2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Must've been the only one to enjoy Ghana-USA. 2nd half was quality, Ghana knocking on the door constantly, albeit with a total lack of any sort of intelligence whatsoever. Pure greed took over, some astronomically thick/selfish shots. But generally they were very energetic and USA were lucky to win. But win they did, thought the likes of Johnson and Cameron impressed.

However... Robbie Savage being able to express any sort of opinion on football, let alone co-commentate at the World Cup. :anguish:

Nah it was a good game i thought, only helped by the late US winner and the scenes that followed.  :laugh:

First day where I'm not overly enthused for any of the games. Three uninspiring, comfortable wins me thinks.

Hopefully there are a few surprises and teams going for it.

Really looking forward to Brazil-Mexico. The latter should've had 3 against Cameroon if not for some dodgy officiating. Both teams play pretty football, hopefully Mexico doesn't get overrun.

They were rank rotten but had to happen eventually. Worried Russia - S.Korea might stink the place out too.

Think it might be a good game. Korea always do quite well (relatively) in the WC tournament. Plus they are my 4th seed. Germany, Holland & Spain have all won so far, want a clean sweep first round.

We're pretty shit this year.

Well, shit is a bit unfair but it is a transitional year. We have a very young team (basically just the 2012 London Bronze Medal team with a few more youngster stapled on) and a new coach. These aren't bad players but most are completely inexperienced at this level and it will take time for them to get used to the quality and shake off the jitters. There's a very prevalent tendency to make stupid mistakes and I think we'll see at least once defensive shocker between the three games.

The fullbacks are the critical weakness. The "Korean style" requires very good overlapping fullbacks to function and all of our fullbacks this year are coming off injury or in terrible form. They have very poor positional sense in general and either leave the wingers isolated up front or fail to track back and leave massive gaping holes in the defense.

The performance against Ghana a week ago wasn't pretty at all and I don't think things could have improved all that much in such a short time. By all accounts Russia and Algeria are pretty shit as well but our biggest enemy is ourselves.

:thup:

Will Kim Shin-Wook play? I want to enjoy how tall he is.

Probably not, he's not favored by the coach and only shows up for 5~10 minute spells at the end of games. It's a shame because he'd be a very useful option by now if he was given more international experience.

he looks like a big, massive, long idiot.

He's actually quite good and has been ripping the Korean league to shreds for 2~3 years now. It's unfortunate that the FA/coach seem to basically ignore domestic-league performances for selection purposes.

He's actually quite good and has been ripping the Korean league to shreds for 2~3 years now. It's unfortunate that the FA/coach seem to basically ignore domestic-league performances for selection purposes.

I'm currently living with a Korean guy in Singapore oldtype, we are waking up at 6am to watch the game. Hes very pessimistic after the Ghana friendly last week.

I'm currently living with a Korean guy in Singapore oldtype, we are waking up at 6am to watch the game. Hes very pessimistic after the Ghana friendly last week.

As he rightfully should be. I don't think we're a worse team than Russia but they are clearly better prepared.

Looking forward to see if Belgium can live up to the hype

Tbf beating Algeria will hardly tell us much.

True. They have been handed such an easy group man. Will face number 2 of the Germany/Portugal/USA/Ghana group. That will be their first big test.

As he rightfully should be. I don't think we're a worse team than Russia but they are clearly better prepared.

I agree. Its a really talented squad, with most of your team playing at some big clubs. I'll be cheering you on, us Asian Confeds have to stick together (except Japan ;) )

I read somewhere Russia lost four of their best players to injury in the last few weeks. Not sure how that counts as good preparation.