AshleyOut.com

TK-421

What was the point of this comment then?  It's not relevant to the discussion or the thread or anything at all.

It's all well and good squashing all criticism, but how about we draw the line at threats of physical violence or property damage? Just a thought....

It was relevant to the whole 'you can't criticise the people who are taking action' meme, which of course has its limits, as I was trying to highlight. I suppose placing it in the campaign thread wasn't the best idea, but that wasn't intentional, it's a by-product of jumping across multiple threads.

This isn't a 'campaign thread', it's just a discussion thread for AshleyOut.com. The comments about firebombing Mike Ashley's house are likely just tongue in cheek, and not actual inducement for arson.

Would fully support it though...bombing places seems to work for the USA and UK

Guest alijmitchell

Living in Scotland, one of conclusions the Yes campaign had around the referendum was the need to create a new voice and a new media that supported the independence movement, since they believed very few establishment papers and media outlets allowed a balanced view.

Well, this is a difficult thing to do. As a neutral voter, as someone who actually flipped flopped many times between 'don't go' and 'let's see if they can do it', I can't say the press coverage of the referendum wasn't balanced at all. I think the Yes campaign balls it up simply because they got a few key things wrong - such as not having a clear stance on the Euro.

The danger with ignoring the mainstream media because you think they're biased and not representing the truth, is that you simply create an Echo chamber - your views on the issue simply get amplified, and the criticism gets silenced. Then when the poll doesn't go your way, people in the campaign are left scratching their heads, as they were convinced they were going to win. If you watch John Stewart you'll see the same sort of thing happened in the US general election - the Republicans couldn't believe Obama got a second term - but of course, for years they've been getting their 'Fair & Balanced' view on how good a president he is from Fox News, so they hadn't really understood how many people actually thought he was doing a good job.

Dismiss a media report which doesn't support your view at your peril - sure, a piece may claim Ashley is good news for NUFC because he's put the club on a stable financial footing, and that may be because the journo is a lazy hack or worse, a paid shill, but it may just be because a significant number of fans think that's true. and the guy's doing his job portraying how it is. In that case, unless you have any evidence that thee aren't a significant number of fans that think that way, then you can only really claim the piece is biased if it also fails to mention that many fans think he's a massive c***.

Now without getting into the referendum too much ask yourself this - where do people find facts about Ashley's dealings in NUFC. The Chronicle? The Journal? Talksport? The BBC? The Mag? You've got here, you've got a couple columnists, but little else since the media are either running scared, or banned. How many times have we said - "why doesn't the chronicle do some investigative journalism on the club"?

Anyone claiming the media was ignoring the groundswell of opposition against Ashley before AshleyOut.com is deluded. I mentioned earlier the Guardian blog put out a few days before the derby, that was scathing of Ashley hitting all messages that any AshleyOut campaigner could wish to see, but crucially, without giving a blanket statement that his way of running the club was wrong, or that it had universal condemnation by the fans. That's imho balanced reporting.

Where to start. Well I'm going to avoid the stuff about the specifics of whether I thought the ref was reported fairly because I think it'll de-rail this thread. No one wants to hear my opinion on indyref here. I bring it up as an example of how one side has decided to go.

On the other bits. No one proposed ignoring mainstream media, it's just that if you are going to take on a beast like Ashley,  you have to be relentless, determined and thoughtful in getting the view heard. Hell, every mainstream media outlet in the UK has a bias, and there needs to be consistent pressure through articles, opinion, social media, investigation to shine a spotlight on ashley.

We already are in an echo chamber. Sure you have a few people writing what I consider to be fairly tame pieces in the guardian and telegraph, but in reality, the media that connects with our fanbase at a local level, are hopelessly inadequate at even proposing an alternative view. We have a bloody PR agent feeding Thompson House and a bunch of spineless idiots at BBC Newcastle. There isn't much cutting edge work going on there. Plus, the more dissenters the better imo

Guest alijmitchell

Also, finally, it's about ownership. Fans who write and propose an alternative view don't have to rely on reporters to get off their arse every now and then to make noise. The fans are the only ones who care enough to carry this forward

My first post and it couldn't be in a better cause... if this snowballs into action we will begin to rattle the ape's cage at long last.

He is not thick skinned as the Chronicle have proved and raising awareness of this movement and making him vocally unwelcome on Tyneside inside and outside the ground would do for Phase1 of Operation Liposuction... (fat removal from NUFC)

:dave:

Mako is clearly a Mackem troll. Registers the day after they beat us and then proceeds to write 87 posts of utter drivel that only a thick red and whiter could. Best ignored and he'll go away.

Bollocks. It's people like you who turn forums like this into one-dimensional echo chambers. We've got people claiming the media are biased and not representing the true fan at the very same time I just watched Look North vox-boxing a fan coming out of the SOL and giving Ashley both barrells, summing up in a few words what the issue is - "nothing will change until Ashley is gone" or words to that effect. You've clearly not read a single one of my posts, otherwise you wouldn't be claiming I write drivel - it won't take anyone long to figure out my posts are pretty much consistent with what that fan said. But I'll tell you what, "Wallsend Mag", I'd certainly prefer to have a drink with an open minded mackem than 10 Mags who think like you - where anyone who posts anything slightly off message is "clearly a Mackem troll". I'd tell you to fuck right off for that blatant insult, if I didn't think that's exactly the reaction you were probably hoping for.

