2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Germany win again

Guest ManDoon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gutted about Neymar's injury, it's a middle finger to destiny. Without him and Silva, Germany should eliminate these in the semi but it won't feel right if Brazil aren't in the final. Such a shame for the golden boy.

Maybe they should but i would never rule out a host nation especially one that has shown a capability to defend and be dangerous from set pieces.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Brazil won tbh.

Anybody else sick of hearing the pundits saying they're shocked that Brazil aren't playing like Brazil? They haven't played that way since the 80s yet all of a sudden they should be able to go back to this mythical style of joga bonito.

:lol: Exactly, only Neymar has the capabilities to play that way. What the pundits are expecting of them they are not actually capable of.

I didn't see him going off that much. The fact that a fractured spine leads to the same reaction as bumping side-to-side with an opponent says quite a lot about the way players go on right now.

Apart from the fact it wasn't the same reaction.

Well longer-term it wasn't, but the faces the players were making after very innocuous challenges were extremely similar IMO.

Anybody else sick of hearing the pundits saying they're shocked that Brazil aren't playing like Brazil? They haven't played that way since the 80s yet all of a sudden they should be able to go back to this mythical style of joga bonito.

:lol: Exactly, only Neymar has the capabilities to play that way. What the pundits are expecting of them they are not actually capable of.

They've basically never been a flair team in my lifetime. The Ronaldo/Ronaldinho/Rivaldo was the closest, and that was a while ago now.

:thup: Everyone wants us to play with four #10s so when we lose we're naive and idiots.

Also Fernandinho has given this team so much inte knockouts. Been so impressed with his ability on the ball. He brings aggressiveness and roughness defensively and calmness and class offensively. Say what you want about being lucky with the yellow cards, but he's class and comparing him Van Bommel is an insult. (Whoever did that)

:thup: Everyone wants us to play with four #10s so when we lose we're naive and idiots.

Also Fernandinho has given this team so much inte knockouts. Been so impressed with his ability on the ball. He brings aggressiveness and roughness defensively and calmness and class offensively. Say what you want about being lucky with the yellow cards, but he's class and comparing him Van Bommel is an insult. (Whoever did that)

I compared him with Van Bommel in how cynical he has been with breaking up play with little fouls, which is exactly what Van Bommel did in the last World Cup.

It was nothing to do with their ability as footballers.

I wish we had somebody like Van Bommel in our team now. Without De Jong we might beat Costa Rica, but I fear Argentina or Belgium will have the freedom of the park in midfield. Van Bommel and De Jong may be dirty c***s, but they won't just let the opponent walk past them like the others will. Van Bommel could actually play a bit as well.

Edit: what Mole said

Remember a younger Van Bommel scoring a class goal and running the show at Old Trafford in the Champions League.

Think it wasn't that long after he scored one similar against England at White Hart Lane.

I wish we had somebody like Van Bommel in our team now. Without De Jong we might beat Costa Rica, but I fear Argentina or Belgium will have the freedom of the park in midfield. Van Bommel and De Jong may be dirty c***s, but they won't just let the opponent walk past them like the others will. Van Bommel could actually play a bit as well.

I know your team has exceeded expectations but how much of a miss will Strootman be at the business end of things? (Heard good things about him last season at Roma but never really seen much of him)

Im on my cell so couldn't see who wrote. Agree regarding van Bommel but Fernandinho is twice the player on the ball. Van Bommel was an excellent player on his day but he never had the ability on the ball like Fernandinho. Must've misunderstood/misread the post :thup:

Strootman was one of my surprises of last season personally, never seen him play before he joined Roma but he thoroughly impressed me last season. Reminds me a bit of Gerrard.

Quality player, hopefully he comes back asap as that Roma MF of De Rossi-Strootman-Pjanic was :megusta:

I know your team has exceeded expectations but how much of a miss will Strootman be at the business end of things? (Heard good things about him last season at Roma but never really seen much of him)

Strootman is actually quite similar to Van Bommel I would say, the closest we've got. Van Gaal has said that the Strootman injury is what made him rethink our tactics. The horrible 532 we're seeing today is a direct result of this. I would qualify it as a huge miss; we will never know if we would have got this far with him playing in our traditional 433, but I think we would certainly be more dominant in matches, if not a little more vulnerable defensively. The one player we absolutely can't do without however, is Arjen Robben. He's been sensational and has grown to become a true leader on and off the pitch. You could argue by being set up more defensively and letting the opponent come at us it is actually getting the best out of him too, as he gets more space to run in. What I also quite like about this set up is that if we go a goal down we have the ability to alter our approach to the game completely by bringing on a fresh winger like Depay. This was especially evident against Mexico for example, but Chile also, when we were simply a completely different animal in the last 20 minutes of the game. This is a fantastic weapon to have, and we might not be as efficient playing more attacking from the off.

To me Neymar's loss is going to take something away from the tournament, because the tournament needed a strong Brazil to keep the fantastic atmosphere alive. It will still be good against the germans, but the belief isn't going to be there so the edge will be missing. Devastating for the tournament as a whole, because stars like Neymar, Rodriguez and Messi have made this world cup shine.

Strootman is actually quite similar to Van Bommel I would say, the closest we've got. Van Gaal has said that the Strootman injury is what made him rethink our tactics. The horrible 532 we're seeing today is a direct result of this. I would qualify it as a huge miss; we will never know if we would have got this far with him playing in our traditional 433, but I think we would certainly be more dominant in matches, if not a little more vulnerable defensively. The one player we absolutely can't do without however, is Arjen Robben. He's been sensational and has grown to become a true leader on and off the pitch. You could argue by being set up more defensively and letting the opponent come at us it is actually getting the best out of him too, as he gets more space to run in. What I also quite like about this set up is that if we go a goal down we have the ability to alter our approach to the game completely by bringing on a fresh winger like Depay. This was especially evident against Mexico for example, but Chile also, when we were simply a completely different animal in the last 20 minutes of the game. This is a fantastic weapon to have, and we might not be as efficient playing more attacking from the off.

:thup: Thanks man. Completely agree with that you have said about Robben as well, totally taken his game to a whole new level over the last couple of years with that whole being a leader thing.

It's a shame for Neymar, but the Brazilians hacked their way through the confederations cup, they've hacked their way through this world cup, and would have happily ended Alexis Sanchez's or Rodriguez's cup. So you reap what you sow. I honestly think it would be a real shame if they made the final. I don't envy the Germans, their tactics will probably go into overdrive in the semi.

I'll hold my hand up and thought the Netherlands were out when they were 0-1 down, even with 10-20 mins to go. Just didn't expect them to have the mental strength to come back. I think some might be overlooking them a bit. Brazil are without Neymar and Silva, Argentina frankly solely rely on Messi - Netherlands have as good a chance as any.

It's a shame for Neymar, but the Brazilians hacked their way through the confederations cup, they've hacked their way through this world cup, and would have happily ended Alexis Sanchez's or Rodriguez's cup. So you reap what you sow. I honestly think it would be a real shame if they made the final. I don't envy the Germans, their tactics will probably go into overdrive in the semi.

:lol: You can think whatever you like about Brazil's tactics but it'd be a shame for Brazil to make the final of their own World Cup? Not having that. Brazil staying in the WC is massive for this WC as a whole.

I'll hold my hand up and thought the Netherlands were out when they were 0-1 down, even with 10-20 mins to go. Just didn't expect them to have the mental strength to come back. I think some might be overlooking them a bit. Brazil are without Neymar and Silva, Argentina frankly solely rely on Messi - Netherlands have as good a chance as any.

said before in this thread if it goes down to 2 games then i'd fancy robben to have a massive, massive say in this world cup....the dutch are able to play in a way that makes enough space for him to do his things, the argies are nowhere near mastering this for messi and he's really suffering (again)

to be honest best thing the argies could do imo would be move messi out to the right wing

:lol: You can think whatever you like about Brazil's tactics but it'd be a shame for Brazil to make the final of their own World Cup? Not having that. Brazil staying in the WC is massive for this WC as a whole.

It's not massive for me, I don't want a team of hackers to win what has been a good tournament.

Such hyperbole. Because lovely, pretty Brazil dare to be aggressive they're now a bunch of hackers?

They've not played as well as they potentially could have, that's for sure. But a) they haven't played that badly either and b) as I think Tooj pointed out, this team aren't going to go all joga bonito on you, even if they have some clearly quality players.

Such hyperbole. Because lovely, pretty Brazil dare to be aggressive they're now a bunch of hackers?

They've not played as well as they potentially could have, that's for sure. But a) they haven't played that badly either and b) as I think Tooj pointed out, this team aren't going to go all joga bonito on you, even if they have some clearly quality players.

They systematically tried to take Sanchez and Rodriguez out of the game, it's a clear tactic from Scolari and has been for a long time. It's not hyperbole, it's just a fact that this is a part of Brazilian football now and personally I don't like these tactics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27665182

I don't really care about joga bonito, apparently that phrase is a nike invention, I just can't root for a higher class version of Honduras.

All it needed was a strong ref last night and I honestly believe Colombia would have at least taken that to extra time last night. Spineless referees too scared to card a Brazilian player early on. Just allowing Brazil to systematically kick Rodriguez to shit, couple of justified yellows allows him more space to create chances and win the game.

Fair to say Colombia were no angels either like, just a really weak refereeing performance which ultimately benefitted Brazil imo.