Ched Evans - Not Guilty

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Phillipealbert

if he wins his re-trial, and looking at the balance of evidence, suspect he likely will, I can see him aggressively pushing for counter charges against her, as well as some action against his former club, the ring leaders of that petition, Jessica Ennis, etc. Nothing like a couple of years in nick and the loss of your career to get your back up slightly.

Could get incredibly messy.

if he wins his re-trial, and looking at the balance of evidence, suspect he likely will, I can see him aggressively pushing for counter charges against her, as well as some action against his former club, the ring leaders of that petition, Jessica Ennis, etc. Nothing like a couple of years in nick and the loss of your career to get your back up slightly.

Could get incredibly messy.

Absolutely.

what is the point of a re-trial? from a public interest perspective (i'm talking £ here).

He has served his time.

He's part of the public and I imagine clearing your name if you felt you were wrongly labelled as a rapist would be of pretty big interest to you.

Guest Phillipealbert

If he is found to be not guilty, this will discourage any lass from coming forward over similar allegations. She's had enough s*** from people already, even when he was guilty.

He's not guilty, and only will be if he gets found guilty.

Rapists are disgusting and deserve everything they get, but I hope you're aware that less than 10% of accused rapists are proven guilty in court. I'm not suggesting that means 90% are innocent, but it's clear that crying rape is a huge problem, for two reasons:

1. Innocent people are being accused of rape and having their lives destroyed.

2. Actual rape victims have to face the 'cry rape' stigma because of those who do 'cry rape'.

In my opinion, the penalty for crying rape needs stiffening (although I acknowledge that the majority of cases will end not-guilty both ways on lack of evidence).

Guest Phillipealbert

I think the calls for girls to be punished if a rape accusation isn't proven in court to be completely absurd tbh.

They should only face prosecution if there is clear evidence that they have lied.

The majority of cases won't prove either way.

what is the point of a re-trial? from a public interest perspective (i'm talking £ here).

He has served his time.

He's part of the public and I imagine clearing your name if you felt you were wrongly labelled as a rapist would be of pretty big interest to you.

Hasn't he just done that?

Sorry I'm not that clued up on this (at all).

There's a difference between accusing someone of rape and them being found not guilty (which is different from innocent) and it being proven that the accusation was deliberately false and malicious.  Someone being found not guilty or freed on appeal because the case wasn't proven isn't grounds for prosecution of the complainant.

The new evidence will have been enough to have his conviction quashed but he needs to be re-trialed with that evidence in mind I assume. Sort of like a reverse charge, where you will be charged on evidence but then that evidence has to be taken to court for an outcome to be found.

Right and if its proven beyond all reasonably doubt that someone lied in order to try to get someone put in prison of course they should be punished, rape cases in that respect should be no different to any other.  That's not the same as being punished simply for not proving their case though.

I mean are you saying people should get a completely free pass to accuse someone of a crime with no chance of any repercussions no matter how frivolous the claim?  That would obviously be wrong and go against the entire legal system.

If he is found to be not guilty, this will discourage any lass from coming forward over similar allegations. She's had enough s*** from people already, even when he was guilty.

He's not guilty, and only will be if he gets found guilty.

Rapists are disgusting and deserve everything they get, but I hope you're aware that less than 10% of accused rapists are proven guilty in court. I'm not suggesting that means 90% are innocent, but it's clear that crying rape is a huge problem, for two reasons:

1. Innocent people are being accused of rape and having their lives destroyed.

2. Actual rape victims have to face the 'cry rape' stigma because of those who do 'cry rape'.

In my opinion, the penalty for crying rape needs stiffening (although I acknowledge that the majority of cases will end not-guilty both ways on lack of evidence).

The clear-up rate for burglaries is similar, about 10% as well. It's a real problem, all these people pretending they've been burgled. Throw away the key I say.