Remy Cabella

Yaron

Chances of this unfortunately falling through following the sale of Cabaye seem very high to me. Couldn't get it 'over the line'.

That post sends a shudder down my spine ........................Ashley wouldn't would he ?

Never mind his talent can he run and jump? Has he got a tackle and does he track back?

Priorities.

Run: Yes

Jump: No

Tacke: No

Track back: NO

---------------------

Closest Match: Hatem Ben Arfa

---------------------

Destination: Bench, (Only to be used in case of emergency)

What incentive is there for Ashley to make an investment at this point? Barring losses in every match until the end of the season, we're staying up rather comfortably with the squad we have and even if we flog Cabaye. If we go through with the latter and still manage to finish around mid-table, I'm not sure they'd be looking to invest in the summer either, unless we depleted the squad depth further (which isn't outside the realm of possibilities, dropping Marveaux, Obertan, etc.)

What incentive is there for Ashley to make an investment at this point? Barring losses in every match until the end of the season, we're staying up rather comfortably with the squad we have and even if we flog Cabaye. If we go through with the latter and still manage to finish around mid-table, I'm not sure they'd be looking to invest in the summer either, unless we depleted the squad depth further (which isn't outside the realm of possibilities, dropping Marveaux, Obertan, etc.)

I do think he has an interest in maintaining a reasonably competitive squad in the 8th~10th range through minimal investment so he maximizes positive exposure for his brand (better image, more TV games) and doesn't risk future relegation.

Where we are about now is the "sweet spot" where Ashley would like us to be.

I do think he has an interest in maintaining a reasonably competitive squad in the 8th~10th range through minimal investment so he maximizes positive exposure for his brand (better image, more TV games) and doesn't risk future relegation.

So I guess we'd have to hope again for relegation flirtation to spur him on. Great.

I know I'm rehashing old debates here, but it's still depressing.

So I guess we'd have to hope again for relegation flirtation to spur him on. Great.

Just abandon all hope, less stressful that way.

Exactly right. Low maintenance, profitable and potentially attractive to a buyer enabling a healthy profit upon completion of sale.

Did we magic up a top 5 quality side (according to at least one person on here) out of thin air?

Ashley's not some evil lunatic ffs. If we can get better players for a realistic price, of course we'll invest.

Did we magic up a top 5 quality side  (according to some) out of thin air?

Ashley's not some evil lunatic ffs. If we can get better players for a realistic price, of course we'll invest.

I think we hit a perfect storm of conditions that season. Best way I can put it.

He's not some mad scientist, but it's pretty widely accepted that he doesn't accept 5th place, and since he won't commit to pushing us above that, we have to settle for 6th-mid-table. And a half-assed attempts in the cups, which amount to nothing.

Did we magic up a top 5 quality side (according to at least one person on here) out of thin air?

Where's your evidence that we'll ever spend more than we bring in on transfers?

Guest bimpy474

Well no, we could get players for realistic prices but our valuations fall below that. We're tighter than a Nun's bumhole unless a player is very cheap. Cisse aside i cant think of one who's come in in the last couple of years for what they're really worth. Maybe Anita. But Debuchy, Sissoko, Gouffran, MYM, Cabaye and even Santon to an extent have all come in under their real worth imo..

Well no, we could get players for realistic prices but our valuations fall below that. We're tighter than a Nun's bumhole unless a player is very cheap. Cisse aside i cant think of one who's come in in the last couple of years for what they're really worth. Maybe Anita. But Debuchy, Sissoko, Gouffran, MYM, Cabaye and even Santon to an extent have all come in under their real worth imo..

you know normally thats considered a good thing

I think we hit a perfect storm of conditions that season. Best way I can put it.

He's not some mad scientist, but it's pretty widely accepted that he doesn't accept 5th place, and since he won't commit to pushing us above that, we have to settle for 6th-mid-table. And a half-assed attempts in the cups, which amount to nothing.

The 5th thing's tongue in cheek. Chopey believes the current first team to be top 5 quality as it stands.

The situation with our transfer policy has always been the same. It's fantastic for us as long as we keep finding the right bargain players. The argument about how much we should flex it is essentially impossible to have, nobody knows enough to make an educated case.

Guest bimpy474

you know normally thats considered a good thing

I agree, we've done brilliant and the powers that be need praising for it but since Cisse we dont throw in a well, a Cisse type transfer. It's seems now solely about bargains and cheapness. Ambition i suppose but that Cisse type transfer on top of bargain hunting is the difference between us finishing 8th and challenging for the top 4 imo.

Everton with the McCarthy transfer as an example for other clubs trying to get there, Southampton with Osvaldo.

The 5th thing's tongue in cheek. Chopey believes the current first team to be top 5 quality as it stands.

Chopey's been huffing fairy farts lately.

The situation with our transfer policy has always been the same. It's fantastic for us as long as we keep finding the right bargain players. The argument about how much we should flex it is essentially impossible to have, nobody knows enough to make an educated case.

It's fantastic if your greatest ambition is a mid-table club with ship-shape finances. I suppose the alternative, a mid-table club with loads tied-up in mediocre players, is worse, but...

I'd be okay with it if we had assurances from Ashley that he intended to get everything financially sound before dropping big money, when it might do less damage were it to fail.

But that's not really his ambition, I don't think.

WTF

Guest bimpy474

WTF

He's right, you big puff.

WTF

:lol: ;)

Eh, none. Not sure where you got that from, I'd be absolutely staggered if that happened as I can't see us spending more that the club can finance itself any more.

I do believe the quality of the team has got progressively better over recent seasons. If that's the case, then I'd say that's evidence enough that we're not adverse to investing in players and improving.

Guest bimpy474

Eh, none. Not sure where you got that from, I'd be absolutely staggered if that happened as I can't see us spending more that the club can finance itself any more.

I do believe the quality of the team has got progressively better over recent seasons. If that's the case, I'd say that's evidence we're not adverse to investing an in players and improving.

You're correct but i think clubs see us coming now, we need to tweak our approach a bit.