Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I've criticised Pardew a lot because for large parts of the last 18 months he's been s*** but he couldn't have done much more today. We created the best chances, missed some sitters and even in the second half I thought we look more likely to grab a second than concede.

It is amusing to see loads of people whinge about Pardew's perceived negativity and they only scored because our full back and centre back were f***ing about on the edge of their final third when they broke :lol:

We only looked more likely to grab a second once they'd equalised. First fifteen minutes of the second half were awful and that's what cost us. We sat extremely deep and gave them the initiative when we really didn't need to. I thought Southampton were rotten in the first half.

They scored when we were pressing man. They caught us on the break. The goal wasn't a result of pressure that had been building the entire half, it was Santon trying a chip from 30 yards out when nee f***er was behind him to clear up his mess.

Purely because it was a set piece, we werent pressing them whatsoever 2nd half until they scored. We were taking pressure.

Were we taking pressure because Pardew's shit or Southampton are actually a pretty good side who excel at retaining and recycling possession, particularly when they need a goal?

Do some of our supporters genuinely expect us to sit on the front foot for 90 minutes? Yes, we often perform poorly after HT but this isn't Norwich. Pardew really can't take much if any flack for today.

As for the negative stuff, we were actively looking for a second when we conceded the equaliser. Actually if we were a bit more negative and kept more men back we'd probably not have drew today.

I've criticised Pardew a lot because for large parts of the last 18 months he's been s*** but he couldn't have done much more today. We created the best chances, missed some sitters and even in the second half I thought we look more likely to grab a second than concede.

It is amusing to see loads of people whinge about Pardew's perceived negativity and they only scored because our full back and centre back were f***ing about on the edge of their final third when they broke :lol:

How could he not have done much more today?  We were pissed on by Swansea and he later admitted that we'd tried to play too direct so had told the players to play a possession game against Man U where we bossed the game and won.  Could he not have done the same again today?  It looks like Southampton had almost as much of the game as Swansea had and they were the away team. 

I can't believe that he came up with a way to beat Man U a week ago yet couldn't even carry that into the next game.

How could he not have done much more today?  We were pissed on by Swansea and he later admitted that we'd tried to play too direct so had told the players to play a possession game against Man U where we bossed the game and won.  Could he not have done the same again today?  It looks like Southampton had almost as much of the game as Swansea had and they were the away team. 

I can't believe that he came up with a way to beat Man U a week ago yet couldn't even carry that into the next game.

Please tell me what you would've done differently today, because from where I was sat it looked like we created twice as many chances as Southampton and on another day we'd have ran out comfortable winners.

It's shit like this that makes us look like mugs. We're fucking sixth. Pardew will continue to make mistakes because every manager does, however today I can't really fault the bloke.

Please tell me what you would've done differently today, because from where I was sat it looked like we created twice as many chances as Southampton and on another day we'd have ran out comfortable winners.

It's s*** like this that makes us look like mugs. We're f***ing sixth. Pardew will continue to make mistakes because every manager does, however today I can't really fault the bloke.

I would have started with Ben Arfa instead of shola and I would have told the players to retain possession like we did against Man U.  I've said that in the post that you replied to so I don't know why you have to even ask the question.

It's s*** like this that makes us look like mugs. We're f***ing sixth. Pardew will continue to make mistakes because every manager does, however today I can't really fault the bloke.

I would have started with Ben Arfa instead of shola and I would have told the players to retain possession like we did against Man U.  I've said that in the post that you replied to so I don't know why you have to even ask the question.

So not only are you assuming Pardew didn't ask/want the players to do that but that's the level of your tactical nous?

Don't give up the day job, mate :lol:

So not only are you assuming Pardew didn't ask/want the players to do that but that's the level of your tactical nous?

The players only do what he tells them when it works, when it doesn't it's the players fault, I get it.  And starting Shola doesn't point to us wanting to keep possession, it points to us playing the way that we did.

The players only do what he tells them when it works, when it doesn't it's the players fault, I get it.  And starting Shola doesn't point to us wanting to keep possession, it points to us playing the way that we did.

Oh, so you're going down the "Pardew apologist" route because I'm defending him from ridiculous criticism today, despite the fact I was calling for his head not three months ago? Funnily enough the complete opposite of what you accuse me of is prevalent on this website - when we win it's in spite of Pardew, never because of him.

I don't have a problem with starting Shola over HBA and I'm not sure why anyone else would when you consider the way both players have performed in recent week, the older Ameobi leading the line during wins again Chelsea, Norwich, Spurs and WBA.

You still haven't told us what tactical masterclass you'd have thrown down today either. Howay man, enlighten me.

