The other games today - 2014/15

Greg

Got what I wanted :megusta:

Aye, great draw.

Also possibly brings el undecimo just an inch closer. I wouldn't be surprised if Juve beat Real but Real have to be favourites in that tie.

That Bayern/Barca should be brilliant. I think Xavi might be crucial. If Barca can sneak ahead, Xavi could kill the tie even if it's off the bench.

I fancy Alonso to pick up a red in that tie. Possibly missing another final.

Just like he did against Sevilla? No, Xavis best days are gone, on odd occasions he can do it off the bench like against PSG, but you can't depend on him to kill ties off. It's all about Messi, Neymar or Suarez having a great day against Bayern on the counter because I just can't see Bayern not controlling the midfield no matter who plays.

You can't see Bayern not controlling the midfield? Against Busquets, Iniesta and Raketic/Xavi, with Messi dropping in as well? It could go either way which is what makes it so interesting. It's Bayern's forward line vs Barca's defence that seems like the big thing with me. I can see Barca being caught out at the back more than I can Bayern (despite how bad it was against Porto in the 1st Leg)

They've had trouble controlling midfield against far lesser technical teams this season, so yeah I can't see them controlling it against Alonso/Schwein/Lahm/Thiago. Barcelona gameplan will have to depend on using the counter just like against Atl Madrid. Messi dropping deep and playing Suarez and Neymar up top. Their midfield is good enough to prevent too many Bayern chances though and good enough to win ball deep in the back to start counters, but I'll be surprised if they dominate possession against them especially considering they're not that kind of team anymore.

Exactly, but the points that you mention re Barca's midfield are why I don't see Bayern necessarily dominating. They might edge it, but I don't think it'll be the reason why they win or lose.

:thup: Fair enough. I think Barcelona could end up not seeing much of the ball which rarely happens. Will be a great tie nonetheless. Hopefully Neymar can keep getting better like he has lately, Suarez keep dominating and Messi find energy somewhere to be able to play 180 minutes at his best.

Real v Juve

Barca v Bayern

So the final will be played over the two legs ;)

Such a s*** manager, that Allegri guy.

I still don't think he's anything special. They've had a relatively easy way to the semi's playing teams that on paper are weaker than them and also playing Dortmund which was out of form. Vidal, Pogba, Tevez are absolutely top class and that's not down to Allegri.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

Nothing to add I see, glad we agree then.

Aye, great draw.

Also possibly brings el undecimo just an inch closer. I wouldn't be surprised if Juve beat Real but Real have to be favourites in that tie.

That Bayern/Barca should be brilliant. I think Xavi might be crucial. If Barca can sneak ahead, Xavi could kill the tie even if it's off the bench.

Just like he did against Sevilla? No, Xavis best days are gone, on odd occasions he can do it off the bench like against PSG, but you can't depend on him to kill ties off. It's all about Messi, Neymar or Suarez having a great day against Bayern on the counter because I just can't see Bayern not controlling the midfield no matter who plays.

I only saw highlights of the Sevilla game. But Xavi killed the Real & PSG ties.

Barca don't control shit anymore, doesn't matter about the names it's how they setup. Rakitic and Iniesta spends more time covering their fullbacks than anything else ( which is partly responsible for Iniesta's shitty season by his standards)

Madrid's midfield dominated the Clasico until the Suarez goal and Busquets coming on and Bayern's is better than theirs, they have the weakest midfield of the remaining four teams not by name but how they use them.

They don't care for midfield control and all about quick transitions to their front 3, the game will be all about can they limit Bayern's ball dominance and cause damage on the counter. I'm not particularly convinced they can but we'll see.

Aye, great draw.

I only saw highlights of the Sevilla game. But Xavi killed the Real & PSG ties.

Suarez killed both ties IMO. But I understand what you mean, unfortunately he doesn't do that often enough though so it's a problem to have to rely on him to kill ties. It's all about that front-three creating magic in my opinion.

Barca don't control s*** anymore, doesn't matter about the names it's how they setup. Rakitic and Iniesta spends more time covering their fullbacks than anything else ( which is partly responsible for Iniesta's shitty season by his standards)

Madrid's midfield dominated the Clasico until the Suarez goal and Busquets coming on and Bayern's is better than theirs, they have the weakest midfield of the remaining four teams not by name but how they use them.

They don't care for midfield control and all about quick transitions to their front 3, the game will be all about can they limit Bayern's ball dominance and cause damage on the counter. I'm not particularly convinced they can but we'll see.

Share the same opinion as you. Their midfield is great at limiting opponents creativity though, Iniesta has put in some fantastic defensive efforts this season while offensively he's been average at best for big parts.

Honestly I get the feeling a lot of people over here haven't seen us play that much. We control games better than we did last season, our % possession is back at ridiculous levels (on par with Bayern's, I must say, and far above Real Madrid this season). We don't build from the midfield as much as we did, Luís Enrique prefers quick breaks, but I think people here are being quite over the top.

Real v Juve

Barca v Bayern

I still don't think he's anything special. They've had a relatively easy way to the semi's playing teams that on paper are weaker than them and also playing Dortmund which was out of form. Vidal, Pogba, Tevez are absolutely top class and that's not down to Allegri.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

Give Allegri his dues, Juve have had a terrific season so far. Dortmund were also on the back of 3 straight wins going into that tie.

Honestly I get the feeling a lot of people over here haven't seen us play that much. We control games better than we did last season, our % possession is back at ridiculous levels (on par with Bayern's, I must say, and far above Real Madrid this season). We don't build from the midfield as much as we did, Luís Enrique prefers quick breaks, but I think people here are being quite over the top.

