Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest tollemache

...but the deal went through about 4 days before the end of the window, at a time when we were marooned in a battle for 8th or 9th. In all seriousness, if we don't do some good business in the summer I will be a bit livid, but I didn't see the point of necessarily doing it in January and getting ripped off / not getting the player we wanted. Had Grenier not decided to stay, it would've been a different story anyway.

...but the deal went through about 4 days before the end of the window, at a time when we were marooned in a battle for 8th or 9th. In all seriousness, if we don't do some good business in the summer I will be a bit livid, but I didn't see the point of necessarily doing it in January and getting ripped off / not getting the player we wanted. Had Grenier not decided to stay, it would've been a different story anyway.

Did you see my post in the Ben Arfa thread?  I've stuck it below.  I seriously think this humming and harring causes us to tread water for painfully long stretches.

I'm not sure whether/why it's acceptable to go half a season without adequate cover in important positions, and when you consider that (especially foreign) players often take time to settle in it's going to be a very long term strategy indeed if we continue doing this.  We've already seen this situation a few times - waiting half a season while we got our shit together and/or wait for prices to go down, e.g. risking relegation in our first season back up by having Best/Ameobi/Lovenkrands/Kuqi as our forwards when Carroll left, or only buying Anita after we finished 5th when we most certainly needed more with a European campaign to contend with.

We move at a snail's pace when it comes to transfers and it often hamstrings the team, causing us to plod along rather than push on and do anything remotely meaningful.

Guest tollemache

It's possible. If in September I look at our lineup and see that it's gone downhill compared to the last 3 years I'll have to conclude that we're not making enough effort.

It's possible. If in September I look at our lineup and see that it's gone downhill compared to the last 3 years I'll have to conclude that we're not making enough effort.

We haven't signed a player on a permanent deal for 2 whole transfer windows. Do you conclude that we are making sufficient effort you absolute fucking imbecile?

Guest tollemache

Did you see my post in the Ben Arfa thread?  I've stuck it below.  I seriously think this humming and harring causes us to tread water for painfully long stretches.

I'm not sure whether/why it's acceptable to go half a season without adequate cover in important positions, and when you consider that (especially foreign) players often take time to settle in it's going to be a very long term strategy indeed if we continue doing this.  We've already seen this situation a few times - waiting half a season while we got our shit together and/or wait for prices to go down, e.g. risking relegation in our first season back up by having Best/Ameobi/Lovenkrands/Kuqi as our forwards when Carroll left, or only buying Anita after we finished 5th when we most certainly needed more with a European campaign to contend with.

We move at a snail's pace when it comes to transfers and it often hamstrings the team, causing us to plod along rather than push on and do anything remotely meaningful.

Yep, I think we're incredibly cautious in the market and that sometimes causes us to stall slightly. The team has kept improving though (on paper I mean). As far as this January goes, I really would rather get a good player for a good price in the summer than panic in the January window and start moving down the list, or just throwing loads of money at our top options to force the issue. If we finish 9th as opposed to 8th this year, but get someone like Grenier with money to spare to go for another good player, that's better. Maybe it does come down to shoddy planning - perhaps we could've sounded Grenier out better before the window, or any number of other things that would've boosted our chances of replacing Cabaye quickly and effectively - I don't know.

Guest tollemache

We haven't signed a player on a permanent deal for 2 whole transfer windows. Do you conclude that we are making sufficient effort you absolute fucking imbecile?

Not responding to that. Arsehole.

We haven't signed a player on a permanent deal for 2 whole transfer windows. Do you conclude that we are making sufficient effort you absolute f***ing imbecile?

:-) (he's angry now)

We haven't signed a player on a permanent deal for 2 whole transfer windows. Do you conclude that we are making sufficient effort you absolute f***ing imbecile?

:-) (he's angry now)

Trollemache (i meant)

Not responding to that. Arsehole.

Your trip to Croatia must be fascinating.

Yep, I think we're incredibly cautious in the market and that sometimes causes us to stall slightly. The team has kept improving though (on paper I mean).

On paper is where the game is really played for accountancy fans.  Unfortunately on the grass we have Shola Ameobi.

As far as this January goes, I really would rather get a good player for a good price in the summer than panic in the January window and start moving down the list, or just throwing loads of money at our top options to force the issue.

Yes, those are the only options available to us.  Get a bargain or LEEDS PORTSMOUTH WAAAAAAAAA.

If we finish 9th as opposed to 8th this year, but get someone like Grenier with money to spare to go for another good player, that's better. Maybe it does come down to shoddy planning - perhaps we could've sounded Grenier out better before the window, or any number of other things that would've boosted our chances of replacing Cabaye quickly and effectively - I don't know.

Get Grenier :yao:

Replace Cabaye :yao:

Suppose it's a good thing we sold Cabaye after the season was already over and we didn't have any more games to play.

Guest tollemache

Yep, I think we're incredibly cautious in the market and that sometimes causes us to stall slightly. The team has kept improving though (on paper I mean).

On paper is where the game is really played for accountancy fans.  Unfortunately on the grass we have Shola Ameobi.

Er the players written on the paper play on the grass too

Guest tollemache

I'm not here for a holiday you berk

You just there for a quick visit to have a look around to see if a Summer holiday is feasible?

???

er. yes. ok then, yes I am. I am the advance party. I'm writing a dossier even as we speak, recommending that my friends and family spend their summer browsing forums on Croatia's excellent broadband.

As much as his opinion has hijacked / sidetracked one of the more important threads on the board, you have to admire the tenacity and courage in his conviction he is showing here!! Even If only for entertainment value...

Trollemache:

Will.

Not.

Cave

:clap: