standing elbow where say 2 players are jostling together and one decides to elbow the other off the ball, ban the fuck out of them

Guest firetotheworks

nee1 come up with a decent Algerian pun yet?

I thought about it but I knew all of the replies would be all jeers.

I'm not relaxed about headbutts? They're an automatic 3 match ban, it's hardly a slap on the wrist.

so the point was made about peppe earlier, on his 3rd headbutt in the game or whatever and gets a 1 game ban...total bollocks

he hardly touched him though, yes there was intent there, more as intimidation than to hurt Mueller.

I'm not relaxed about headbutts? They're an automatic 3 match ban, it's hardly a slap on the wrist.

so the point was made about peppe earlier, on his 3rd headbutt in the game or whatever and gets a 1 game ban...total bollocks

Aye Pepe should have been banned for longer, I'm not sure if FIFA have set bans for violent conduct like the FA do but 1 game seems pointless. You get that for an innocuous foul in one game and taking your shirt off in the next.

he hardly touched him though, yes there was intent there, more as intimidation than to hurt Mueller.

It doesn't matter, at least in the Premiership. I hate bans personally, I think they ruin the sport for the most part but anything regarding violent conduct should be treat seriously.

EDIT: When I say I hate bans I mean for things such as picking up 5 yellow cards etc.

Headbutts and elbows aren't a part of the game, hence why you receive bans and fines for them.

Suarez should have received a longer ban. The 4 month ban should only commence once Liverpool have kicked off their first game of the season. Suarez lost total control and should be forced into anger management and possible psychiatric treatment if needed. I think it is.

Headbutts and elbows aren't a part of the game, hence why you receive bans and fines for them.

Suarez should have received a longer ban. The 4 month ban should only commence once Liverpool have kicked off their first game of the season. Suarez lost total control and should be forced into anger management and possible psychiatric treatment if needed. I think it is.

thank fuck :lol:

It doesn't matter, at least in the Premiership. I hate bans personally, I think they ruin the sport for the most part but anything regarding violent conduct should be treat seriously.

EDIT: When I say I hate bans I mean for things such as picking up 5 yellow cards etc.

I suppose it is a difference in opinion and I understand your point of view. I also watch alot of AFL here in Australia and the suspensions are judged upon the intent, the area of impact (head, throat, body etc.) and severity of impact. I suppose any violent conduct involving an attack of a persons head does deserve to be treated more seriously. I have no sympathy for Suarez though, he got what he deserves.

You receive bans and fines for heavy tackles too. It's a contact sport, you expect people to be elbowed when challenging for the ball, you expect headbutts when things get heated, and these things predictably happen all of the time. People don't run and forearm smash opponents like Ben Thatcher did all of the time like, or nut with the ferocity of Zinedine Zidane, or bite people. These things are unique in the sport.

with a headbutt or an elbow you'd rarely be in control enough to know the type of damage you're going to inflict as well, the face is a very fragile area of the body if hit in the right/wrong way...to say he hardly touched him or whatever just doesn't cut it for me, treat them all very harshly, biting harsher than everything else if you like but the game is way too light on headbutts and elbows if they're dishing out punishments like this for biting tbh

Guest firetotheworks

That's a bit naive though. Headbutts are often just people locking horns or tapping each other on the forehead. Elbows are often innocuous or part of a player trying to keep their balance. There's nothing innocuous, accidental or anything else where biting is concerned. Elbows and headbutts really are part of the game because of how often there's the possibility of it happening and the sometimes unclear nature of whether it was deliberate. Biting is different.