Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest tollemache

@SanToon:

I'm not doing that. It's just a trend - a guide. One way of demonstrating that Newcastle are *roughly* the 7th, 8th or 9th strongest team in the Premier League. Another way of doing it is to use your eyes and brain, and look at the sides above us who are clearly stronger. Whichever way you want to do it, that's roughly our place in the league right now. The original point, way back in the day, was that the media are not going to suggest that Pardew has underperformed in his job if he finishes 8th or 9th. Because that is, in broad terms, where we are expected to finish. Nobody in here has yet argued against that by suggesting we should be expected to finish higher, because in order to do that you have to say it's reasonable to set us the target of finishing above Spurs, Liverpool or whoever, and it's not.

the teams 1st-6th to 7th etc is a lot greater than ours, that's fine.

The problem is there is no ambitions to close that gap, there is no attempt to even try to bridge that gap.

There are only desires to stay and where we are.  That's the problem,  whether that's good enough for you that is your choice.  For the rest of us we want more.  And it's not really asking for a lot just to try.

Yeah, I agree, if you don't try to improve (within your means) then that's not acceptable. I was only talking about this season, and what would've been reasonable expectations. In our case, about 8th.

It's realistically going to take a huuuuge amount of spending / effort for us to break into the top 6 though. Teams regularly spend £100m in a summer just to stay there. For now, I'm happy if we keep our transfer policy going, make money on players *and* reinvest it, whether that's on transfer fees or wages - tbh hopefully wages because ideally we pick up players for a lot less than their eventual value and sell them on when we're paying them £60k a week. If we do that for a few years we may end up in a position to build a first XI peppered with the £15m - £20m players you need to threaten the top 4. I want to see us trying as well, I think I just have a slightly different idea of what that means to most. The last thing I want us to do, for example, is go out and spunk £100m on a team to get into the top 4 if we can't sustain it and will then have to sell those players on the cheap. That makes no sense if we eventually want to be a fixture at that end of the table.

Whether Mike Ashley wants the same thing I do is a separate question. I can't imagine him not wanting the value of the club to increase though, and the obvious way to do that is to try and go from being a top 9 club to being a fixture in Europe.

Guest tollemache

Conversation wouldn't have lasted this long if people hadn't argued against a very innocuous and valid point on ridiculously shoddy grounds tbh, you great lemon.

Who's saying we should spunk 100M on a team? Also very odd that you'd prefer this situation where we don't buy players at all to improve our standing compared to splashing money to get 4th place and then having to sell those players on the cheap. Forget sustainable success, we're not even trying man!

How did we finish 5th that time without spending hundreds of billions?

We overperformed, which brings us to everyone elses conclusion that it's not only wages that factor in, but injuries, managers, and 50 other things.

be specific?

Specifically it wouldn't take an awful lot of money to break into the top 6, we did it two seasons ago and Everton look like doing it this season.

And why does it bother you how much we spend?

We finished 16th last season and nearly got relegated. How did that compare to the strength of our squad? :lol:

It was a massive underperformance

We overperformed, which brings us to everyone elses conclusion that it's not only wages that factor in, but injuries, managers, and 50 other things.

So if 5th is overperforming and 16th is underperforming, what is our level?

Guest tollemache

Teams under and over perform, yes. We were talking about reasonable expectations though, i.e; what would you say was a reasonable target for team X, and where would you generally expect them to finish.

"But we finished really high once!" Yep

"And we finished really low this other time!" Yep

That's not really the point.

We finished 16th last season and nearly got relegated. How did that compare to the strength of our squad? :lol:

Not 8th with basic maths ;)

Guest tollemache

About 7th - 9th. What do YOU think it is?

About 7th - 9th. What do YOU think it is?

10th and a half.

Guest tollemache

Not 8th with basic maths ;)

Your basic maths are wrong :(