Newcastle United 1 - 0 Aston Villa - 23/02/14 - post-match reaction from Page 35

BlueStar

I celebrated like a madman when that goal went in, knocked my drink flying all over the place and everything :lol:

Of course it doesn't change anything or right any of the wrongs at the club but if you can't celebrate a good thing after all the s*** results and everything else we've had then what's the point? I think some people just revel in the misery and negativity.

Not Really  :lol: You cant force yourself to celebrate. I smiled as it happens. I felt no particualr need to jump around.

I've never celebrated my side scoring a winning goal less, like. 38 points, 40 points, does it really matter?

If someone said in the summer that you'd score a last minute winner at home to Villa to move you up to 8th place and 5 points behind Everton/Man Utd, you'd have been snapping that up.

Think events throughout the past few month have took a shine off what has been to date a good league campaign. It would take something special to jump from near relegation to a top 6 place within a season. There was an outside chance of it if we kept Cabaye and spent money but Ashley put an end to that. Man Utd look back to full strength now and you would fancy them to kick on for rest of season to seal top 6. Would leave the race to us, Everton and Southampton to win the place for 7th even if there isn't much dif between that and 10th.

I've never celebrated my side scoring a winning goal less, like. 38 points, 40 points, does it really matter?

If someone said in the summer that you'd score a last minute winner at home to Villa to move you up to 8th place and 5 points behind Everton/Man Utd, you'd have been snapping that up.

Think events throughout the past few month have took a shine off what has been to date a good league campaign. It would take something special to jump from near relegation to a top 6 place within a season. There was an outside chance of it if we kept Cabaye and spent money but Ashley put an end to that. Man Utd look back to full strength now and you would fancy them to kick on for rest of season to seal top 6. Would leave the race to us, Everton and Southampton to win the place for 7th even if there isn't much dif between that and 10th.

Not sure if you genuinely just don't get it, or if you're on the wind up, Brett.

"It would take something special to jump from near relegation to a top 6 place within a season"

I mean what?

Not sure if you genuinely just don't get it, or if you're on the wind up, Brett.

"It would take something special to jump from near relegation to a top 6 place within a season"

I mean what?

Well if we aren't bothered about a last min winner taking us to 8th place, we aren't arsed for this position then. Therefore we expect to be top 6 rather than our season being over by March. We were nearly relegated last season and a lot were of the opinion we would be thereabouts again yet we are 8th and 5 points off Everton, and a point ahead of Southampton both who get far more praise on here than we do.

Not much difference between 7th and 10th? Nowt apart from possible European qualification that the club and manager have made it clear they want to avoid at all costs.

On average, since 1996 (20 team league) our point total after 27 games is 38.1 points.

Our current total for 27 games has only been bettered 6 times in 18 years.

I don't raise this to defend Pardew, but to lament the complete lack of enthusiasm within the club about our potential for matching some of the best times a lot of us would remember.

I mean what?

Well if we aren't bothered about a last min winner taking us to 8th place, we aren't arsed for this position then. Therefore we expect to be top 6 rather than our season being over by March. We were nearly relegated last season and a lot were of the opinion we would be thereabouts again yet we are 8th and 5 points off Everton, and a point ahead of Southampton both who get far more praise on here than we do.

It hasn't got anything to do with where we finish though as we all know it's entirely irrelevant to next season, and the season after that, and beyond that until the club is eventually sold. We're not going to finish 6th and suddenly decide we want to kick on from there.

Most of the criticism is completely separate from league position TBF, which is fair enough I suppose.

Yeah but if we are doing well in the league and you get a last minute winner and only a give a 'meh', you are hardly happy with the way things are going in the league.

Results went our way this weekend with Everton and Southampton both dropping points and i think it's only natural to want to finish higher than them even if it doesn't make a huge difference.

Not much difference between 7th and 10th? Nowt apart from possible European qualification that the club and manager have made it clear they want to avoid at all costs.

On average, since 1996 (20 team league) our point total after 27 games is 38.1 points.

I don't raise this to defend Pardew, but to lament the complete lack of enthusiasm within the club about our potential for matching some of the best times a lot of us would remember.

At the start of the window we were in genuine contention for a top 4 finish. We went out and sold our best player that window, it's really difficult to get passionate about a club like that.

I felt no particualr need to jump around.

:o

I shoulder pressed my nephew.

I saw the pic of him in his Toon top and his coke. Did he catch the bug you reckon?

His previous games were Hull and Chelsea, so he's well versed in what Newcastle fan puts up with.  Exciting game against shit opposition we inexplicably lose and nearly brought him to tears.  Battling performance against good opposition we inexplicably win, and now some utter tedium.

Surprisingly he seemed to enjoy yesterday more than Chelsea.  Think he's following what goes on more.  He told me the linesman was flagging offside, which took me aback because in the Hull game he had no idea the teams had switched ends at half time :D

I felt no particualr need to jump around.

:o

I shoulder pressed my nephew.

I saw the pic of him in his Toon top and his coke. Did he catch the bug you reckon?

His previous games were Hull and Chelsea, so he's well versed in what Newcastle fan puts up with.  Exciting game against shit opposition we inexplicably lose and nearly brought him to tears.  Battling performance against good opposition we inexplicably win, and now some utter tedium.

Surprisingly he seemed to enjoy yesterday more than Chelsea.  Think he's following what goes on more.  He told me the linesman was flagging offside, which took me aback because in the Hull game he had no idea the teams had switched ends at half time :D

You'll be dragging Lanky up there with you next ;)

Guest bimpy474

Most of the criticism is completely separate from league position TBF, which is fair enough I suppose.

Could you be more grudging.

It is completely separate, as everyone tries to explain but some can't separate it as they're thick as fuck.

Guest bimpy474

Along with some of the worst performances, worst run of results and terrible Derby games I've ever seen in my 40 years supporting us. Not that I want to defend Ashley but sometimes I wonder if his lack of enthusiasm comes from those things, added to his spitefulness. In my opinion there's no turning round now, Ashley isn't interested anymore. I believe he was at the start but surrounded himself with the wrong people and right now we're being suffocated, we need him to sell to be able to breath again as a club.

Mind you the poor results and performances are his own fault for employing the idiot in charge of the team.

Using statements like “amongst the best times any of us can remember” is either deliberately inflammatory or simply a quite astonishing misunderstanding of how most people feel about the club.

A club who sell their best player when well placed in the table and don’t replace him, despite knowing since August that he was leaving

A club who freely admit they will not attempt to win cups and do not want to qualify for Europe

A club who plead poverty whilst at the same time, deliberately minimizing club revenue for the benefit of the owner

A club who regularly go on runs of form that rival the worst in the entire history of the club

A club who have thrown away thirty years of psychological advantage and now take regular hammerings from sunderland

A club that plays football that is at best functional and dull, at worst humiliatingly awful

You could make a list like this that goes on for weeks, if you want to start mentioning things like the manager consistently talking the club down and blaming the supporters for defeats on a regular basis and his refusal to use expensive players that our poor club managed to scrape the money together for (whilst at the same time crying his eyes out about injuries) and on, and on, and on.

But no. We’re all wrong because Brett and Happy Face (predictably back on board with Pards! TBF his stats over the last ten minutes of football are outstanding) have consulted the league table. I wouldn’t care if it said we were 3rd but 8th?! It’s the definition of mid-table mediocrity and that’s apparently a plus point. It’s certainly better than last season, I’ll give you that. Easy game this for the manager isn’t it? Take the club to a pathetically low ebb as a result of chronic mis-management, then next year they’ll all be grateful and asking me to wave when I serve up something that is slightly less dreadful… apart from when the mackems turn up of course.

Guest reefatoon

http://media.theweek.com/img/generic/biden-debate-ryan.gif

Goes to show how touchy folk are and how they'll argue with personalities rather than posts.

I specifically said it wasn't something I was saying to defend Pardew.  I said it was aimed at the club, all areas of management at the club.

That we have the potential to kick on, but constantly shoot ourselves in the foot at every level from the dugout upwards.

Guest bimpy474

Using statements like “amongst the best times any of us can remember” is either deliberately inflammatory or simply a quite astonishing misunderstanding of how most people feel about the club.

A club who sell their best player when well placed in the table and don’t replace him, despite knowing since August that he was leaving

A club who freely admit they will not attempt to win cups and do not want to qualify for Europe

A club who plead poverty whilst at the same time, deliberately minimizing club revenue for the benefit of the owner

A club who regularly go on runs of form that rival the worst in the entire history of the club

A club who have thrown away thirty years of psychological advantage and now take regular hammerings from sunderland

A club that plays football that is at best functional and dull, at worst humiliatingly awful

You could make a list like this that goes on for weeks, if you want to start mentioning things like the manager consistently talking the club down and blaming the supporters for defeats on a regular basis and his refusal to use expensive players that our poor club managed to scrape the money together for (whilst at the same time crying his eyes out about injuries) and on, and on, and on.

But no. We’re all wrong because Brett and Happy Face (predictably back on board with Pards! TBF his stats over the last ten minutes of football are outstanding) have consulted the league table. I wouldn’t care if it said we were 3rd but 8th?! It’s the definition of mid-table mediocrity and that’s apparently a plus point. It’s certainly better than last season, I’ll give you that. Easy game this for the manager isn’t it? Take the club to a pathetically low ebb as a result of chronic mis-management, then next year they’ll all be grateful and asking me to wave when I serve up something that is slightly less dreadful… apart from when the mackems turn up of course.

To be fair Wullie, I did read it the same way as you but when you look closely. HF does say, lack of enthusiasm from within the club to match the potential of some of the best times. By that I assume he means, Pardew out and a better manager in and Ashley to spend money to push on, with us sitting around 8th now, the 5th season we did nothing after it in that summer.

Or was I just fooled :lol: