3-5-2

Nepharite

Guest Haris Vuckic

Playing 3 in defence with wing backs has always fascinated me. I love the idea of it but it all hinges on the wing backs - any width depends solely on them. They have to be near-perfect.

Will we play it? No. The King doesn't appreciate new ideas that aren't from the 1980s.

3-5-2 of course, most famously used in the 1980s by Carlos Bilardo's Argentina....

Playing 3 in defence with wing backs has always fascinated me. I love the idea of it but it all hinges on the wing backs - any width depends solely on them. They have to be near-perfect.

Will we play it? No. The King doesn't appreciate new ideas that aren't from the 1980s.

3-5-2 of course, most famously used in the 1980s by Carlos Bilardo's Argentina....

You've got Luis Van Gaal as manager now. That's only the beginning of big fuck ups to come.

Everyone gets so excited because he did well at the World Cup. Well, he did.

Just ask Bayern Munich supporters they'll all be laughing that he's now managing Man Utd.

They still remember the famous "Tannenbaum formation". :lol:

Guest bimpy474

Didn't we play wing backs on the last day of the season? Worked ok.

9 at the back does tend to help not concede for a while like.

Well not new as in 'brand new' but formations are cyclical and this one seems to be coming back - as seen at the World Cup. What I meant is that it's a bit too continental, a bit too 'out of the box' for Pardew. It's a non-starter, anyway.

You've got Luis Van Gaal as manager now. That's only the beginning of big fuck ups to come.

Just ask Bayern Munich supporters they'll all be laughing that he's now managing Man Utd.

Three trophies and a CL runners up medal in the two years he was at Bayern. Poor them.

I think the 3 at the back isn't supposed to be permanent, 1 of the defenders is supposed to be able to push up and get involved in the midfield, so you need a really technical defender with some recovery pace.

Guest bimpy474

Didn't we play wing backs on the last day of the season? Worked ok.

9 at the back does tend to help not concede for a while like.

I thought we countered quite well and kept the ball ok for the first 45 mins.

Well you do tend to when you are lined up 5-4-1 as we were at Liverpool, we just swamped them for a while. To make a 3-5-2 (which i love by the way) system work offensively is difficult enough. Now just picture a defensive mentalist like Pardew trying to make it work......well......not good.

Guest bimpy474

Pardew can't even get 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1 to work properly and people are trying to confuse the tactical genius with 3-5-2?

Exactly. The bloke is a fucking spanner as it is trying make easier ones work.

Three trophies and a CL runners up medal in the two years he was at Bayern. Poor them.

Well, Bayern supporters. Says it all.

Still, im interested to see how that pans out. Can't see it, really can't see it going well for too long.

He already feels he's bigger than the club. It won't work for too long.

doesn't have to last for van gaal really does it?  i'd be amazed if he doesn't get them top 4 again this season, amazed, it'd be one of the biggest failure of his career surely?

He'll get them 3rd or 2nd I suppose.

doesn't have to last for van gaal really does it?  i'd be amazed if he doesn't get them top 4 again this season, amazed, it'd be one of the biggest failure of his career surely?

He'll get them 3rd or 2nd I suppose.

that's what they want next season imho, and i reckon they expect to be challenging by the end of 2-3 years which they will given the money they'll throw at it

Guest Haris Vuckic

Well not new as in 'brand new' but formations are cyclical and this one seems to be coming back - as seen at the World Cup. What I meant is that it's a bit too continental, a bit too 'out of the box' for Pardew. It's a non-starter, anyway.

Well he's used it twice (to my memory) at Newcastle and it's failed both times. Once we got lashed - the other narrowly beaten by a fluke but I don't think it's something we'll be revisiting too often.

I forgotten who he was talking about but Gary Neville was absolutely slating someone for using a 3-5-2 casually - i.e it's not just something you turn up and play. It's a system you practice for weeks. I think we could fashion wingbacks out of Anita/Haidara like. (Haven't seen much of Janmaat & Santon bombs forward anyway) I don't think it suits our centre halves though - Stevie Taylor gets confused when he looks in the mirror. .

You still see it a lot in serie a  - most obviously Juventus (3-5-1-1-) & Inter (3-5-1-1-) but I think their players are a bit more suited.

Guest bimpy474

I think the tossers will be pretty good going forward under Flat Face, scoring quite a few but pretty open defensively to get at.

Guest bimpy474

Well he's used it twice (to my memory) at Newcastle and it's failed both times. Once we got lashed - the other narrowly beaten by a fluke but I don't think it's something we'll be revisiting too often.

I forgotten who he was talking about but Gary Neville was absolutely slating someone for using a 3-5-2 casually - i.e it's not just something you turn up and play. It's a system you practice for weeks. I think we could fashion wingbacks out of Anita/Haidara like. (Haven't seen much of Janmaat & Santon bombs forward anyway) I don't think it suits our centre halves though - Stevie Taylor gets confused when he looks in the mirror. .

You still see it a lot in serie a  - most obviously Juventus (3-5-1-1-) & Inter (3-5-1-1-) but I think their players are a bit more suited.

Fwiw, we played 3-5-2 under Sir Bobby at Middlesbrough once and played really well at it and beat them easy, not a gauge to measure it with like :lol:

it's not just something you turn up and play. It's a system you practice for weeks.

and this is what has happened every single time i've ever seen nufc try it

i disagree with ronaldo to an extent that i think we do have a number of players who would suit the system but that would be based on the assumption that it was properly and thoroughly coached which it would never be with us

We tried this away at Stoke under Pardew (Sol Campbell brought in to help combat their 'strenf and fret') and got walloped 4-0. :lol:

What would start off as a 3-5-2 would also probably turn into a 6-3-1 anarl. It just gives him the excuse to be even more negative.