Well they're pretty desperate to keep the status quo

Another lie. Never said it. Never thought it. Spotting these blatant lies about me on here is like shooting fish in a barrell.

Another lie. Never said it. Never thought it. Spotting these blatant lies about me on here is like shooting fish in a barrell.

I've read your posts but must have missed it. What is your plan to do either personally or working with others to change the situation? What will you be doing on match day (in the stadium or not or haven't been for ages?) im curious as much from you as others who are critics of AshleyOut as to what you are going to do or do you just accept everything is shit but will just keep going and be happy with it?

Mako is clearly a Mackem troll. Registers the day after they beat us and then proceeds to write 87 posts of utter drivel that only a thick red and whiter could. Best ignored and he'll go away.

Bollocks. It's people like you who turn forums like this into one-dimensional echo chambers. We've got people claiming the media are biased and not representing the true fan at the very same time I just watched Look North vox-boxing a fan coming out of the SOL and giving Ashley both barrells, summing up in a few words what the issue is - "nothing will change until Ashley is gone" or words to that effect. You've clearly not read a single one of my posts, otherwise you wouldn't be claiming I write drivel - it won't take anyone long to figure out my posts are pretty much consistent with what that fan said. But I'll tell you what, "Wallsend Mag", I'd certainly prefer to have a drink with an open minded mackem than 10 Mags who think like you - where anyone who posts anything slightly off message is "clearly a Mackem troll". I'd tell you to fuck right off for that blatant insult, if I didn't think that's exactly the reaction you were probably hoping for.

So you're trying to claim that the local media are not biased because you've just seen them vox-boxing a fan who slagged off Ashley?

Any paper who says something that the club doesn't like is banned, so it hardly takes some mental conspiracy theory to suggest they all toe the line. The short while after the Chronicle were banned they absolutely blasted the club, now we're back to polls about how what the North East's favourite loaf of bread is or something.

Guest antz1uk

Mako

Re: AshleyOut.com

« Reply #540 on: Today at 07:02:42 PM »

You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

what an absolute bellend

I've read your posts but must have missed it. What is your plan to do either personally or working with others to change the situation? What will you be doing on match day (in the stadium or not or haven't been for ages?) im curious as much from you as others who are critics of AshleyOut as to what you are going to do or do you just accept everything is s*** but will just keep going and be happy with it?

I outlined how a mass boycott could work in a long post somewhere, but I will admit I don't really think it would work. I've not been to a game in a long while, and probably never will under Ashley, unless it's as part of a well organised and well advertised/publicised protest. I'm not sitting back and accepting it, I'm denying Ashley money and my face in the stands. To be persuaded to do anything else, I'd have to be convinced some serious thought had gone into it and there was a clear strategy behind it. I've got a few ideas for smaller things the campaign could do as part of a wider effort, but there's a few so-called Mags on here working their asses off to get me banned as a 'Mackem Troll' and generally lying about what I've said/think/believe, so you might never hear them.

So you agree with a lot of fans by not having a season ticket and you want Ashley out to succeed but don't think it will. Seen as you don't go to games then I guess you just have to hope. I'm failing to see the problem here.

I've read your posts but must have missed it. What is your plan to do either personally or working with others to change the situation? What will you be doing on match day (in the stadium or not or haven't been for ages?) im curious as much from you as others who are critics of AshleyOut as to what you are going to do or do you just accept everything is s*** but will just keep going and be happy with it?

I outlined how a mass boycott could work in a long post somewhere, but I will admit I don't really think it would work. I've not been to a game in a long while, and probably never will under Ashley, unless it's as part of a well organised and well advertised/publicised protest. I'm not sitting back and accepting it, I'm denying Ashley money and my face in the stands. To be persuaded to do anything else, I'd have to be convinced some serious thought had gone into it and there was a clear strategy behind it. I've got a few ideas for smaller things the campaign could do as part of a wider effort, but there's a few so-called Mags on here working their asses off to get me banned as a 'Mackem Troll' and generally lying about what I've said/think/believe, so you might never hear them.

Please be nice to him everyone, unless we'll miss out on his super idea! Just email the people behind AO if you have anything worth mentioning.

Mako

what an absolute bellend

??? Who am I ignoring? I can't follow who you mean. Just paste the post here and I'll answer whatever it is I apparently ignored.

So you agree with a lot of fans by not having a season ticket and you want Ashley out to succeed but don't think it will. Seen as you don't go to games then I guess you just have to hope. I'm failing to see the problem here.

No problem from me. I want it to succeed, obviously, despite what certain bullshit merchants on here would have you believe. All I said was if the same people behind Ashley Out are the people who organised SackPardew, then I had very little hope of success (the reasons why can be found elsewhere). Not a popular opinion by all accounts.

Mako

what an absolute bellend

??? Who am I ignoring? I can't follow who you mean. Just paste the post here and I'll answer whatever it is I apparently ignored.

I believe he's ignoring you, you can still see his posts he'll get a message saying the user has posted who he's ignoring.