Can't say I have seen you "control" many games this season tbh and possession doesn't necessarily mean control.

I have. Both legs against PSG for starters.

It's the same old story; we press up pitch and that open us to counters, which makes us vulnerable at the back. But that's not different to how it was back in 2008-2011, just with declining players.

Seen every Barcelona game this season and agree with Mole tbh. Real 1st half and Sevilla 2nd half are examples of that. Even Valencia where possession was dominated it was Valencia's midfield that were creating things. Playing against a PSG without Motta and Verratti and that in the second leg were trying to play a more direct style as they were having to score three doesn't mean that much either tbf. Suarez won that tie with individual brilliance and not the midfield.

It's definitely not as bad as last year under Tata, but it's nowhere near the Tiki Taka side. I love Busquets though and I think it's mostly down to him to why you can keep possession as he keeps things tidy, but it's nowhere near and I mean nowhere near what Bayern does with the ball in midfield. They win everything in the middle of the pitch, their battle is won there whereas Barcelonas isn't.

Hmm, I'm never keen on all-country finals, seems to take away something from the occasions. Plus they played each other last year in the Coppa final.

That said, I'm a bit bored of Sevilla winning it and Fiorentina are overdue some success.

Wonder what Napoli fans think of Benitez. Good chance they'll win Europa but way off the pace in the league

Napoli have a very weird squad that goes from somebody as good as Higuain upfront to somebody as shite as Britos in defence. Pretty imbalanced. They've needed a proper spine (top class GK, CB and particularly CM) for the last few years and still do if they want to get anywhere near Juve.

Benitez tried to address their midfield achillies heel in the summer and the club hummed and hawed because they still had the CL play-off and didn't want to spend. In the end they lost the qualifier and they ended up with De Guzman and David Lopez, two players no better than what they had nor the two they shipped out to make room.

So he's had his hands tied a bit in that sense, but being adrift of Roma and Lazio is not good enough regardless. I think if he was to leave this summer with no CL his spell would be looked upon pretty poorly, but if he goes with the Europa (and CL place) he'll probably be hailed as doing a great job. That's the fickle nature of football.

Real v Juve

Barca v Bayern

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

Allegri is doing all the work.

Rafa with his 7th European semi final in the last 12 years (2 of which he was outta work). Love him to win it and a great draw to reach the final in Warsaw. My ex-flatmate that we lived in Warsaw together is a Napoli STH and I told him to start looking for towards to Warsaw already. Stadion Naradowy is gorgeous....it'll be an amazing experience for whoever is in Warsaw at the time of the year.

On the other hand, I'm flying to London this Wednesday for the weekend, and the only fucking PL game in London next weekend is Westham-Burnley....not even a single crucial final match-day championship game for me to go to. Gutting !

Not sure why Allegri is getting all this praise myself, all he's done is beat the worst Dortmund in years and Monaco. He's doing what he should be doing anything less should be considered failure.

:thup:

Clearly old debate where Dinho thinks this proves him right. I don't agree whatsoever with him being the reason they're there. Contrs Juve was more convincing in the league than Allegris team.

Not sure why Allegri is getting all this praise myself, all he's done is beat the worst Dortmund in years and Monaco. He's doing what he should be doing anything less should be considered failure.

Clearly old debate where Dinho thinks this proves him right. I don't agree whatsoever with him being the reason they're there. Contrs Juve was more convincing in the league than Allegris team.

Besting Conte's domestic record would be near-impossible for any manager, let alone Allegri. Even then, he's 15 points clear, in the cup final and in the CL semis, and he's put his own stamp on an already-successful side by changing formation. Considering his relative unpopularity at the start of the season, he deserves a fair bit of credit for turning things around.

It's all very well harping on about expectation and how Juve should've walked through to the semis but surely a bit of context is needed here; Conte's great domestic side never made it past the quarters and went out of the group stage last season. At the end of the day, you can only beat what's in front of you - the fact that Allegri's done that in the CL while continuing to dominate domestically is worthy of praise. They're very capable of beating Real imo.

Besting Conte's domestic record would be near-impossible for any manager, let alone Allegri. Even then, he's 15 points clear, in the cup final and in the CL semis, and he's put his own stamp on an already-successful side by changing formation. Considering his relative unpopularity at the start of the season, he deserves a fair bit of credit for turning things around.

It's all very well harping on about expectation and how Juve should've walked through to the semis but surely a bit of context is needed here; Conte's great domestic side never made it past the quarters and went out of the group stage last season. At the end of the day, you can only beat what's in front of you - the fact that Allegri's done that in the CL while continuing to dominate domestically is worthy of praise. They're very capable of beating Real imo.

Of course, but at the same time they played Bayern in the quarters  of the CL which ended up being the best team in Europe that season. Had Allegri played Bayern again in the quarters I'd doubt they'd gone through. I don't see them as an improved team over Conte's Juventus, which for me says a lot since Conte himself isn't the best manager around.

Also think their squad is extremely underrated. Their midfield is one of the best in Europe with players like Pogba, Pirlo and Vidal. Add Marchisio and their defense which is basically the Italian defense over the past few years and they're a much better team than the rest in the Serie A with some serious investments such as Morata for a pretty hefty fee.

Allegri has done the job expected of a manager managing this Juve side considering the teams they've had to play in the CL. Anything short of going to the semi based on the draws would probably be a bit of a disappointment IMO.