Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He's not specifically the problem, but definitely not the solution. He's treading water, doing just enough to get by.

You can point to goals and assists, those are 10 or so 'moments' in a season. He's a moments player, doing absolutely fuck all the rest of the time. During his 6 game spell Abeid showed the ability to control the game, something we have lacked ever since. With Carvjew the policy is to throw enough shit at the wall and hope some sticks. that's why he wants 11 Jack Colbacks. 

He's not specifically the problem, but definitely not the solution. He's treading water, doing just enough to get by.

You can point to goals and assists, those are 10 or so 'moments' in a season. He's a moments player, doing absolutely fuck all the rest of the time. During his 6 game spell Abeid showed the ability to control the game, something we have lacked ever since. With Carvjew the policy is to throw enough shit at the wall and hope some sticks. that's why he wants 11 Jack Colbacks. 

I think the main problem I have with him is that Anita and Abeid aren't playing. In a team proven time and time again not to be able to control possession or influence the tempo of the game.

Come on man, what does Carver-era Abeid mean? Every time he's played he's looking better than any of the other options.

I don't think he has looked the same since the return from injury. Lacking in confidence, imo, as is the whole team, tbf. Anita must be my Colback, because the boy has been here three years and is yet t=o establish himself in any way other than being squad filler. Why are people still asking for him? His best performances of this season were at fullback.

Guest zicomartin

Carver is constantly on his (MA's) back,  shouting  at him and undermining him when he is on the field, immediately hauling him off when we are behind or when he makes a mistake.

At which point, we concede any control of the rest of the game in midfield and start hoofing it at Perez or Armstrong.

MA would actually look good as a B2B midfielder with Tiote behind him, IMO

Come on man, what does Carver-era Abeid mean? Every time he's played he's looking better than any of the other options.

:thup:

He's only played 90 minutes 6 times all season, twice under Carver. Odd to make judgements about pre and post-Carver Abeid when he's played so few games in either 'era'.

Nah for me he's been poor since he's come back from injury. It was the game after the one where he made the big mistake and Carver had scapgoated him. He looked nervous every time he got the ball. Misplaced a number of simple passes. The lads head was clearly gone - rattled. It could've been the mistake from the previous game or the comments but he looked very nervous. Then hauled off I believe.

Colback would be on the bench of any half decent Premier League club. Baffles me why so many fans in real life rate the lad, am I missing something?

That he's currently started over 30 games in a team that is 1 game off relegation? So that must make him at least responsible for the terrible performance considering his been at the heart midfield for them all.

If he was actually a decent player, he would turn games round, dominate midfield and carry his partnering CM if he was having a bad game. When in fact he doesn't do any of those things, infact he does nothing of note.

He has a couple of goals granted, but you would expect this from any central midfielder, yet they never come when we really need them. They are never match winning goals or absolute worldies like Cabaye could score. His assists have either been long balls (Sammy v Spurs, not intentional as we always hammer the ball from kick off towards the LW or RW), or have been delivered from a set piece where somebody has to perform a ridiculous touch in order to encourage it goal bound (See Perez v Arsenal). He never picks out a killer through ball, he never splits a defence, he can't even switch the play.

There is a reason we struggle so badly with him in midfield. He's shit.

Nah, Abeid has noticeably dropped of performance wise to how he was playing in that spell. Playing as the holder brought the best of him, with sissoko on the right and colback on the left.

Abeid appeared to have the toughest skill of all which is that of controlling the game, just 'knowing' where the ball needs to go next and appreciating the space around him. It's what Michael Carrick has, Andrea Pirlo, the great holders. Just watch the way they manipulate the ball around like a silent conductor. It's glorious.

I'm still asking for him because he's better on the ball than anyone else in our midfield, and shows for the ball better, and we're unable to retain possession for more than about 10 seconds.

It's actually been his passing that has looked off in recent months. IMO his biggest strength is that he can get around the pitch making tackles and interceptions with relative ease and showing for passes. Anita & Colback really struggle to cover the ground. As if they are chasing the game.

Carver is constantly on his (MA's) back,  shouting  at him and undermining him when he is on the field, immediately hauling him off when we are behind or when he makes a mistake.

At which point, we concede any control of the rest of the game in midfield and start hoofing it at Perez or Armstrong.

MA would actually look good as a B2B midfielder with Tiote behind him, IMO

:thup: Tiote plays best when he's asked to make the tackle and lay it off to someone else, when you ask him to do anything but that it becomes a car crash. Tiote sits back and mops up, lays it off to Abied who can control the tempo of the game,  that would be the best pairing imho.

I'm still asking for him because he's better on the ball than anyone else in our midfield, and shows for the ball better, and we're unable to retain possession for more than about 10 seconds.

It's actually been his passing that has looked off in recent months. IMO his biggest strength is that he can get around the pitch making tackles and interceptions with relative ease and showing for passes. Anita & Colback really struggle to cover the ground. As if they are chasing the game.

Which is why I would really like him to be starting more games, and with some support from the manager and given a decent run of games I am sure Abeid would have shown those qualities. Abeid and Tiote get involved and dominate, they don't stand back and admire the opposition. Anita and Colback both have trouble covering ground quickly enough, that's why Colback often ends up lunging in and making late tackles. Anita has quicker acceleration so he can usually time them better, both of them are inferior as athletes to Tiote and Abeid.

But obviously the bigger problem is Ryan Taylor right now. The only reason he is is down to the combined efforts of Ashley, Kinnear and now Carver. It's the 101 on how to spectacularly implode a football club.

Soz I was talking about Anita. I agree with Abeid's strengths though, although I think his passing might improve once he bedded in.

Guest zicomartin

To paraphrase Thomas Tuchel, you find out your individual players' strengths and play to them.

Not our fuckwits, and their uncanny ability to totally ruin everybody.

Anita is just anonymous both ways. It is true that at the very least Colback will put a foot in to remind the opposition he is in fact playing. Anita doesn't even bother to do that. Anita has looked best at FB this season - how he lost his place to Jonas... I do know tbf.

We have a lot of average to crap options at CM. Colback isn't the worst by a longshot. The lad playing next to him is.

Soz I was talking about Anita. I agree with Abeid's strengths though, although I think his passing might improve once he bedded in.

Anita's been awful. He's just as anonymous, if not more than Colback. Passing? Get out. His pass success rate must be no better than Colback's and neither are ambitious on the ball. He moves his a bit quicker but.... he's been awful. At cm.

Anita is just anonymous both ways. It is true that at the very least Colback will put a foot in to remind the opposition he is in fact playing. Anita doesn't even bother to do that. Anita has looked best at FB this season - how he lost his place to Jonas... I do know tbf.

We have a lot of average to crap options at CM. Colback isn't the worst by a longshot. The lad playing next to him is.

How many good games has Colback had in the run of 1 point in 9 games? Being in the engine room you would imagine he'd at least stand out. Jonas has been getting plaudits for his running since he came back into the team despite him not providing one significant contribution to a goal which is what you would expect from a winger. From a centre midfielder you expect to see Colback doing what Jonas does, not providing an assist every 5 games. It's all backwards.

Jonas has been better than Colback since he's come back in, not that that's saying much.

As a midfielder yes, because he does actually stay involved and run for 90 mins which is what you want from a centre midfielder. As an attacking player he's useless, but in our crap run of 1 point in 9 games I don't think Colback has provided much either. Unless you count 50% less effort as something.