The other games today - 2014/15

Trumpet

Guest Howaythetoon

Romario was ridiculously talented - one of my fave all-time players. He just oozed class and the quite difficult art of scoring and getting into scoring positions seemed effortless to the guy.

f*** that 94 barca side man. Stoichkov and Romario, Laudrup, Koeman  :aww:

Best football I've ever witnessed live until 2008. Our sound defeat at Athens diminished that side's standing and precipitated its demise, but that season was the best one we had under Cruyff.

Best football I've ever witnessed live until 2008. Our sound defeat at Athens diminished that side's standing and precipitated its demise, but that season was the best one we had under Cruyff.

Saw them get beaten here in Göteborg that year ('94). ;)

Saw them get beaten here in Göteborg that year ('94). ;)

That was the following season (1994-1995), the team was already in a steep decline by then. Laudrup had left for starters.

Is it some kind of trick question? Ronaldo wasn't better than Messi. I'd say 9 for the fat one, and 10 for Leo.

On his best days Ronaldo would score a hattrick all by himself, on his best days Messi scores a hattrick all by himself and then assists a couple more.

Well, I'm not so sure about that; when Messi is at the top of his game everything goes through him, he's far more dominant than Ronaldo was. If you mean aesthetically, I can give you that, prime Ronaldo's runs towards goal had a majestic combination of power and technique - but that's in the eye of the beholder.

Tell you what, man, there are no native English speakers where I work who would have put that shit together so well. Kudos.

They would have been "newsted, how do you spell 'aesthetically'?" - not that this would ever happen because they have never paid any attention to words - and "what's a beholder?"

:lol: My answers would've been "Look on Wiktionary, you lazy bastard" and "it's a nasty floaty thing with loads too many eyes, you twat" respectively.

So impressed. I should stick this in Language Corner but cba.

Is it some kind of trick question? Ronaldo wasn't better than Messi. I'd say 9 for the fat one, and 10 for Leo.

On his best days Ronaldo would score a hattrick all by himself, on his best days Messi scores a hattrick all by himself and then assists a couple more.

Well, I'm not so sure about that; when Messi is at the top of his game everything goes through him, he's far more dominant than Ronaldo was. If you mean aesthetically, I can give you that, prime Ronaldo's runs towards goal had a majestic combination of power and technique - but that's in the eye of the beholder.

Giving a 9 to Ronaldo and 10 to Messi says it all about Ronaldo. He played one season, as a 20-21 year old at Barcelona. Imagine what would've been of him without injuries. Already before joining Barcelona he had trouble with injuries at PSV. The guy was everything you could ask for from a number 9. That said Messi is the best player I've seen play.

Guest firetotheworks

This whole Zidane stepping up for big games thing seems to be conveniently ignoring his last ever game. :lol: Ye nah, the one where he headbutted a player and got sent off in the biggest game of all.

Absolute nonsense that you would pick him at his best over Ronaldo at his best like. I'd pick him if I wanted to watch something wonderful, but not if I wanted to win, not over Ronaldo.

This whole Zidane stepping up for big games thing seems to be conveniently ignoring his last ever game. :lol: Ye nah, the one where he headbutted a player in the biggest game of all.

Absolute nonsense that you would pick him at his best over Ronaldo at his best like. I'd pick him if I wanted to watch something wonderful, but not if I wanted to win, not over Ronaldo.

He did score like. He was man of the match in a good number of crucial games along the way in '06, '00, final in '98 and of course the CL winning volley.

Ronaldo's performances in his 2 CL final's kind of sum-up the few criticisms you can level at him. He scored in both but was a peripheral figure  largely in both the games. He over celebrated the last one and it is kind of why he can be hard to like. His Man U final goal was crucial obviously but he hasn't been THE difference the way some other greats have been. He's also been in a few semi's with Portugal and hasn't delivered - either in terms of goals or performance. But people are quick to forget how he destroyed a team like Bayern & Arsenal in the semi's.

What I don't like about this generation is the fixation on which individual is the best & over emphasis on stats. For me Xavi & Iniesta don't get the same plaudits but they have been out of this world. They make other players better - so did Zidane fwiw & that's what wins trophies and what should be admired. Madrid finally won La Decima not because of any individual but because the team was perfectly balanced. Alonso, Modric & ADM were absolutely brilliant. Bale complimented CR beautifully and Benzema can do it all. Not to mention 3 fullbacks being vital, 3 CB's being magnificent during the tournament. I mean if Ancelotti hadn't packed it in - Sergio Ramos would've won them the league & the CL with his goals and performances. Team man. Team.

I still love Messi & Ronaldo.

Guest firetotheworks

Don't you think it's a bit odd to criticise Ronaldo for his individual performances for Portugal and then talk about the importance of the team? Portugal are lifting and have been for a fair few years.

It'll be interesting to see what Ronaldo's like when he loses his pace.

He's always going to be fairly quick save for injuries. Giggs was fairly quick into his mid 30's. He'll be fairly explosive for a long time too - like Eto'o is still pretty rapid over short distances.

Robben is as well,. Convinced he's on drugs

Robbens only 30 but they do say early baldness is a side effect of PED's.

Injuries are a funny thing. Robben and Gerrard seemed pretty injury prone in their early days but seem better now.

Rio and Henry hit 30 - then couldn't stop being injured.  Rio Ferdinand used to be quick as an Ox - he got genuinely outpaced by A 33 year old Peter Crouch the other week. His body has disappeared.