Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Apparently ran 2.5km more than any other player...

He certainly ran a long way after that Southampton player before pulling him down for the booking.

That was so cynical :facepalm: the kind of thing that would send me raging if it happened to one of our players.

Apparently ran 2.5km more than any other player...

He certainly ran a long way after that Southampton player before pulling him down for the booking.

That was so cynical :facepalm: the kind of thing that would send me raging if it happened to one of our players.

Wouldn't have been as bad if he had managed to take him down without needing ten attempts at it.

Also the way he lost the ball to lead to the foul was pathetic. Weak as piss.

It was the right thing to do once he'd got past him.

Problem is he gets himself in that situation too many times. Out of position and then too slow to catch them up so has to hack them down.

It's all about opinions. Mine is that players like Colback rarely catch the eye whilst  on the ball. It's not often that they inspire us, or we marvel at their contribution (in a "Christ I'm couldn't do that" kind of way). But you sharp notice the difference if nobody is doing that role: harrying (Gateshead/Morpeth Harrier-ing?? ) hassling, doing the running, closing down, narrowing the options, tackling. David Batty used to get a lot of stick (self included) for his sideways movement/slowing down of attacking momentum,  but had recognition from those who know, including Sir BR. (Soldiers are reliable, artists are not). I personally rate Colback more highly. IMO he  consistently puts in disciplined performances, and 'goes that extra mile' (or 2.5km...) and I include willingness to take a card for the team within a sense of discipline and commitment. I think he'll be a regular starter, and  reckon he'll add five goals, even from his deep role. 

It's all about opinions. Mine is that players like Colback rarely catch the eye whilst  on the ball. It's not often that they inspire us, or we marvel at their contribution (in a "Christ I'm couldn't do that" kind of way). But you sharp notice the difference if nobody is doing that role: harrying (Gateshead/Morpeth Harrier-ing?? ) hassling, doing the running, closing down, narrowing the options, tackling. David Batty used to get a lot of stick (self included) for his sideways movement/slowing down of attacking momentum,  but had recognition from those who know, including Sir BR. (Soldiers are reliable, artists are not). I personally rate Colback more highly. IMO he  consistently puts in disciplined performances, and 'goes that extra mile' (or 2.5km...) and I include willingness to take a card for the team within a sense of discipline and commitment. I think he'll be a regular starter, and  reckon he'll add five goals, even from his deep role.

f*** me. Recognizing what Colback is supposed to bring to the team despite his lack of real quality is one thing, and comparing him to David Batty is quite another. If Colback was anywhere near Batty's quality then he SHOULD be the first name on the team sheet. He isn't half the player though.

Seeing as he plays for NUFC I would love nothing more than for him to improve to that level however.

I'm usually quite patient with players but I can't see what he offers, genuinely. He's not as good as Tiote at breaking up play/DM, his passing and distribution is much worse that Anita, his set pieces are awful and presumably Wijnaldum will prove consistently better at those. He can't really dribble and he's not quick. He does have an alreet shot and gets on a few blocks like today (although why is he so deep in the first place?) but he's not worth accommodating IMO.

But he is at least decent in all of the categories you describe above. He's currently our best allround CM (let's wait until Gini settles) so I can totally understand why he's picked to play.

Do yo really think he is decent - I would say borderline average at best and I still say if he plays the majority of games then the team will end up absolutely nowhere. Can't believe some people actually think he is ok and the worrying thing is I actually think McCLaren will play him in every game. The amount of stupid free kicks he gives away is bordering on thickness and always in dangerous positions. He doesn't create anything and all he does is slow play down every time he gets the ball. In my opinion there was five players in that team who shouldn't be anywhere near it Colback, Anita, Colo, Hiadara and Obertan. If these continue to play over a period of time then there is no way this team is going to be anywhere apart from at the bottom end.

If the question was do I think a team with Jack Colback starting in CM can finish in the top 7/8 of the Premier League then yes, absolutely. It's the old glue guy argument from Basketball, just doing most things to a decent standard.

Shouldn't be starting games for us unless injuries absolutely dictate it

Harsh, he was as good as Anita today, although I'd be looking at strengthening that position before a forward (that counts for Cloback, Anita, Tiote and Abeid)

I'm insulted on David Batty's behalf at that comparison.

:lol: Just reminded me of the 'Rob Lee with less goals' comparison from last season.

This board is negative as f***. He had a decent game today.

:thup: He was at worst average today, and yet we are still gifted with continuous discussion of how poor a player he is.

Absolute idiots in this forum- go and wank off over Ben arfa in nice and watch them finish 7th

Shouldn't be starting games for us unless injuries absolutely dictate it

Harsh, he was as good as Anita today, although I'd be looking at strengthening that position before a forward (that counts for Cloback, Anita, Tiote and Abeid)

not really, we've realistically got one spot for either anita, colback or tiote to play the recycling possession / picking up from fullbacks and distributing game

anita is the best we have at it, has been for ages, and it's slowly starting to dawn on some people that this is the truth

tiote (when fit) offers much more presence, pace and physicality than colback in the defensive side of things

arguably between tiote and colback to backup anita imo, when everyone is fit

This board is negative as f***. He had a decent game today.

:thup: He was at worst average today, and yet we are still gifted with continuous discussion of how poor a player he is.

Absolute idiots in this forum- go and wank off over Ben arfa in nice and watch them finish 7th

It saddens me that people have such hate for the players who try to play the beautiful game. It is not your fault lad, you are a product of the media, you've been made to feel this way. One day you will break free and it will be a glorious day. I will pray for you my son.