Newcastle United 1 - 0 Aston Villa - 23/02/14 - post-match reaction from Page 35

BlueStar

I think Brett's just arguing that a late winner is a reason to celebrate in itself, regardless of the wider context. He must have some sort of point, otherwise all fans of mid or lower table sides would basically stop bothering.

Their team's manager is probably trying to facilitate progress to be fair.

I think Brett's just arguing that a late winner is a reason to celebrate in itself, regardless of the wider context. He must have some sort of point, otherwise all fans of mid or lower table sides would basically stop bothering.

Again, this is ignoring the main point. No one is saying that being 8th is bad. Being 12th would be ok if there was an understanding that we are improving. Look at Hughton's time here, or Keegan's second spell when our main concern was to avoid relegation. In both cases there was genuine hope for the future. Now we know that this season is finished and we have no intention of chasing a UEFA place.

I think the majority of fans would have been delighted with a dour, grinding performance and a late winner if that kind of game was the exception, not the rule.

It kind of was the exception; as a rule lately we'll usually draw or lose those. :bluestar:

Only kidding but I was actually happy it happened. If I've ever said in the past that the joy of seeing the team win had been sucked out of me then I was wrong. It's still there. Muted, but not dead. Obviously anyone can feel whatever way they want, only speaking for myself like.

Again, this is ignoring the main point. No one is saying that being 8th is bad. Being 12th would be ok if there was an understanding that we are improving. Look at Hughton's time here, or Keegan's second spell when our main concern was to avoid relegation. In both cases there was genuine hope for the future. Now we know that this season is finished and we have no intention of chasing a UEFA place.

I guess in a way this is how Bayern/Barcelona/etc fans feel after they've won everything time and again.

We're Barcelona :cheesy:

It's not ignoring the main point, it's an ability to hold the two concepts together in your mind. I admit the bigger picture is bleak, but football as a sport still holds enough interest over each match.

On your last point though, I'm sick of people taking the Europa League moaning too literally. I'll never believe we're actively trying to finish lower in the league. Pardew must want to win every game, he would never have achieved anything in football if he didn't. Otherwise why celebrate the winner like that on Sunday?

I agree the club overall lacks ambition under Ashley, but I think it's a mistake to project that so literally onto the manager and players.

It's not ignoring the main point, it's an ability to hold the two concepts together in your mind. I admit the bigger picture is bleak, but football as a sport still holds enough interest over each match.

On your last point though, I'm sick of people taking the Europa League moaning too literally. I'll never believe we're actively trying to finish lower in the league. Pardew must want to win every game, he would never have achieved anything in football if he didn't. Otherwise why celebrate the winner like that on Sunday?

I agree the club overall lacks ambition under Ashley, but I think it's a mistake to project that so literally onto the manager and players.

Pardew's joy at the goal yesterday was more to do with his own situation, he proved that by pulling faces at the press box. As for me projecting anything onto the players and manager, the football itself speaks volumes. Goal celebrations aside, they looked like they were going through the motions for the majority of the game. Teams don't regularly concede 3 or 4 goals on a regular basis if they are up for it.

Look at the league table you silly boys.  All that matters is our league position RIGHT NOW.

Which is a bit weird really because last season when we were hovering just above the drop zone all season, we were often told that the only league position that mattered was the 5th from the season before.

Look at the league table you silly boys.  All that matters is our league position RIGHT NOW.

Which is a bit weird really because last season when we were hovering just above the drop zone all season, we were often told that the only league position that mattered was the 5th from the season before.

Yeah, shit, i'd forgot about that.  We're top of the league AND we finished fifth a while ago.  You've never had it so good you deluded geordie ingrates.

Come on, Ian. You're smarter than that.

I don't think anyone said that.

I don't think anyone said that.

Mick did.  He was always going on about how we should stick with Pardew for that fifth placed season.

I don't know what the future plans are. I don't think we would be any better or worse off if we stuck with Hughton. We could bring a new foreign manager in who might change style of football but it's not going to change Ashley's ambition. I've never budged from he's the biggest problem to why it's one step forward, two steps back.

As for the 90th minute winner, it's not like these come around weekly for us. They are rare and you enjoy them when they come along. I'd say the last time we had one was Fulham at home early in the season when Ben Arfa hit it. They are glorious moments and feelings in football when you grab a last gasp win, the position, the state of club or the performance during the match shouldn't take away your delight...unless you're already knocked out or relegated then that might be a bit underwhelming :lol:

Most of the criticism is completely separate from league position TBF, which is fair enough I suppose.

Yeah but if we are doing well in the league and you get a last minute winner and only a give a 'meh', you are hardly happy with the way things are going in the league. Results went our way this weekend with Everton and Southampton both dropping points and i think it's only natural to want to finish higher than them even if it doesn't make a huge difference.

:facepalm:

Absolutely clueless .

If you can't get yourself excited and jubilant over a last minute goal, you should look elsewhere for your entertainment. Doesn't matter if you are bottom of the league in the conference or 9th in the premier league or even playing Sunday league football, a 90th minute winner is simply euphoric.

I agree.

You have a point there Ian, what ambitions Ashley has for the club are a moot point. The manager should always want to do his best, the reason Ashley has no interest in the cups or Europe is not JUST because of the financial aspect, I'm sure he wouldn't be arsed if we won the Europa cup, the Capital One cup and the FA cup, so long as we remained a respectable position in the league. Our main problem is the fool in charge of the team unable to multitask.

Ashley is the main problem, under him I don't think any manager could make a charge for everything with such a slim squad, however a decent manager would take us further in at least one cup whilst maintaining the status quo in the premiership. Pardew and his shite tactics, training tequniques et al is whats cock blocking us.

The main aim is getting rid of Ashley and his corrosive regime but I do think a better manager could take us further in the short term.

Didn't get to see the full game due to timezones. The highlights looked promising. Plenty of pressure in the second half. Could have very easily had 3 or 4. Good shot from Cisse that was saved, should have buried that tap in, Remy hitting the post. Nice to see us creating chances in the final third. We still looked pretty static in midfield but our forwards were putting themselves about.

Didn't get to see the full game due to timezones. The highlights looked promising. Plenty of pressure in the second half. Could have very easily had 3 or 4. Good shot from Cisse that was saved, should have buried that tap in, Remy hitting the post. Nice to see us creating chances in the final third. We still looked pretty static in midfield but our forwards were putting themselves about.

I need to see those highlights, in reality the game was dead boring until the last few minuets.  All in all a shit show with an nice ending.

I need to see those highlights, in reality the game was dead boring until the last few minuets.  All in all a s*** show with an nice ending.

game was shite, but motd made us look tremendous :lol:

We were definitely the better team, but it was more a case of their defense was shitter than ours. We were both pretty toothless up front for the entire game. We were no creative powerhouse, we just worked decently hard and pressured their shite defence. They were there for the taking, and we almost managed to fuck it up thanks to some awful set pieces and a couple of missed sitters.

Incidentally, Remy impresses me with his ability to bounce back after a fuck up, the polar opposite to Cisse who gets in a fucking huff every time he smashes it over the bar from 6 yards.

Not just the highlights, the stats looked pretty favourable too.

55% possession.

23 shots to their 10.

5 ( :jesuswept: ) on target to their 2.

10 corners to their 1.

On paper it also looks like they bossed them.

We were very poor but they were absolutely pathetic second half. They barely attacked and I can't recall a shot.

Amazing considering they dominated for 25 minutes before half time, we're shit and hadn't won/scored at home in forever.