How could he not have done much more today?  We were p*ssed on by Swansea and he later admitted that we'd tried to play too direct so had told the players to play a possession game against Man U where we bossed the game and won.  Could he not have done the same again today?  It looks like Southampton had almost as much of the game as Swansea had and they were the away team. 

Assuming no injuries or too much fatigue;

Sub in HBA for Shola at around 60, keep Gouff and put Remy up top. If someone needed to get off, get in Sammy before any of the other.

Alternatively take out Gouff and put in HBA.

Papiss is such a massive liability, all he does atm is slowing down the play by running into offside.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I think Mick's tactical spectrum is as follows -

Direct/Non Direct

Positive/Negative

Like a really old, shit Champ Man.

Oh, so you're going down the "Pardew apologist" route because I'm defending him from ridiculous criticism today, despite the fact I was calling for his head not three months ago? Funnily enough the complete opposite of what you accuse me of is prevalent on this website - when we win it's in spite of Pardew, never because of him.

I don't have a problem with starting Shola over HBA and I'm not sure why anyone else would when you consider the way both players have performed in recent week, the older Ameobi leading the line during wins again Chelsea, Norwich, Spurs and WBA.

You still haven't told us what tactical masterclass you'd have thrown down today either. Howay man, enlighten me.

Pardew was given nothing but praise between the Man U win and before the game today so I don't know how you can claim that we win it's in spite of him.  It didn't need a tactical masterclass to win today so why do you keep asking for one.  He found a way to beat Man U and abandoned it the very next game, is that too difficult to comprehend?

As for you not having a problem with his starting Shola over Ben Arfa, that's your choice and not one that I share.

Here's a problem. There isn't many goals in this team. And that's not all Pardew's fault like.

There's only Man U outside the top 5 who've scored more than us.

Happy Face would be proud. That stat is down to Remy. If he's off his game...we don't have many different players who can score. Gouffran and Cabaye are good for a few. Shola and Cisse may never score again.  We don't have any defenders who can chip in. It's a problem. Everton had four different scorers today.

It's not like Remy has been scoring screamers like Cisse. A lot of them have been finishes from chances created for him. And what's the difference between Remy & Gouffran getting the bulk of ours and say, Sturridge & Suarez, Giroud & Ramsey and Rooney & RvP at other clubs?

Fair enough if you're happy with our striking options. I'm not. Gouffran is doing his best but if Remy stops scoring we don't have the player or players to take up the slack. Everton knocked in 4 today and Lukaku wasnt among them.

The teams you've listed carry far more goal threat throughout the team too. Gerard. Ozil. Mertesacker is a goal machine compared to our lot.

Pardew was given nothing but praise between the Man U win and before the game today so I don't know how you can claim that we win it's in spite of him.  It didn't need a tactical masterclass to win today so why do you keep asking for one.  He found a way to beat Man U and abandoned it the very next game, is that too difficult to comprehend?

As for you not having a problem with his starting Shola over Ben Arfa, that's your choice and not one that I share.

Pardew gets very little credit on here, there's almost always a "but" followed by any praise.

Southampton and Man United are two different teams that play two very different games. If it was just a case of mirroring performances week on week this management lark would be a piece of piss but guess what? It's not.

Pardew was exactly the same as he usually is, Man U aside.

Just so happens that remy missed chances. In that respect it isn't pardews fault but we really should be closing out games better, so overall this, in conjunction with many other performances, is pardews fault.

He's got it in him looking at the Manchester game, which makes it all the more frustrating.

Pardew gets very little credit on here, there's almost always a "but" followed by any praise.

Southampton and Man United are two different teams that play two very different games. If it was just a case of mirroring performances week on week this management lark would be a piece of p*ss but guess what? It's not.

Swansea and Southampton aren't that far apart with the way that they play, he claimed to have learned something against Swansea and it worked and lasted one week, one game.  I understand that you have to have more about you than one game plan, that doesn't mean you have to abandon something every time you play a different team.

We have good enough players to play the way we did against Man U and I think we would do well playing that way.

Southampton and Man United are two different teams that play two very different games. If it was just a case of mirroring performances week on week this management lark would be a piece of p*ss but guess what? It's not.

Swansea and Southampton aren't that far apart with the way that they play, he claimed to have learned something against Swansea and it worked and lasted one week, one game.  I understand that you have to have more about you than one game plan, that doesn't mean you have to abandon something every time you play a different team.

We have good enough players to play the way we did against Man U and I think we would do well playing that way.

The difference between the Swansea & Southampton games is huge. We played poorly down there, we played decent and had chances up here, while restricting them to one clear cut chance and a 30-yarder which can happen in a game.