Alternate NUFC Timeline

bulivye

Not getting rid of Shearer when his legs started going. Getting rid of Sir Bob. (the two are linked)

Appointing Keegan the second time round.

Appointing Kinnear DOF.

You need a slap.

Back of the queue Twinport53

Not getting rid of Shearer when his legs started going. Getting rid of Sir Bob. (the two are linked)

Appointing Kinnear DOF.

The first mistake Shepherd made was not getting rid of Bobby in the summer of 2004 (that 5th place finish massively glossed over how s*** we were that season) and his next one was appointing Souness instead of someone decent.

Pretty sure Shepherd made quite a few mistakes before then tbh

Appointing Kinnear DOF.

You need a slap.

Aye, think I will be waiting my turn like :lol:

Guest neesy111

If the referee had not disallowed that Viduka goal v Fulham.

Shearer may have been given the job. Wonder what we'd have done without the relegation clearout.

I think a clearout would had happened in anycase.

More recently, not investing properly after finishing 5th. Likely we wouldn't have done it again but we wouldn't have spent the whole season battling fucking relegation and probably could've made it further in the Europa.

Sir Bobby not taking over from KK and Dalglish coming instead,  SBR taking over KK's team with the money that Dalglish then Gullit spent could have seen us winning leagues and cups.

I wonder if Graham Fenton regrets scoring those 2 goals. When Batty scored the title was still in our own hands. Not winning that title changed us mainly because it affected KK, we may have signed Shearer but KK clearly had self doubts after blowing the league, there was all the flotation talk and he walked too early. We should have tied the bugger down and made him stay.

This is probably close. We were on the verge of greatness, but it was all disorganised, and lovely Kev was a bit fragile, bless him. We didn't have someone with nous and determination above him, so I guess it was doomed anyway. We've always been run by greedy feckless egotists in my lifetime, until the current greedy ruthless egotist took over, so I don't think success has ever been on the cards. :( WAFL.

Never expected any different to be fair, that's the deal and it always has been, from Lord Westwood onwards. The Keegan years were a proper rush, like, loved that time. I still feel like Sky and the twats Keys and Gray played a part in his downfall, probably the rest of the media too. Tall Poppy Syndrome, innit? Well, we're back in our box now.

Appointing Kinnear DOF.

You need a slap.

Aye, think I will be waiting my turn like :lol:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/454527/airlane-slap-o.gif

Guest neesy111

Keegan scraping the reserves, might of had some decent youth players come through.

Keegan scraping the reserves, might of had some decent youth players come through.

That was just because the league demanded he used SJP for the reserves' home games and he wanted the pitch to be perfect for the first team, so he pulled out of the league. They still played friendlies and such, but, y'know, the press did their thing with that. I recall coverage being quite hostile at times tbh, and a lot of our fans being critical. I was all "we've never had it so good", but people are what they are. If my fading memory serves.

There were no decent youth players coming through at the time - the best of the bunch was probably Paul Brayson, who was shite anyway.

From what I've read Mourinho turned it down as he didn't want to be an assistant.

Bobby promised him he could take the head coach job after a year or two but Mourinho wanted to do things completely on his own.

Guest chicken little

nope,  a well-run football club would have had Shearer out to pasture about eighteen months before we did

Anyway, alternate universe Sir Bobby is replaced in summer 2004 with outgoing Liverpool manager Gerard Houlier.  While not pulling up any trees, Newcastle remain in the top 5 of the Premier League, don't spunk a load of cash on Souness signings the following summer, making themselves vulnerable to a take over by a modern day rag and bone man but are eventually bought by Sheik Mansour.

However, as this is Newcastle United, oil suddenly becomes worthless as science develops fuel from turnips that also results in the finest condiment known to man, ending both poverty and world hunger in one swoop.  Houllier is killed by the alternate universe Souness Terminator and Glenn Roeder has been manager since 2006 and the oil crash has sent the owner into a deep depression, taking all advice from a frog named Toby.  The Roeder / Toby management team has managed to keep Newcastle in the Premier League and have yet to lose a derby.