2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Germany win again

Guest ManDoon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Main issue with Russia is that it should have been us. Still completely sour we've had the opportunity to follow Brazil stolen from us, would've been the best back-to-back World Cups ever.

Why should it have been England? Its less than 20 years since England last hosted a major tournament

Howay, I don't need to explain it, you're just being contrary. Everyone could see England was the right choice. As for the Euros, France had the World Cup in '98 and have the Euros in 2 years time, don't see why hosting the Euros 20 years ago has any bearing on hosting the World Cup.

Great craic lads.

Such a shame a German didn't take the p*ss out of David Luiz like he did to James Rodriguez.

Pretty certain he was showing that 'he's the man'.

Aye, I bet he was, being the gracious winner he is.

amazed at this, luiz was talking to rodriguez for a while when he was crying and then clearly pointed to him to show him up on the camera in a positive light, no fucking way he was taking the piss out of the lad like

loved that goal to win a world cup, absolutely lush

best team in the tournament won it, though argentina we better on the night

Guest firetotheworks

I loved seeing how much it means to the German players. When you see genuine emotion like that it suddenly dawns on you that amongst all the money, the agents and the bullshit, that you haven't seen it for a long time and that that's what it's all about.

Am I the only one who thinks Mascherano is overrated? Think he's quite limited in what he does.

I think Argentina's style of play this tournament has highlighted Mascherano's strengths - quintessential defensive midfielder strengths. They've tried to soak up some pressure which calls for at least one if not two "destroyer" types in front of the back 4. He's excelled in that role.

The weakness that comes from that is you're going to lack midfield drive going forward if you're going to play him and, say, Biglia. And as much as Argentina excelled defensively, it was also the reason IMO they struggled to impress - they had no-one driving forward from central midfield. Just meant they gave it to Messi/Di Maria and hope they ran with it and created something.

Am I the only one who thinks Mascherano is overrated? Think he's quite limited in what he does.

:pardsgrin:

Football friend

:lol: Just don't personally think he's anywhere near as good as his hype has been over the years. Even though he's an epic cunt I think Busquets is far more accomplished in that role, he just doesn't catch the eye as much because he's not making last ditch tackles all of the time.

I think Busquets is without doubt a more complete footballer. But in terms of this Argie set-up, Mascherano suits it very well. It's not an ideal system at all IMO and ultimately it got found out (if an attacking player doesn't do something brilliant you're screwed) but it definitely highlighted his strengths. A purely defensive midfielder with the sole intention of stopping the other team play. As the pressure cranked up, due to Argentina playing deep, it meant Mascherano had to slide in more and that gave him the perception of a heroic, last-ditch tackler.

Interested to see what happens with him at Barca this season. Hasn't Enrique said he wants to put Mascherano in midfield?

Guest firetotheworks

This is well worth a look. Looking through that makes you realise how good a World Cup it's been. I think it's going to be remembered very fondly despite the knockout stages being a bit under par. I thought the final was great as well tbh.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/gallery/2014/jul/14/world-cup-2014-best-photographs-brazil?CMP=twt_gu

Scolari sacked.

Thought he resigned

It's neither, he just won't be renewed. It's fair enough I guess, I'm still glad he was able to bring Brazil back on the map until the last two games. I don't think people remember how shit we actually were under Mano. We couldn't beat teams not named China or Iraq. Although I'm not happy with rumours doing the round that we're after a foreigner.

Had a great semi final but I thought he was poor yesterday, he lost the ball several times in dangerous areas

This is well worth a look. Looking through that makes you realise how good a World Cup it's been. I think it's going to be remembered very fondly despite the knockout stages being a bit under par. I thought the final was great as well tbh.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/gallery/2014/jul/14/world-cup-2014-best-photographs-brazil?CMP=twt_gu

Me too, the whole thing was just fucking ace. Aren't the knockout stages always a bit cagy? I even liked the grindy matches - you're never going to eliminate all of them. People are saying the knockout was disappointing, but just in the second round you had that fantastic Germany v Algeria match, Belgium v USA (which had one of the great extra-times), and the Netherlands beating Mexico in unbelievable fashion. And honestly, the Germany v Brazil game was the most extraordinary match I think I have ever seen.

Had a great semi final but I thought he was poor yesterday, he lost the ball several times in dangerous areas

I'm glad it's you who is posting that, because while I don't think he's an excellent player he was very very good in this World Cup. He was the soul of the team and yesterday he had a very good game, glad all the Argentinians who were interviewed on telly agreed.