2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

All countries have industries that employ illegal immigrants at lower wages in jobs that unemployed nationals are "too good for." It's not perfect, but it's also quite a bit different than institutionalized slavery, which is what is happening in Qatar. And simply because we in the developed world have our own faults doesn't mean Qatar is exempt from criticism, particularly since the degree of severity is far higher.

Oh absolutely not, I'm just saying that while we criticize Qatar, we should just take a look at our own situation. No country is perfect. What I was talking about isn't illegal immigrants at lower wages, I was talking about pure slavery, force people to work until they need medical attention and then just don't give a fuck about them btw.

Belgium next team in. Scary team, so much potential, but I think a bit too unexperienced to cause any major problems. People might think they might be the surprise package, but they have good enough players to go far.

Won't forget the 2002 against Belgium. Definitely Brazil's hardest match in the tournament. Think it was the only game where we looked actually capable of losing.

So many people are calling them the surprise package, they're becoming one of the favourites ;D

On paper though, there aren't many better.

I don't know, on paper I'd argue there's at least 5 teams that are better and four of them are better with a bit of margin. I like Belgium, having lived there half my life, but I still doubt the quality of that midfield to create.

For all the talk of how good their team is/could be, it's worth remembering it'll be their first tournament in 12 years. That sense of a team with no fear could be one of the biggest factors in their favour.

They were 4th faves with the bookies last time I checked.

:lol: ridiculous for a team untested at tournament level and no full backs.

Can't be man, Argentina, Italy, Spain, Brazil and Germany must surely be favourites. I mean what bookie is that??

Can't be man, Argentina, Italy, Spain, Brazil and Germany must surely be favourites. I mean what bookie is that??

Was in/around the last qualifiers I think. I mentioned it on here. Incredulous.

EDIT:

Oh, and why are Spain 11/2 for the World Cup next year? :lol:

Belgium 5th favourites :lol:

Was close, still are too: http://www.oddschecker.com/football/world-cup/outrights/world-cup/winner

Guest palnese

Colombia at their first WC since 1998.

Can't wait to see Valderrama, like.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/league/files/image_nodes/2013/09/Valderrama%20pink.png

I still can't get over the Belgium/Colombia being seeded situation. Not in a World Cup since 2002 and 1998 respectively.

England are a regular knockout phase team and Holland - runners up in 2010 - qualify for every tournament with insane ease.

It's madder than Norway's seeding this time round. :lol:

Be a cracking playoff but it'd be great for the neutral to see Egypt (who've been sorely missed during their prime at the WC) and Ghana both there but nevermind.

It is a rubbish qualification system without doubt. However, it is more the symptom of a region that massively underachieved as a whole on the world stage. We have 54 countries, maybe fifteen to twenty of which are serious football nations with either significant amounts of talent or deep history, and only five spots. The last three qualification rounds starting with 2006 (Ghana, Egypt, and Cameroon in one group for one spot! :lol: equivalent to Germany, Italy, and Netherlands) have been unsatisfying and controversial because the real answer is that we need more spots. However, the consistent failure means we have done little to earn them and may actually deserve to lose one to SA or Asia. A big tournament for the continent this time.

Was in/around the last qualifiers I think. I mentioned it on here. Incredulous.

EDIT:

Oh, and why are Spain 11/2 for the World Cup next year? :lol:

Belgium 5th favourites :lol:

Was close, still are too: http://www.oddschecker.com/football/world-cup/outrights/world-cup/winner

Every tournament since 1994 a relatively unfavoured European team (usually a big team lacking form or a young one lacking profile) has made the semifinals. Good bets would be the likes of France, Russia, Switzerland, Croatia, and Belgium.

It also would not surprise me at all to see 2 or 3 African sides in the knockout rounds this time (hopefully one finally in the semis) or one of the smaller South American nations threatening to win it.

I still can't get over the Belgium/Colombia being seeded situation. Not in a World Cup since 2002 and 1998 respectively.

England are a regular knockout phase team and Holland - runners up in 2010 - qualify for every tournament with insane ease.

It's madder than Norway's seeding this time round. :lol:

Don't think it really matters when either Belgium or Colombia were in the last World Cup... or how good England were 4 or 8 years ago. IMO the teams seeded should be the ones that are the best teams right now. And so I have no problems with either Belgium or Colombia being seeded. (Both have been impressive.)  Admittedly, the Dutch missing out is problematic. But I really can't fathom how anyone can think that England have merited a top seed.

Here is something mad.

If Switzerland beat Slovenia, and Uruguay fails to beat Argentina .... then Switzerland will move to the top 8 replacing Uruguay.

Irrelevant of the score between Turkey and Netherlands, Switzerland will have 2 points ahead of Holland for the upcoming ranking providing both teams win their last game. Switzerland for TOP SEED !

Here is something mad.

If Switzerland beat Slovenia, and Uruguay fails to beat Argentina .... then Switzerland will move to the top 8 replacing Uruguay.

Irrelevant of the score between Turkey and Netherlands, Switzerland will have 2 points ahead of Holland for the upcoming ranking providing both teams win their last game. Switzerland for TOP SEED !

The Swiss team is extremely organized and strong. Been seriously impressed whenever I've seen them. Hitzfeld has done a really good job there.

Here is something mad.

Insanity.

Here is something mad.

The Swiss team is extremely organized and strong. Been seriously impressed whenever I've seen them. Hitzfeld has done a really good job there.

So getting a top manager can really make a difference. NUFC should try that formula again...