FIFA World Cup: 2030 hosts confirmed as Spain/Portugal/Morocco & Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay

Noodles

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

:lol: No.

Erm, yes. You either want the middle east to progress (or 'progress', in my view) or you don't. If it's yes, then shut the fuck up about a middle eastern country participating with the world. 

Or maybe you can critically analyse your liberal idols in the media (i.e., that shit article in the Guardian re the 6500 deaths). 

2 hours ago, Dinho lad said:

You didn't stop enjoying life when you invaded other countries, so we're not going to stop enjoying our life when we're hosting a world event.  Deal with it. 

:) 

Banging choon

4 minutes ago, Heron said:

If the stance is that we should boycott the world cup because there were 15,000 deaths to make the World Cup happen. Does boycotting it not ultimately mean that those people died in vain?

They died in vain regardless. The whole idea is presumably, give world cups to countries with human rights records like that and we won't watch it and you'll lose money.

Can't imagine it'll happen to any meaningful level though.

13 minutes ago, Dinho lad said:

Erm, yes. You either want the middle east to progress (or 'progress', in my view) or you don't. If it's yes, then shut the fuck up about a middle eastern country participating with the world. 

Or maybe you can critically analyse your liberal idols in the media (i.e., that shit article in the Guardian re the 6500 deaths). 

Liberal idols ffs. I couldn't be any more anti-liberal if I tried, you fucking ignorant dipshit :lol:

I don't count 'participating with the world' as 'progress' when nothing significant has changed - you know? The things that would warrant the use of the word progress. Qatar was given a World Cup then proceeded to work labourers to death. That's not 'progress', that's vindication for not progressing.

The idea that you think you can lecture anyone on critical analysis is priceless, you consistently have the most brain dead, ill-informed takes on here that don't even pass the most basic scrutiny. You're a joke 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Actually, most of your post comes across as some sort rants from a irrational housewife. Says it all. 

And if you don't consider the progress Qatar made over the last decade or two as progress, then you're probably a fool who definitely needs to think rationally about it, with some perspective. 

Edited by Dinho lad

29 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

They died in vain regardless. The whole idea is presumably, give world cups to countries with human rights records like that and we won't watch it and you'll lose money.

Can't imagine it'll happen to any meaningful level though.

Me neither.

For me, I think this is a very difficult situation to navigate. The Qatari people have as much right as anyone to play host. However, the human rights issues and deaths cannot simply be ignored.

I personally feel that, if we want countries like Qatar to 'progress' to our way of thinking and give equality to all walks of life then shutting the door on them isn't the best solution. Perhaps, the World Cup might bring about some form of culture clash that actually benefits the Qatari people and others from around the world.

For example, they probably frown upon pissed England fans dancing on cars with fireworks hanging out their arse, which is somewhat less of an issue (to say the least). Perhaps, fans going there, not able to get absolutely blitzed on drink and understand Muslim/Arabic culture might enlighten many, and as part of other cultures travelling there it might influence them into understanding that actually it is better to live peacefully and without prejudice of women and homosexuals, etc.

I just think shutting the door on it is more likely to create more conflict/less likely to 'resolve' issues.

Edited by Heron

19 minutes ago, Heron said:

Me neither.

For me, I think this is a very difficult situation to navigate. The Qatari people have as much right as anyone to play host. However, the human rights issues and deaths cannot simply be ignored.

I personally feel that, if we want countries like Qatar to 'progress' to our way of thinking and give equality to all walks of life then shutting the door on them isn't the best solution. Perhaps, the World Cup might bring about some form of culture clash that actually benefits the Qatari people and others from around the world.

For example, they probably frown upon pissed England fans dancing on cars with fireworks hanging out their arse, which is somewhat less of an issue (to say the least). Perhaps, fans going there, not able to get absolutely blitzed on drink and understand Muslim/Arabic culture might enlighten many, and as part of other cultures travelling there it might influence them into understanding that actually it is better to live peacefully and without prejudice of women and homosexuals, etc.

I just think shutting the door on it is more likely to create more conflict/less likely to 'resolve' issues.

I take all of the points you're making, I just see it on the other side of the coin, that Qatar has essentially being rewarded before having made any progress, then haven't made any significant progress in the meantime.

Think of all the previous examples of the same sort of thing happening - Berlin 1936, China 2008, Russia 2018, they changed and stopped nothing. Even looking in our own back yard, did the 2012 Olympics change anything in our own national psyche? Considering everything that followed I think it's hard to argue that it did.

FWIW I think in a non-corrupt FIFA, carrot and stick would be the best way. ie countries are told that until they do achievable X, Y, and Z they won't get a World Cup, then the ones that do are shown to be rewarded.

Completely unrealistic and naive like, especially now that Qatar has been frowned upon but accepted, including by the precious advertisers.

6 hours ago, joeyt said:

From someone who cries about women's status in the world this is quite a statement

You're happy being subordinated for being an average male? Let me guess, you enjoy being dominated and Dom matrixed? (or whatever you call it).

Not much masculinity left in this part of the world. Shameful. 

You're nothing more than stereotyping me now. For your information, in the Arabic Gulf countries, it's much more safer for women there, more than in the Western world. 

But don't let this fact shake your lifelong ignorant assumptions and notions; it can be hard for a human being to accept challenges to his/her core beliefs. 

Just go to the pub, fella, that'll take your mind off things. 

I am genuinely interested to know what men need to be doing in the UK in order to make sure women don't insubordinate us, not going to put any words in your mouth but would be keen to find out what we could be doing differently

27 minutes ago, Dinho lad said:

You're happy being subordinated for being an average male? Let me guess, you enjoy being dominated and Dom matrixed? (or whatever you call it).

Not much masculinity left in this part of the world. Shameful. 

Amazing post. So much to unpack, yet hilarious at the same time.

I can list a long list of legal and societal inequalities, but why should i waste my time for people who are too lazy to investigate things beyond the broad mainstream narrative?  

Clearly, all you have to do is do a bit of research about it. Yes, not every argument is valid, but there's a lot of CLEAR equalities. But you'd only notice it if you actually bother coming out from your tried and trusted comfort zone. As I said, challenges to core beliefs can't be difficult for us human!  

@Kid Icarus That's just soooooo ironic coming from someone who is too emotional too often. Your once stated that you can't bear being on your own for too long without a relationship!!  So, what the fuck do you know about being masculine? :lol: