Newcastle United 1 - 0 Aston Villa - 23/02/14 - post-match reaction from Page 35

BlueStar

Guest bimpy474

And won the FA Cup.

That gets you in the whole argument would you rather have an FA cup in the bag and spend a few years fighting in the Championship for it. Debatable  :lol:

Or, as they are in the Quarter Finals of that cup, played in the Europa League and are mounting a great run into the Championship play offs in a 46 game season.

Something that would fry your hero's brain to dust.

They bombed out of Europa early and outside of the playoffs is not an achievement, like. They now face Man City and i can't see history repeating itself. I still fancy them to be in the Championship for a couple of years yet as it's a very tough league to get out of of once you are in it. We did remarkably well to cruise out of it like we did.

You're an idiot.

I'm just saying i personally wouldn't take the risk of a cup win and a relegation in same season. PL is where you want to be. Nobody remembers boro for a cup win a decade ago. They are just a nothing team now who hover around mid table in the championship each year.

No one is saying that you nutcase. You defend your position by making stuff up people aren't implying or saying.

And won the FA Cup.

That gets you in the whole argument would you rather have an FA cup in the bag and spend a few years fighting in the Championship for it. Debatable  :lol:

Or, as they are in the Quarter Finals of that cup, played in the Europa League and are mounting a great run into the Championship play offs in a 46 game season.

They bombed out of Europa early and outside of the playoffs is not an achievement, like. They now face Man City and i can't see history repeating itself. I still fancy them to be in the Championship for a couple of years yet as it's a very tough league to get out of of once you are in it. We did remarkably well to cruise out of it like we did.

You're an idiot.

I'm just saying i personally wouldn't take the risk of a cup win and a relegation in same season. PL is where you want to be. Nobody remembers boro for a cup win a decade ago. They are just a nothing team now who hover around mid table in the championship each year.

No one is saying that you nutcase. You defend your position by making stuff up people aren't implying or saying.

So what you calling me an idiot for? Saying i can't see Wigan getting promoted? That they done shite in Europa? :lol:

It's not so much the boring football as it is our lack of creativity and impotence in the final 3rd. As boring as Chelsea can be they're one of the biggest attacking threats in the league.

Yeah because they have sheer class in the final 3rd. With the right manager they could steam roller teams just the way Man City do. Instead they score a goal and tend to sit back instead of going on and winning by 4/5/6.

They can control the game like that, we cant yet we try it time and time again to my dismay. They're also deadly on the counter, again something we're rubbish at.

It's just a silly comparison, and completely hypocritical considering you're happy to say "Yeah because they have sheer class in the final 3rd" whilst also not taking into consideration the personnel advantages we have over other sides, such as Wigan, Southampton, and before flogging Cabaye arguably Everton.

Guest bimpy474

And won the FA Cup.

You're an idiot.

So what you calling me an idiot for? Saying i can't see Wigan getting promoted? That they done shite in Europa? :lol:

Yes because that's exactly what i said isn't it.

Guest reefatoon

And won the FA Cup.

You're an idiot.

I'd give up mate.  It's like trying to finger a hermaphrodite, you just can't get through for the bollocks.

Most of the criticism is completely separate from league position TBF, which is fair enough I suppose.

Could you be more grudging.

It is completely separate, as everyone tries to explain but some can't separate it as they're thick as fuck.

The only reason I'm a bit begrudging is that I think we've almost created space for the wider grumbles to come in because we've had quite a good season results-wise. I mean, if we were scrapping for every point to avoid going down we wouldn't have so much time to worry about style or ambition. I accept the criticisms, but I think they have more space to breath (and be focussed on, and seem worse) because of what we have 'achieved'.

Most of the criticism is completely separate from league position TBF, which is fair enough I suppose.

It is completely separate, as everyone tries to explain but some can't separate it as they're thick as f***.

The only reason I'm a bit begrudging is that I think we've almost created space for the wider grumbles to come in because we've had quite a good season results-wise. I mean, if we were scrapping for every point to avoid going down we wouldn't have so much time to worry about style or ambition. I accept the criticisms, but I think they have more space to breath (and be focussed on, and seem worse) because of what we have 'achieved'.

:spit:

I don't care who tries or not. I want us to play good football and we don't and wont under Pardew.

I just want us to play players in their best positions in a shape the whole team is sure of that doesn't completely undermine our own ability to perform.  Lovely passing play that cuts through the opponnents final third is just a pipe dream.

Without Santon, I thought Pardew would choose a more sensible corner taker, but no, he had Dummet taking all the corners this time.  So we're treated to the site of him running to the top right corner and sprinting to get back to defend as a left back while Debuchy is at a loss as to whether he should chase back and cover his own side or make an allowance for Dummett and go more central.  He ran about 2 mile more than he needed to.

We had 6 midfielders/attackers whose overall position was as narrow as the centre circle...

http://i58.tinypic.com/ax1mwm.jpg

.. they all seemed to wander left and right at their own whim...usually left, leaving Cisse as a hopeless cause on the right.

Gouffran and Sissoko's average positions will be like that because they swapped wings.

Guest reefatoon

I don't care who tries or not. I want us to play good football and we don't and wont under Pardew.

I just want us to play players in their best positions in a shape the whole team is sure of that doesn't completely undermine our own ability to perform.  Lovely passing play that cuts through the opponnents final third is just a pipe dream.

Without Santon, I thought Pardew would choose a more sensible corner taker, but no, he had Dummet taking all the corners this time.  So we're treated to the site of him running to the top right corner and sprinting to get back to defend as a left back while Debuchy is at a loss as to whether he should chase back and cover his own side or make an allowance for Dummett and go more central.  He ran about 2 mile more than he needed to.

We had 6 midfielders/attackers whose overall position was as narrow as the centre circle...

.. they all seemed to wander left and right at their own whim...usually left, leaving Cisse as a hopeless cause on the right.

Gouffran and Sissoko's average positions will be like that because they swapped wings as much as anything.

They didn't seem to swap that much to be honest, for some reason, Sissoko kept wandering off to the left and Gouffran stayed on the left too.  I couldn't fathom out why they were both on the same side.

They bombed out of Europa early and outside of the playoffs is not an achievement, like. They now face Man City and i can't see history repeating itself. I still fancy them to be in the Championship for a couple of years yet as it's a very tough league to get out of once you are in it. We did remarkably well to cruise out of it like we did

You're an idiot.

So which bits are idiotic then? This is where i was lost to what you were saying. They played nice football, won the fa cup but got relegated. It's not something i feel jealous of. Boro/Mackems can take their cup wins or runners up medals but it doesn't make me jealous of them.

We could play better football more consistently but we have played some good stuff. I watched Southampton at the weekend pass the ball around in circles without doing anything with it against a side who we tore apart and they eventually lost 3-1 despite having the majority of the ball.

total rubbish.

Did you read the rest of the post and place that sentence into context.

1. What we do now.

2. what i ask for above

3. the cutting play you emboldened with our cromulentless post.

Being stuck at 1 makes 3 a pipe dream until we get through 2.

Gouffran and Sissoko's average positions will be like that because they swapped wings as much as anything.

They didn't seem to swap that much to be honest, for some reason, Sissoko kept wandering off to the left and Gouffran stayed on the left too.  I couldn't fathom out why they were both on the same side.

Exactly...which I referred to with my "usually left" comment.

Just to embellish instead of being an arse, I tried to think of the team I've seen this season who play with a hell of a lot of width and swap wingers the most, which is probably West Ham:

http://i.imgur.com/I3Vft1k.png

This is from their 2-0 win over Norwich. 7 is Jarvis, 23 is Downing (between Cole and Nolan).

My point is that it's too crude a measure for me, even if I agree with your general sentiment about shape at times.

You could look at that and say they were far too narrow, but they obviously weren't.

Gouffran seemed to play much of the game centrally too when Cisse was sent out to the right and Sissoko left. As usual we chopped and changed formations and I struggled to understand what the midfield were all meant to be doing and where they were meant to be at any given moment.

It is completely separate, as everyone tries to explain but some can't separate it as they're thick as f***.

I know, that's why I put it in inverted commas.

Just to embellish instead of being an arse, I tried to think of the team I've seen this season who play with a hell of a lot of width and swap wingers the most, which is probably West Ham:

http://i.imgur.com/I3Vft1k.png

This is from their 2-0 win over Norwich. 7 is Jarvis, 23 is Downing (between Cole and Nolan).

My point is that it's too crude a measure for me, even if I agree with your general sentiment about shape at times.

You could look at that and say they were far too narrow, but they obviously weren't.

It was a time saving diagram.  Not to show that our 6 players all conglomerate in the middle, but that they're all covering so much of the same ground together they end up in a mush in the middle of the park.  Like it would look if you did a heat map of an under fives game where they all chase the ball all day.

I'm sure we all agree on the point, without making it a boring statistical debate.

Gouffran, for the most part stuck to the left, on occasion he swapped out right which could be a tactical switch if worked well to stretch the opposition...

http://i62.tinypic.com/2vd31ts.jpg

Sissoko though, seemed more interested in a free role where he could roam left and right at will and seemed to do as much work on either flank...

http://i57.tinypic.com/2j4f0yd.jpg

I know, that's why I put it in inverted commas.

I realised that. It still made me laugh.

Guest bimpy474

They bombed out of Europa early and outside of the playoffs is not an achievement, like. They now face Man City and i can't see history repeating itself. I still fancy them to be in the Championship for a couple of years yet as it's a very tough league to get out of once you are in it. We did remarkably well to cruise out of it like we did

You're an idiot.

So which bits are idiotic then? This is where i was lost to what you were saying. They played nice football, won the fa cup but got relegated. It's not something i feel jealous of. Boro/Mackems can take their cup wins or runners up medals but it doesn't make me jealous of them.

We could play better football more consistently but we have played some good stuff. I watched Southampton at the weekend pass the ball around in circles without doing anything with it against a side who we tore apart and they eventually lost 3-1 despite having the majority of the ball.

It's their ability to cope with the amount of games they're involved in, with a smaller, lesser quailty squad. Yet mount a decent defence of the cup and a good league position now under Rosler.  Compare that to your hero.

Your post is again utter nonsense to what i said about Wigan, making stuff up again.